Third-party audit reveals AMD drivers are the most stable for gamers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2018.

1. okidna

okidna Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. PedroNF

PedroNF Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    This must be some very twisted bad joke. AMD's GPU drivers are still as pathetically bad as they always were, since ATI's days. They still haven't been able to solve this issue that's been happening to me and lots of others for months - their own control panel (Radeon Settings) won't open, with a window popping saying that "radeon settings and driver versions do not match". Now if you uninstall Radeon Settings and install the one from v18.2.2, IT WORKS, even though now the versions are actually not the same. Luckily the community found a workaround - clearing the driver version info in the corresponding registry key.

https://community.amd.com/thread/228068

The only reason I'm using an RX 570 right now is for cryptomining - that's all they are good for. If you play games, USE AN NVIDIA CARD.

3. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Went back to amd a few weeks ago and was surprised how good their drivers are.

Then went back to nvidia, and had to make a lot of nonsense workarounds to get everything worked.

Examples?

Yes, a lot.

MK X was having severe artifacting on lower part of the screen. Re installing drivers on top OF THE SAME ONE changes things. Incredible but true. Everytime I had a new driver install I have this problem. Even using DDU.

Metro games have the same problem. They have weird graphics on intro screen and once you press start you will see some more weird graphics and will never get in game. Until you reinstall the same driver. Lame.

Windows remote desktop. Some apps takes a lot of time to open if you are connected through remote desktop. Examples, chrome can take 3 minutes to open and is completely unresponsive. Most modern ui apps, the same.

The fix? Again, reinstalling the same driver on top of the same one.

Using two video outputs, one with default audio. When playing any audio and switching off one output (the one with default sound output), app that is playing audio crash.

Fix? None know (on amd doesnt happen and the app playing audio, just redirect the sound to the other output)

And the cherry at the top, Netflix was having severe stuttering when using two video outputs (set to clone/mirror). I think this was fixed some drivers ago.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Seems AMD also requested QA to do these tests for them in 2005 and 2010. What about the other years? Is it just random 5 year then 8 year spread? Or do they do these tests every year but only publish the results selectively?

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This is clearly a PR stunt; a poor one at that.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    this flies in the face of so much i've heard including a friend who bought a MSI RX480 cause the value for money was so amazing who rma'd the thing twice and then sold it to get a GTX 1070 cause and i quote "amd's software is just garbage"referring to both the software they provide to manage your card (as they over volt the crap out of them he was using it to undervolt it to a sensible card level) and the drivers as he had been experiencing issue's with games (it's no secret amd's drivers take up more cpu time then nvidia drivers under DX11 and stuff like BF1 will max his/my cpu ez ((we have the same cpu, he did better in the silicone lottery though)) so an improvement in framerate can be had just by hopping gpu vendors).
    as for personal experience...wait i can comment and my comment is bullshit o_O

my first experience was a ati radeon 9250 which got replaced by the dreaded and hated Nvidia FX series, a FX5600 to be exact.
    thing is the 9250 was butchering rendering need for speed underground in both framerate and the road was floating above the road cars were weird and broken etc, where the as i later learned horrible FX5600 was doing great by comparison. appart from being a weak card never had issue's with it, never had issue's with the 6800GT afterward appart from sounding like a airplane or the passive 7950GT appart from obviously being way to powerfull to be passively cooled and overheating within minutes or the GTX260/470 my latest 980 TI though....not sure if game's being buggier or drivers being shittier cause the forza franchise on pc has been a crashy memory leaky nightmare (affecting amd users but seeming to affect more nvidia users but maybe larger marketshare idk).

then there's rainbow six seige which my friends tell me is really kewl but in 2 free weekends i have not been able to get it to start at all so i never bought it, not the only one with that issue so again not sure if drivers bad or game developers bad.
    but have had occasional definetly nvidia driver issue's that usually get sorted by a hotfix within days so all in all nothing to bad.

but my latest ati experience was a ati HD 4670 in my moms pc as it was more power efficient and powerfull then the nvidia alternative and IGP's at the time were....useless
    bluescreens atleast once a week, pc would freeze now and then ofc the display driver bummed out atleast once or twice a day. i fed that thing driver updates for 4 years it had minor ups but always remained a flaming heap of lets not be harsh. she's currently rocking a intel 7100T with IGP which is crushing the old 4670 in speed and driver stability like you would not believe.

now perhaps in the last 2 years, they've really started getting there act together, but considering 10 years i experienced before the last 2 years i'm not fully convinced.

