AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 Driver download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. Danmcrea

Danmcrea Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 GAMING 4
    And I was hoping they would finally resolve Witcher 3 stuttering :(

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    You may find it's not just an AMD driver problem but something else within the game that needs to be patched to put it right

4. Dragonstongue

Dragonstongue Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3 OC
    let me guess, they still have not fixed the cannot use Trixx or Afterburner with Radeon software or you WILL experience crashes, lockups etc
    oh yeh, and lets make sure users cannot maintain a reduced voltage or clock speed it they wish to do so (at least if user selects a clock speed or voltage below "normal" it (radeon) does not seem to give a crud)

Love Radeon much more so then I have ever liked anything Ngreedia has ever released, but I really do not know what the GPU does not listen to the clock speed / voltages I set, if it becomes "sluggish" when I set a lower clock speed I have ZERO problem with that, but if it runs far hotter and chews that much more power when it is NOT needed, I very much have a problem with this ^.^.

on another note, I wonder when sellers/AIB will get GPU on the shelf for close to or slightly below MSRP, the price gouging needs to stop (especially for folks not in the US of A) nothing like wanting/needing a new GPU and seeing them all overpriced from $50-$450 (from the lowest end to the highest end, including some that choose to give them absolute crud for coolers...MSI Armor for Radeon as example)

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    @Dragonstongue what on earth are you on about trixx or afterburner not working I've had Trixx working just fine for months and months it even works fine with this driver so if you are having problems I'd be looking elsewhere for your an answer to your problem

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    GCN difference I assume, 1.0 in particular (7000 series.) ran into unexpected problems with the "nice" update from OverDrive 5 or 6 to OverDrive N and Wattman which has gone a bit up and down since.
    Perhaps depending on driver, OS and a combination of having Wattman together with third party software could lead to problems thus why tools like OverDriveN tries to help users more precisely set up and maintain custom values or bios modding failing that but even this can be impacted by drivers.

I know the AMD Fury GPU was not too hot on Wattman (ever.) with values often being off by a few percentages, not too much of a deal for fan speeds but definitively a problem for trying to stability clocks or voltages if it's going to be shifted by 2 - 4% or more from what you're trying to set and then there's bugs and glitches all the way up to Vega although AMD is slowly improving and fixing things sometimes announced and sometimes silently with no mentions in the driver release notes about it.

EDIT: Likely why utilities like TriXX or Afterburner get a lot of flak, working via offsets and then Wattman goes and sets the base to X and now it's offsetting from that instead and stability problems ensue. Well it stands to reason you'd want less or ideally only one software maintaining these but if the AMD driver is being a pain then even without going into CNext and Wattman it could be problematic ensuring stable settings short of just setting it in bios and considering it done with.
    (Though this should only be done after testing to ensure the values are completely stable and bios flashing also varies from GPU model to model and across different GPU generations though as long as there's a dual bios switch it's usually less likely to be a total brick.)