The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    What memory and motherboard are you using? I was going to do a memtest, but I don't really see the point because I have no trouble when the system is under load.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    2400G system has:
    2x Crucial 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Ballistix Sport LT Dual Ranked Red
    GIGABYTE AB350N-Gaming WIFI
    Memory is OCed to 3000MHz. And its voltage is bumped from 1.2V to 1.28V which is then varied by MB between 1.23~1.39V. For board of that price I am really disappointed with such poor voltage control for memory. So, keeping data in memory while PC sleeps may prove to be bit hard.

In my case, moment I put it into sleep, it sleeps maybe for 0.05 second and shuts down. (Power LED does not blink even once, it just goes dark. And system log showing unexpected shutdown.)

3. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I am going to see what my PC does today. Mine never shut down that quickly (or rebooted) and when it did shut down, it did not result in anything unexpected in the event viewer. You said your 2700x doesn't do this. I have the same CPU. What motherboard are you using on the 2700x?

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON AC. I had it sleeping for several day as I was playing with 2400G.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    First off, was surprised at how ram latency was affected. Next, why do we not have access to the settings that influence the performance that the Performance Bias setting sets? Would love a bios that allows us to set those settings the way we want since the results can have such a dramatic affect...on synthetic bench marks anyway. Corona Renderer showed a 4 second drop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Given the results, will be running CB15 for a bit and see how games react. The extent of the latency drop was not expected. Aida/Geekbench did not like the way the OpenGL test was coded, nor did the CB11.5 bias. Letting it be known that with bios 6201, Performance Bias on Auto equated to the None setting.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Fox2232 likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    ^ That's cool (excuse the pun!)

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  10. Picklepie

Picklepie Guest

GPU:
    r9 fury
    he guys,

Since I'm new here i have read the guidelines though if i make any mistake please correct me.
    Since that is out of the way i have a few question you guys me be able to help me with:
    First I'm looking for a new cooler and have the choice between these few:
    - Tranquillo Rev. 4 (B )
    - arctic freezer 33
    - Scythe Kotetsu II
    I've tried looking them up though i can only really find some info about the tranquillo and ketetsu though the arctic would be a little cheaper anyone some experience with a freezer 33 on a overclocked ryzen cpu?

Besides that problem I got a problem i think most of you will know and that is ram... The ram i'm using is an old kingston fury (2400 cl15 2*8) set I got a few years ago and since ram is really expensive, I really don't want to upgrade but rather get the maximum out of this set. I tried booting at 2933 though even at 22-22-22-50ish it won't boot are there any secondary timing i should consider loosening? I have been able to boot 2800 16-16-16-36 and I've run aida64 memory test for 3 hours (I know more testing is needed) Though the strange part is it seems stable though the pc feels jittery (if that's the right word) when using my mouse, is that an indication it's not stable or is it just coincidence. Besides that I used rammon to see my ram specs and have identified it as skhynix though is it possible to identify which hynix die it is? And is there any guideline for the other timings.

Thanks for any respones

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Great thread chipsy.
    Thought i would toss this in here.Seems like AMD did a great job on Coreboost/XFR on new Ryzen 2 CPU'S,so good it has taking the fun out of overclocking just like Nvidia Boost 3.
    I would even say the death of overclocking CPU'S.Hope not to dramatic LOL.

Anyway copy and paste from another thread and I found to be intersing results with the new boost/XFR thing.
    After trying all kinds of overclocking my best results in gaming on the AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 6-Core was to under-volt CPU core voltage 1.300 mV in Bios and everything else on auto.
    To my surprise CPU is holding XFR/Core Boost 4250 Mhz in synthetic benchmark and gaming benchmark,and dropped 100Mhz to 4150 on encoding stressing the CPU 100%.

12. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    @ Picklepie - Well I've got a Freezer 33 on my 1600X, not overclocked though (little point really), runs very cool.

As for the RAM, Ryzens like low latency and high frequency if possible. You've done well to get 2800 CL16 out of that old RAM kit and that looks like its limit. But if you haven't already up the RAM voltage to 1.3 / 1.35 that may help.

