What ya'll eating...Man I love food...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Oct 16, 2017.

1. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    :>)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    nvm

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Making my grocery list for tomorrows shopping at Food 4 Less. http://www.f4lfoods.com/index_r1_c1.jpg[​IMG]

Sure its a little higher than Wal-Mart but their meat department is amazing. They actually have real butchers that will cut meat to your specifications. Think I'll pickup some Oklahoma farm raised catfish and some thick pork steaks.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    One of my favorite late night munchie snacks.

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

Noisiv, JaxMacFL and airbud7 like this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Got the house to myself so...
    Small homemade spaghetti for me tonight...

https://s26.**********/xs3lwstw9/spaghetti1.jpg

https://s26.**********/6hiaow6ex/spaghetti2.jpg

I like angel hair pasta better than regular spaghetti

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea WilliG....I love me some good jurky ...what meat you use? beef?

I've had some very good deer/venison jerky too

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Chicken and pasta bake with melted cheese on top, washed down with a chocolate protein shake :D

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Shake's quite nice as far as they go, prefer getting it from meat but sometimes needs must, full of cold and got no appetite atm

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  9. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    DiGiorno pepperoni pizza with sliced jalapeno I picked this afternoon.

big ROBOT bill and airbud7 like this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Totally agree that angel hair is the best for spaghetti.

airbud7 likes this.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I like to make massive "sandwiches" (if you could still call it this) by myself, they are loved by each member of my family. It's very easy to make them ... manlike, you know? *lol*

"Recipe" for one sandwich:
    1 long bread, like Baguettes, Flutes or any other long bread thing you may find. You have to slice it in the middle, so do not choose anything with almost no height. More height = more stable later on.
    Some "Cornichons" (Google translated to "gherkins", those sour ones in a jar, you know?)
    Some eggs (depending on size of bread. the longer the bread, the more eggs you need to cover the whole lenght)
    Some cooked ham
    Some lettuce leafes
    1 onion
    ketchup, mayo, mustard (mild to medium if your child or wife eats with you, hot mustard one if you like it but then only a few small "points")

Tools:
    A pan (for the eggs)
    A sharp knife
    Something to cut all stuff on (do not leave a cut mark anywhere in the kitchen or your wife will literally kill you) :)

Prep work:
    Cut the bread in half so you get a top and a bottom piece. Flip the top and set it next to the bottom to put your stuff on it.
    Cut the salad leafes in medium pieces / slices. Nothing is as shitty as getting a bite of some salad and ripping the whole sandwich apart with it.
    Cut the sour "gherkins" in small slices (2 - 4 slices each depending on size), use enough to cover the whole lenght of the bread.
    Cut the ham (it should be in slices when you buy it, so cut those slices to lenghty pieces, as these could rip your sandwich apart, too, like big salad slices)
    Cut the onion in rings or "half rings".
    Put those eggs in the pan and roast each one from both sides until the yellow yolk has hardened (it's a mess otherwise). This typically takes about 2 minutes for each side.
    Mix ketchup, mayo and mustard to 1:1:1, so it gets one mass.

Putting it together:
    Take the TOP of the bread and put your ketchup-mayo-mustard mix on it, take the knife to spread it evenly. Don't do too much. If you still have something left, you may put some bits on the bottom, too. !! But taking too much results in a "slippery" sandwich where all ingredients fall out. That's no fun to eat, trust me. !!
    Take the bottom and put the ham on it, one full row until everything is covered..
    Top it with salad, cover everything, too.
    On top the eggs, covering another "line"
    (optional) more ham and / or salad and / or eggs ("double decker" or more)
    Put the "gherkins" (still feels like a term I do not use right ...) on top of this all
    Top this with the onion rings / half rings (it will hold the gherkins a bit so they don't fall out so easily).
    Flip the TOP bread and put it on the tower you built.

