The best affordable HDMI upscaler / converter for retro gaming?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DSparil, Jun 16, 2018.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Hey guru's, I'll try to keep this short and simple. I do a lot of retro console gaming and have them setup on a new HD television. I have been using this upscaler https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Composite-S-Video-Converter-support/dp/B003NS0UUQ with some success, but I'm looking to move up to something better without breaking the bank. I know the Framemeister (and mini versions) are supposed to be the best, but I'm really not looking to spend >$300 here. My main complaint with the one I'm currently using is that there are gamma/brightness issues when using the S-Video input. It darkens everything, and some games on the Sega Saturn are virtually unplayable with it. I get similar results with some Dreamcast titles. It is really hit or miss there, and the settings on the television can only do so much.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this one? https://www.amazon.com/KanexPro-Com...ds=kanexpro+s-video+converter#customerReviews Do you think it would be an upgrade vs what I'm currently using, or more of the same? I've read a couple good reviews and some seem to think its a solid upscaler that's a notch above the $20-$40 offerings.

I'd appreciate any opinions or input here! :D:D:cool:

2. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Can't you just buy an old CRT TV for like $10-20?!? Spend another $20 on some adolescent relative to lug it into the house for you...and then beat you playing the games LOL...

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    NI, not interested. At least not at this time. It's a small home, and I want the retro consoles in the living room and that is where the HDTV is. Looking for a solution for that setup. The 14,506 lb CRT TV I have in storage is for another place, another time.

4. dhwang

dhwang Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 560 ti
    I suggest:
    1. Get an emulator on PC. It's the best option if up and running.
    2. For Dreamcast, use VGA output instead of S-Video.

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    It appears my 4K TV doesn't have a VGA input. Perhaps a VGA to HDMI adapter would fit the bill? I have a strong feeling, upscaled S-Video is going to be superior that though. I could be wrong...

6. dhwang

dhwang Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 560 ti
    For analog video, VGA > Component video > S-Video > Composite video. Don't expect too much for S-Video upscaling. But maybe you can try a second-hand dvd recorder like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Recorder/dp/B0038JECKY