Some bugs in Win 10 (1803) fixed, others persist

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Computerworld continues their critical analysis of Windows 10: while Microsoft released a patch this week (KB 4284848) fixing two major bugs related to the SMBv1 protocol and Edge browser, they advise...

Some bugs in Win 10 (1803) fixed, others persist

warlord and 386SX like this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    ... but but but ... can it BSOD at Crysis? :-D

Somehow it seems no enterprise users (or almost none) are testing Win10, because most of the bugs mentioned are bugs which occur more in enterprise (or at least SMB = Small to Medium Businesses) areas. SMB is a typical way to provide a share to network users, VLANs are set up to provide separate networks within one network and WSUS is another thing for (almost exclusive) corporate use.

But to be honest: MS always had its problems with WSUS, not only on Win10 or Server 2016. "WSUS not seeing updates" is a well known issue every now and then, together with "WSUS installs what it wants" or "WSUS doesn't see machines" or "WSUS rolls out the wrong patches".

Strange enough I use Win10 1803 and did not run into these issues, neither in a workgroup nor in a domain. But I do not use Edge or HomeGroups and have almost no need for VLANs (I use three at my work), so probably that is why I am not affected by these issues (or at least I do not notice).

If your WSUS or WIndows Update does not see it, get it from here:
    Code:
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4284848

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    All these reported issues usually only affect very small minorities of the users, but pointing that out would remove some of the "sensation" from the reports, of course.
    The only issue I'm currently facing is that Windowed-GSYNC doesn't work on 1803, but Windowed-GSYNC was always sort-of a hack and its probably not Microsofts fault, and NVIDIA is working on it to fix it.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Oh yes, its always "small minority of users" up until it affects you.

Issue is an issue, regardless of how many it affects.

Fender178, yasamoka and lucidus like this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    They will release a good build of 10 one of these days....

*stares off into the distance*

one of these days.

StewieTech and lucidus like this.
  6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Isn't SMBv1 disabled by default? Anyhow we're phasing it out at work as it's considered a security risk nowadays.

7. ViRGE

ViRGE Guest

"restore partitions getting assigned drive letters on install remains with 1803"

Yes, my 450mb partition now its called G, nice, want to know the best part? Windows gives alerts of "low storage on local disk G", and because it's an critical alert it pops inside games! just great!!!
    needless to say that no user should dig into the registry to disable an useful alert, but M$ thinks so.
    Other great thing is the distribution of the intel microcode for spectre 2 (or lack of), until you have an updated bios, you will need to use M$ updates, AND they need to release an updated version for EVERY time a new build is released (1709 need KB4090007 and 1803 need kb4100347) AND the update its not downloaded automatically by the Windows Update, you need to go after the patch YOURSELF!!! what a joke...
    Sorry, but I get mad when talking about windows 10...
    When I remember that they sell 120GB games like Gears of War 4 and the POS store don't even have an backup function...
    When I remember that I have an freesync monitor and Windows 10 for some reason ALWAYS tries to enforce borderless fullscreen, and I need to disable the thing inside the .exe of the game every time...
    When I remember that since windows 10, I cannot use suspend or Hibernate anymore on my PC because 5 minutes later its turn on by it self...
    When I remember Windows 10... I get mad.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It is since 1709 i believe?

I have it enabled because i need it to reach my Mede8er MED500X via WiFi whenever i make my Videowall.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  9. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    Once Win7 becomes completely and utterly unusable, I'll probably switch to Linux or something. Can't bring myself to put this cancer in my computer.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But in the world of programmers and project managers older persistent bugs are called "features".

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why Win7 becomes completely and utterly unusable?

12. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    The gift that keeps giving!

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It seems MS's testing has been getting lazier and lazier the past few years. Are they trying to get people to switch to other OSes?

14. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well the Insider program is a joke, no matter how many times issues get reported, things remain broken and unfixed. Its just the same old Microsoft, this is what we will gve you, test, report, we might fix. The interface is a mess, they update some icons, leave old icons, Control Panel, Settings, still all over the place, some option now take more clicks to find the same information.

lucidus likes this.
  15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    maybe they should fix bluetooth from disappearing forever i disabled it some time ago and there is no way to bring it back even after endeless googling and attempts to do so i cant get my bluetooth back doesnt even show up that i have bluetooth.

16. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    lol yep. at what point to we get from 'it's perfect never had a problem'--to--'this OS is cancer' lol.

fact is it like any OS is a mixed bag that is riddled with problems because there are sooo many different hardware configurations on earth. that's probably why microsoft is now using AI to deploy update rollouts which according to them are quelling issues and allowing them to roll out major updates twice as fast. have heard about it becoming more open source tooall I know is here Microsoft is forced to acknowledge some faults, in an OS that has been through 5 redstone incarnations, and 4 out of every 5 comments people are listing issues. I have 5 computers and I've had issues on every machine. but so did windows 7--which increasingly loses support.

fact is that, even given all the faults, it's not a bad OS. such is life. negativity bias no matter how much progress we see. maybe a more moderate take on it's perfection/imperfection is in order... it's not perfect, has it's pros and cons.

I still dual boot 7 and 10 on all my machines. things usually run best (or at all) in one or the other. still having to clean install all OSes every year or so as various issues arise. same as ever (just not as many BSoDs and slowness as the old windows 95/xp days). things are improving, but I am beginning to doubt their business model of "windows 10 is the last version of windows" pretty sure we saw 5 versions in the past few years in windows 10 alone ... more like more versions than ever. lmao.

the conspiracy theorist in me suspects they're about to abandon this branding of 'windows' because of all the stigma. maybe they'll come out with some totally different named OS if this really is the last windows, at some point when the software has to be majorly rewritten. maybe windows 10 is the beta for that. or even change their company name like google/alphabet. eternal beta x_x we're all lab rats lol.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Robbo9999 and cryohellinc like this.
  17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Haha EXACTLY.

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ha, that's a very interesting idea! Releasing a new/different OS with a different name does seem like a plausible & potentially good idea, and it gets round the 'last version of Windows" thing. Risky though!

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Windows 10 is a major step up from windows 7. It wasn't easy to make a great and STABLE OS like windows 7 look old, slow and useless.

As both an IT and developer myself I admire that they surpassed failure thrice. First with Vista then windows 8 and finally 8.1. Give them some credit or I will stigmatize you as jealous people of those working at Microsoft.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The biggest thing stopping most people from switching to another OS is familiarity.... Most people are already familiar with Windows and stick with it due to this. For the average user, ChromeOS is more than capable enough. Unfortunately, the few desktops it's available on are a bit slower or overpriced for what they're actually capable of. MacOS is a fine replacement for Windows, but again, familiarity and pricing are big barriers for most people. Even Linux desktops and laptops seem to be largely priced higher than their Windows counter-parts, but most people don't want to learn Linux anyway. As long as people refuse to learn and adapt, MS will have to try a lot harder to push people away.