7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I must say that I did have a issue with Nvidia drivers when I had my GTX 570 sli setup a few years back. I had a issue where I can activate Sli in the drivers after a new driver install, but after a restart the options will be missing. After a format of Windows and multiple driver versions and multiple emails to the support, I gave up and sold my Sli setup.

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    We'll be hearing about this all year, especially when the new Nvidia cards release.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Especially by triggered people :D

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    My last Radeon card (s) were the 6970 crossfire granted long time ago but back then they were a mess,I am glad they got their stuff together cause I switched to team green ever since Gtx 660ti and never considered going back. Good job team Red,Nvidia has Great drivers what are they talking about lol?

11. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Having used both, NV at home and AMD at work, with multiple graphics cards for the past 5 years the fact is that no problems with NV and occasionally problems with AMD. Especially after bigger windows updates AMD is a pain in the ass.

12. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    You either like AMD Or Nvidia.

Some people go for best bang for buck.
    Some go for Best performance at whatever price.

I've had crashes with Both Hardware. Also probably game dependant.

I'm currently using a RX470 and it's an excellent card imo. 1080p is what I got it for because of Monitor.

Suits me fine. As long as YOUR happy with the product. who cares.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    they both suck sometimes but mostly ok
    they should do real tests on how fast we get fixes.

our amd dollar hard at work again

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    AMD drivers are far superior that's a given.
    But you will never find a Nvidia users agreeing with that fact no chance.
    The earth will stop spinning before that ever happens.

holler and SHS like this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like I said before, with how I use my rig and hardware, I can't complain. I have no idead about high performance gaming on AMD's GPUs though, as I don't use them.

And I think, people that don't have both and use both regularly, shouldn't even consider giving any statement to the other GPU manufacturer's drivers. And most of the time it's the devs anyway that have to do the work these days... and hardly do.

cowie likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Spoken like a true fanboy :D.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm not sure what your point is. The test was supposed to test for stability, not functionality. Are any of the other tests relevant for this purpose?

I use a couple of AMD cards (RX 580) for computing and mining, and have never encountered this issue. Are you sure you didn't mod the card or do any special adjustments to it?

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Thinking more on the issue here, pretty sure I see why AMD did this.

Ryzen is selling, selling great. Marketing is great for Ryzen, it doesn't sell itself but AMD has a successful campaign with Ryzen.

Vega, well AMD really tried with marketing, they hyped it before launch and still hype it after launch. Ultimately though, with the FE, 64, and 56, the campaign failed. They aren't horrible products, but they just did not deliver against Nvidia's offerings for a lower cost and more variety of products. In low footprint though Vega is doing pretty well. APU's are selling pretty decent, mobile APU's with Vega and the mobile Vega doing alright, heck Intel CPU's with Vega onboard are doing well. But not enough.

So AMD has to make up for this, highlight where Polaris(which did deliver more than Vega desktop cards have) and Vega have their strengths. Also since GPP, it's kind of the cool thing to go against Nvidia now so AMD is hitting off with the backend of that mess.

I don't agree with how and why it was done, but I understand why it was done. Honestly Vega is not a bad product at all, the price point just sucks.

Maddness and Embra like this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I bet Microsoft own Standard VGA drivers will be most stable for casual browser games gamers .

20. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I have had my Vega 56 scent Nov 2017 and been rock solid so far in gaming