Tip:
    If you indeed do a double-decker (stacking ingredients) or more, I would recommend to put some of your ketchup-may-mustard-mix on each "new run". So for each "optional" step above put on some of the mix. Otherwise the sandwich gets too dry.
    Tip2:
    You could exchange the ham for a schnitzel, or compliment it by a schnitzel (do not take the ham away, just add the schnitzel). I do this almost all the time, but above is the "basic recipe".

It sounds like a lot of work, but basically it is "cutting the ingredients and stacking them up". If you are not used to this, probably you will need 10 minutes to make one. But the time for the next ones is minimal. The worst is the cutting, it takes the most time.

And sorry if you do not understand my recipe. I am German and a tech guy, so I had to "google translate" some cooking terms. If you are unsure what I meant, please ask me, I will be glad to answer and / or correct. And I live near the french border, so for me it is very easy to get a fresh baguette, but probably not for you.

My "record" so far:
    a french 1 meter "flute" (a larger and broader baguette)
    4 schnitzels
    8 eggs
    1 package of ham (abhout 200g)
    half a salad
    almost a glass of gherkins (about 500 - 600g)
    about 500g of ketchup mix
    3/4 of a can of corn (about 300 - 400g)
    200g of Gouda cheese
    200g of Cheddar (old, the mostly orange one)
    a little bit of olive oil

Do you wanna know why I did not put olive oil in my recipe for you guys above? Because someone may get "problems" when not used to olive oil. Those problems require you to immediately tell the whole world how you feel about it .... on the toilet. A friend of mine tried it with me and he sat on the toilet for almost the whole day. So if you LIKE this oil or are USED to eat olive oil, feel free to add it. But do not say you haven't been warned when you see red lights and count from 10 to 0 backwards while running to the toilet. OK?

EDIT: Because somehow feeling unsafe about those "gherkins" I did another translation:
    "pickled cucumber"
    I mean those: https://www.smartseedstore.com/products/french-cornichons-pickling-cucumbers

Noisiv, jbscotchman and airbud7 like this.
  12. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Whoa guys, my wife made something new yesterday: Noodles with a sauce of cheese!!!!
    It's even more easy than my sandwiches I guess. She told me it's basically three kinds of cheese, fried in a pan with some spices (pepper and something else I think) and cream, put on top of noodles. I try to get you guys the recipe if you like. It took her about 15 - 20 minutes to get it all done! (So it must be very easy!)

Btw.: Should we convert this to a "recipe thread"? Just take into consideration we all come from across the world and I bet my ass there are a lot of different recipes which are VERY tasty but due to local circumstances the recipe stays within a certain perimeter, you know?
    I would love to see other recipes as I like it very much to cook or bake, especially together with my oldest daughter (5 yrs.). I always laugh my ass off if we prepare a salad and SOMEHOW ... MAGICALLY ... the "mice come out" to "steal" the ham, cheese and what else "they" may find ... . My daughter always tells me. "Dad, LOOK! The mice came out and stole another piece of cheese ... *chewing* We have to do something about that! *chewing* Can we cut the ham now? *chewing*" :D

Noisiv and airbud7 like this.
  13. antiseptic

antiseptic Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 750
    I eat slop every night. Not really a foodie.

Noisiv likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    [​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

386SX and Noisiv like this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    fresh peaches and fried shrimp with mushrooms and squashhttps://s22.**********/mkegz8pf5/peach.jpg

https://s22.**********/5xwwpsm35/shrimp.jpg

I ate all of that yesterday^! ....good stuff!

386SX, Noisiv, big ROBOT bill and 2 others like this.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Got a lot of pork should meat leftover from last night. Made some sliders using Kings Hawaiian rolls, Bush's baked beans, and red potato salad.

