EU could be fining Google over Android

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Truder, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Abomlol

Abomlol Member

GPU:
    GTX1070
    This should have happened a long time ago, but I'm glad it's happening now.

It's the browser wars all over again. Smart phone's are inherently anti-competitive and Apple is the worst offender.

2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Might have to do with everything being produced by em i gues i might be wrong. Would have been the same if googlemhad.only the nexus and pixel phones. Leaving every other manifacturer to make theirnown os or use something else i guess, the main argument seems to be that they do not give much of a choise to the 3rd party phone makers...well thats how i understand it at least

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you could cure cancer but the EU would tax it.....money Grabbers.

so obvious...

see the file cabinet behind this lady

[​IMG]

That's what I thought.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I remember when Chrome became popular, it was because of it's lightweight and efficient footprint of a web browser, using little ram and processing time but can we say the same of that today? With being a memory hog and full of pervasive tracking facilities which for the latter, the end user has to opt-out of... I'm not so sure...

carnivore likes this.

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I can’t delete Safari from my iPhone and I have to find alternatives in the App Store, when is the lawsuit coming?

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Phone manufacturers are free to use their own OS, and they're also free to use Android without Google services. As I mentioned before, Amazon creates Android tablets which only use Amazon services (Fire tablets). Other manufacturers can also do the same and only include their own app store, apps and services on their Android devices, but if they want to use Google services (YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail) then they need to play by Google's rules. These rules include having certain Google apps as essential apps, which I believe is the crux of the issue.

Basically, what Google would have to do is allow these apps to be uninstalled even if the phone uses Google services. This way, phone makers, carriers and users can install their own apps. Frankly, I don't think would be a major issue since most people want to use Google services anyways (Samsung also includes their own apps and app store in their phones, but everybody hates them :p), but it would be a major change from the way Google has done things up to now regarding Android.

Venix likes this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    There are plenty of choices available if you don't like Chrome. It's not like how it was in the old days when you only had a handful of browsers. Now there are literally hundreds of browsers available, on both desktop and mobile.

As I've been saying, just because something is bundled, doesn't mean you have to use it.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    EU antitrust regulations, damn... that's wahy above my armchair grade.
    I'm glad you guys know all these pooping outside rules.

All I know is I want some of that sweet Google money for me and my EU overlords.
    Can't wait. Gonna put it on top of my free NATO money; proly invest everything in Nord Stream 2... still haven't decided.

methinks Apple already has several suits on their hands in EU, as well as few investigations pending

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    This piss me off.
    Android is open source, and google offers a bundle of app that you can get or not get.
    Chromium is open source too and there are alternatives, so is ultimately a vendor choice to go full google.

What is next? facebook not opening whatsapp protocol fined because if you want to chat with your friends you have to use whatsapp??

This dominant position is bullshit.

Apple does not get fined because apple is not in a dominant position at all in europe.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You never asked to have calendar, clock widget, mp3 player, camera application, ...
    What would you do if your android phone came without tools required to access internet/install anything? You would likely enjoy your dumb phone.
    Clean android installation is very reasonable. So, question: "Have you ever downloaded vanilla android and run it in emulator?"

Because very few people actually know android for what it is. They know very customized distribution done by phone manufacturer and then often repackaged by cell provider.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    This is a company that makes an obscene amount of profit with little oversight. Microsoft got nailed for essentially the same thing. Were folks upset then? I doubt it as most here like to bash Windows.

All my phones are android and Google/Alphabet deserves this and more.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Oh yeah you are right! I guess then samsung etc will procced to lock their apps!

13. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    "smartphone makers who wanted to use Android were obliged to pre-install the company's search engine"
    If true, Google need to be given the maximum fine.

14. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    RT is a beacon of truth, because nothing says more independent, as being funded by Russian government.

sykozis, carnivore and fry178 like this.
  15. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    lol thats a huge fine.

Can see this thread going the wrong way so lets keep it on topic :)

I would love to see their justification and breakdown for such a large fine.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That does not sound right.
    On one side of your own argument there is your ownership of multiple android based devices.
    And on other hand you show maximum disappointment/resentment wanting maximum punishment.

But then you should not be buying those devices. It is pretty stupid to buy something where you consider disadvantages over-weighting advantages once cost of device of included.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You are definately right about security concerns there. But on the other hand, the question is, should the security be in the US hands (foreigners), or those of other foreigners? From the EU standpoint it doesn't change much at all, especially since the US wants to get out of the NATO eventually because people aren't investing the money into the US weapons industry that the US expected, and Trump has to work for his campaigning money.

Hehe good way to start the day with a laugh.

I guess with NATO you are referring to the low defense spending of other countries than the US?

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can transcribe that video for anyone having trouble to see (listen to) it...

"Google makes money. A lot of it."
    *Eyes of speaker lit with '$' . '$' signs.

"We want some of it because we were not able to be competitive as everything we attempt to do fails."
    (No, please, don't call us communists. That's for sure not reason for our failures.)

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I was more referring to Celsius' Star Trek reference tbh ;)

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I could see some similarities there. :)