AMD Radeon Vega 12 and Vega 20 Wave Hello From Ashes Of The Singularity Database

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Komachi

Komachi Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro Duo Fiji
    Why via my Twitter? I posted all this forum.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Lol, next time ping me -> @Hilbert Hagedoorn

Had no idea you posted this in the forums :)

Komachi likes this.
  4. Komachi

Komachi Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro Duo Fiji
    ok :) i will do from next time.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So, since I'm not very familiar with AOS, how do they stack up vs current gpus?

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Granted this is 4K resolution. Hoover, those results look like a mid range gpu. And they have shadows on medium too.
    I'm not sure this is legit.

Edit:
    It almost looks like a console score.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Could be the same vega cores used in their APU's. Considering how much their Ryzen APU's cost, gpu costs can't be all that high at all.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yeah I had just edited my post to suggest that this might be next gen console scores.

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The Consoles already have ~2560 shader cores, I would expect the next one to be 4096, ie 7nm Vega Shrink (Vega 20).
    Thats probably why AMD said they would be bringing it to gamers eventually....

edit : Somehow i thought you were on about the smaller, Vega 12 chip. Unless you were talking about the Vega 20 ? ;)

edit2: those screencaps look weird. The last pic, Profile High (1080p), is at 4K/UHD resolution...?? and the second pic, the score is 100, and the FPS are 1.x, nothing over 2FPS ?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It depends on few factors. Next PS is scheduled for 2020. That's because they wait for Zen2 (kind of confirmed). And as they are waiting, Navi should be here by then too.

Vega 7nm may be part of MS console. Or come in 1st 7nm APU where it would have more SPs.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    heh.
    guys...this isn't a finished product.
    the scores are definitely low-ish, but it is early days.

the very good news is that miners have hit their peak pascal/ polaris/ vega.
    this means this xmas the cards you want will be available...but the next-gen will have the non-asic miners back.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I would go for the Consoles. The design has to be fixed at least a year or two in advance.
    Both Xbox and PS upped the SP count with a "Refresh", because the change was minor.
    Zen2 should be done already, and just being polished.
    Going from, effectively, a 580 to a Vega 64 (maybe 56 if the decide to disable some SP's for Power/Yields), would be a huge jump, even if the Clocks were a bit lower for power reasons.
    With 7nm Vega, they could probably hit todays Vega56/64 specs, at a good deal less power.

You have to admit, that would make for one hell of a console :)

edit : Also, The consoles would probably share the HBM with the CPU, if they use it, as system memory. They'd need 16GB of it for that.

Maddness likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do agree that it would be very good. But thing is, Vega 64 and Fury X have about same performance once clocked to same frequency. Yet Vega 64 has around 3.6B more transistors.
    I think that GPU with 12.5B transistors integrated with 2 CPU CCX is bit too much to be cost efficient as it may have bad yields.
    Maybe MCM on iterposer. But still I think it would be more cost efficient to go with Navi as that should have bigger potential.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Wasn't it said that almost all of the extra transistors for Vega were for the upping of the clock speed compared to Fury ?
    If that was the case, They wouldn't need all those xtra transistors for 7nm.

Having read through the Vega threads a bit, you are probably right that it will probably be 7nm Navi for the Next consoles, if they are to arrive in 2019/2020.

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, that's what have been said. It is just that I do not exactly believe such statement. Especially with all those special features introduced with Vega. As they are now nowhere to be seen.
    I mean, it shines pretty bad light when they introduce new HW path which is supposed to bring higher performance in some scenarios. 1st It should have switched automatically to more efficient one. Then this changed to promise of Driver level switch. And in the end, Game developers are supposed to code for HW path of their choice. (This equals to dumping it altogether. Because I do not expect anyone to invest coding time into far from common GPU feature. As that's likely not going to exist in Navi anymore.)
    I like Polaris much more, it brought good improvements since Fiji.

And you are absolutely right, we may learn truth by checking transistor count of 7nm Vega 64. If it has greatly reduced transistor count, then they really invested them towards achievable clock. If count is reduced just a bit, they removed some dead/failed technologies.

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    To be absolutely sure of that it should contain about 0 transistors then...

(just kidding)

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would say, limit is Fiji transistor count as that was 8.9B. But imagine 0 transistor GPU. Would be pretty awesome.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018