[​IMG]

airbud7, 386SX, Noisiv and 1 other person like this.
  17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Got an easy recipe for you guys (sadly no pics):

Fried sweet aubergines:
    (Spanish recipe)

You need for a small to medium portion:
    1 aubergine
    2 plates
    A surface where you can cut on
    A sharp knife OR a graper which is able to give you SLICES (not all do that)
    A fork
    some flour or some grated bread (grated real fine so you get almost flour but with some small bread pieces left)
    2 - 3 eggs (probably 4)
    A pan
    Some fat (oil, butter, as you like to fry things)
    Some honey, preferably in those "squeeze packages" where you can do fine lines of honey with, you know? (standard honey from a jar is fine, too. But you will need a spoon then to apply later)
    Some sheets of paper towel

Prep work:
    Take one plate and put some flour on it. Spread it until the whole plate is covered with it.
    Take the other plate and put those eggs on it and stirr them with the fork until it's completely mixed and you get an orange / yellow mass.
    Take the sharp knife or grater and slice the aubergine into real small slices. The smaller you slice, the more (and the tastier) it gets.
    Not take those slices and put them (one by one) first through the egg mass, then through the flour or grated bread, so you get a panaded aubergine slice.
    Repeat this with every single slice of aubergine until all of them are panaded.

Main work:
    Fry them, but be a bit careful and do not put them over each other. They have to be separated, otherwise they will stick together and that's no fun eating.
    After you fried them until the cover is "dark yellow" and it starts to get brown at some edges, take them out and put them on some paper towel to let the fat soak into the paper and out of the aubergines.
    Put them with a little bit of space to each other, because now it's SUGAR TIME!!!! :D

After work:
    Take the honey and squeeze it until the honey comes out. Then do fast movements with your hand over the aubergines, so the honey package shoots out a small stream of honey, which you spread across the aubergines. You do not need much, but you may. Just as you like. If you use a spoon, do slower movements but yet fast enough so you get only small lines of honey, like from a "squeeze package" (I do not know the exact name).
    When everything is covered, immediately serve it. When it gets too cold, it is still tasty, but warm / hot they taste a lot better.

It sounds like much work, but I was only intended to give you as much details as I can. Prep work is done within some minutes, frying takes only minutes too (because of the size of each slice) and the "after work" with the honey is done in minutes, too. I would estimate you need about 10 to 15 minutes to do one portion with the size as mentioned above. 2 or more aubergines only add some minutes to the total time.

I saw this first in Spain, when I was invited by some spanish landlord to his birthday. The wife of the landlord did that recipe for about 50 guys in under half an hour, and there was PLENTY of stuff. Just for your info. :)

Be warned though:
    - It's addictive!
    - It's very "dirty" eating them! (Your hands will get covered in honey! Or you eat it with a fork!)
    - Depending on the oil / fat you use (I wasn't prepared for pure Spanish olive oil back then) you have a VERY VERY long session at the stall. :D

I hope it is as tasty for you as it was for me. ;)

airbud7 and Noisiv like this.
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    [​IMG]

--

I don't understand why they call it The Atlas Of Prejudice o_O
    I swear a god it looks scientific

PS
    Eggplant is the best!! And so is Italy.
    Well ok Spain is decent... and no doubt Turkey too. And Greece is wonderful. And its not like anyone can complain about French food... that is if they actually agree to serve you :eek:
    Still it looks like a pretty good map of Europe :D

big ROBOT bill, 386SX and airbud7 like this.
  19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I live somewhere between "Caution is advised" and "Fattening". :D
    (And when I look around and see our local meals I guess this is VERY accurate, so I seem to live exactly on the line between those two!)

Ever tried to eat a heart, a lung, a kidney, a brain or a liver? If you can't decide, you put everything in a blender and RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ... meal. (This will be my quote of the day for today!)

I live near the French border and I can agree with that. A good bowl full of frog legs with some escargots, together with some herb butter ... T-A-S-T-Y ... right? :D
    Don't tell me you don't know they eat this. Look at the map again: French is "Caution is advised", too. Now you know why. :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Noisiv and airbud7 like this.
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't know what I was thinking. But I am back to my senses now. France be damned.
    Over-complicated and pretentious, they are traitors of the Mediterranean spirit :D

big ROBOT bill and 386SX like this.