13. Picklepie

Picklepie Guest

GPU:
    r9 fury
    i have the ram running on 1.35 bios which seems to report 1.325-1.335 in use though is something like ryzen ram calculator trustwothy to dial in other timings?
    Thanks a lot for the info

14. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I'd up the RAM voltage a tad more just in case. I'm fairly sure that quite a few people use the Ryzen ram calculator it's a useful tool, seems accurate to me as far as I can tell.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The calculator is a good tool. Keep in mind that with Ryzen too much voltage creates instability as well as too little. Depending on the board being used, the bios may allow the ProcODT setting to be adjusted. The calculator will give you a suggestion for that setting. But first and foremost, follow the Stilt's suggestion and use Prime95 version 2810 on custom setting to use 128K to run in place to get the cpu dialed in. That way all ram ends up being is voltage and timings. 30 ~ 45 minutes is all that is needed. I typically dial in 48K first; easiest. Then dial in 112K. 128K then ends up either being spot on or just one more step increase in cpu voltage.

Typhoon Burner is a free program and will tell you exactly what chips are being used for your ram.

Ryzen prefers tighter timings over faster frequencies. You'll see that even with the Aida ram benchmark test.

16. Picklepie

Picklepie Guest

GPU:
    r9 fury

Thanks a lot for the info,

I know that you really need to do cpu before ram but i don't have the right cooler yet so i started to set a ballpark for ram/cpu. I've got the cpu aida 64 stable at 3.8/ 1.25v (1.3ish with auto loadline). I might be able to get the voltage lower though i will test this when I get my freezer 33 since Jagman told me it would most likely do a good job of cooling the cpu. About the ram i also tested only aida64 ram stress test but that might not be thoroughly enough. I will try both with probably some prime or intel test and most likely memtest (need to read up on that never really overclocked ram before just xmp) when i get the cooler most likely beginning next week. For so far 2800-16-16-16-36 seems to be the best possible. 2933 seems to not be able to boot no matter how high i set the primary timings 2866 is bootable although it does not even survive aida ram test for 15 min... And since the difference in 2866 and 2800 is so small I don't think it's worth the effort. ram voltage i also need to do some testing just took 1.35 as a baseline but i have managed to get soc voltage down to 1.05v (auto was 1.12ish) which seems to be nice for 24/7 use. the secondary timings i just took from the ram calculator using mostly the fast preset though the tRC setting seemed way of at 32 (i did not try that setting) because if I'm right the base line is tRAS+tRP = tRC minimum (at least that's what my research led me to believe). Hope I did everything right and someone might find this helpful if you have any recommendation please let me know.

btw the ram i identified by using rammon which said it was skhynix and later using the calculator tool and looking at the tRFC timing (in the bios) let me to believe it is most likely A-die though that isn't 100% for sure. I did not download Typhoon Burner because it seemed sketchy but if i'm wrong about that please let me know. Thanks for all the help and if i forgot something please tell me.

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Typhoon Burner is a great tool for displaying the information it gathers from the spd. Do not know enough to play with writing to and/or editing the spd. That part of the software was not utilized.

Fox2232 likes this.
  18. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I turned my memory overclock off....back to 2133mhz and the system still seems to reboot about once every hour. I turned the power settings to performance > and it still reboots, although the longest it has gone now is about 2-3 hours.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    For me, every MSI board I have ever owned was picky with memory and didnt overclock as high as the Gigabyte, ASRock, or ASUS boards I have ever had.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, after that PR fail this year, I was ready to dump MSI. But then ASRock did not have boards at launch, and so I picked bit more expensive MSI board.

And what not, I never owned relatively good board with so bad BIOS. Board is relatively good, but ASRock one I wanted sad quite a few more important features on HW level.
    But BIOS... MSI should be ashamed! They fell so low, that 1/4 price ASrock has better BIOS. That 1/2 price Gigabyte has better BIOS.

I can live with fact that they overprice their boards to point that they deliver less HW features in same price range. But delivering flaky, featureless BIOS (stripped to bare minimum). Their kind of sh*t does not fly with me. I am done with MSI.

jura11 and Agonist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.