Final Fantasy XI released today

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by BlankStar, Oct 28, 2003.

1. BlankStar

BlankStar Guest

Today, 10/28, North America can enter the FFXI-world of Vana'diel.

So who's playing this fine MMORPG here? What server are you on? What race and job? Like it so far?

2. marz

marz Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI geforceFX 5900 ultra
    I'm getting it delivered tommorow.... i'll probably start out as a human thief on the Bahamut server....

this would be the first mmorpg that i'll be playing ... so hopefully it turns out to be a good experience.

3. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 6800GT @ 420/1090
    I dont know if its worth my time really ...

I'm a die hard Anarchy Online Player Myself.

4. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    i'm thinking about it, but im also thinking about call of duty and half life 2 and doom 3. too many good games coming out now

5. BFA

BFA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX470
    ^....LoL

Call of Duty yes...

Hl2 and Doom 3 = spring next year....

WoW looks good, i want that :D

6. GeEKFLiP

GeEKFLiP Guest

How much is the monthly fee for FF11?

7. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    Comes out for Playstation 2 Also soon, so if you have a ****y computer just go with that but the hdd + FFXI bundle is 100$.

Fee's prob 10-15$ First month should be free.

8. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I would wait for some reviews, knowing track record of just relesed MMORPGs.

9. Creizai

Creizai Master Guru

GPU:
    And by no means are they good at all but only thing this one does have its been released in Japan for over a year now.

10. Misdirection

Misdirection Guest

It just arrived at my door today :). I was hoping that it isn't like Asheron's Call 2 :rolleyes: referring to the battle system. I was hoping it would be similar to FF X battle system as turn based. Not just press number "1" then it automatic hits the enemy like a little kids beating a bush with his stick. Do you understand what I mean here? It would be great if it actually does have turn based method. If not, then I will have to see if I like it or not. That the only reason why I bought this game.

11. Misdirection

Misdirection Guest

HDD with FF XI bundle?? Mine only comes with FFXI, period. Are you referring to PS2?

12. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    yea, i think he's talking about the ps2.
    As for this fee...i don't know if i'm down with that. it's one thing to go drop 50 bucks on a new game, and another to have to pay 10-15 each month just to play it. i don't know man. i might have to take a pass, i'm not made of money.

13. Misdirection

Misdirection Guest

I played it... it's not tooooo bad.. The grpahics are outstanding, but it needs alot of work with FSAA/ The sound isn't too bad either, but some people are complaining that the sound remain unbearable, but I am not sure about that.

I'll explain in depth tomorrow. :)

14. marz

marz Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI geforceFX 5900 ultra
    i just got the game yesterday..... and it took more time installing the game than what i have played so far....

damn patches you have to download right away to be able to play.... took me 8 hours on my 56k

but so far of what i've played i've liked it.... it definately needs some AA options though.... and it's kinda hard moving the character in the right spots with the mouse... might need to get a joypad to control the character better.

Seems like a pretty polished game thus far.... the benefits of having done it overseas first before bringing it to North America and other countries.

15. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    I was thinking of buying it if it comes out in the UK but I'm put of by all the monthly fee crap. Why not just make the damn game free after you first buy it for £35!!!!

16. BlankStar

BlankStar Guest

PC
    game: $49.99
    fee: $12.95/month
    tetramaster: $1.00/month
    Extra character: $1.00/character/month

PS2
    $99.99 for 40GB HD with FFXI preinstalled on it (US/C release in Q1 2004)

n00b-comment
    Square-Enix is in it for the profit, not to make you a happy little boyscout. They have 30 servers running, think they can make a profit if they don't ask a monthly fee? don't think so m8.

17. racingx

racingx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070
    I just got the game yesterday and it is very good. One thing I did notice though is that Mip Mapping seems to be broken even if I have it enabled in the FFXI config utility. You can tell cause all the distant textures on walls and such look grainy not smooth like they are rendering full resolution textures on distant floors and walls but with Mip Mapping enabled it should be using low res textures on distant floors and such.

I can get rid of alot by running 8XAF but i take a performance hit and AA seems to be broke too.

BTW running cats 3.8

18. marz

marz Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI geforceFX 5900 ultra
    seems ati cards are doing ok... but i'm getting problems when i enable bump mapping.... after awhile all the textures start turning gray and i look like i'm in a gray void with no where to go.... have to turn it off to get the textures to properly show. Anyone else getting this?

and i think the pricing = $1.29 a month for your initial character and .10 cents for each additional character up to 16 characters...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  19. GravY

GravY Guest

20. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    I was going to get this game, but I'll hold off. To be honest, I'm waiting for City of Heroes to come out.