Valve will no longer curate the Steam store

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by teleguy, Jun 7, 2018.

1. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...steam-is-a-triumph-of-cowardice-over-curation

Just what we needed. New wave of shovelware incoming.

2. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 gamin
    Good.
    There is a law and any illegal stuff still will be curated.
    Any other Censorship is bad in any form. People should decide by their own what to see and play

Dragam1337 and cerebus23 like this.
  3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Gotta add some more filters then.

4. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 gamin
    Exactly. And no problem

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Like when they were curating that stopped shovelware at all.

Oh look another bs game using default assets.

Its is not hard to avoid shovelware. Your eyes and some common sense goes a long way.

6. romul

romul Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 gamin
    Not that is the problem for most people complaining about new steam politics,but games where white racists will kill black homosexuals

7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Oh yea i am sure klan games will glut the steam store and sell millions.

LOL if that becomes a thing i will eat a hat ok?

I rather have a few edgy games over my little pony games glutting the market.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They curated it before then?

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    *Downloading Hatred before it's gone.*

10. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Whats this 'no longer' business?

When was the last time steam was actually activily being curated?

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's like watching someone having diarrhea while that person is eating laxatives at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.
  12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    They shut some naughty anime games down, the creepy fucks at reddit got mad and started some crap with valve.

Didn't take long before they put the games back on the store.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    In other words Valve will keep doing what it's been doing, just now it's "official".

IMO this decision went the opposite way it should have but guess, as stated above by CalculuS, Valve just thought well keep your s**t then.

At least they're adding filtering by tags to Store so you can hide certain types. I wish they'd add filter-out EA titles as well.

edit / to be clear:
    I'm not promoting censorship per se, but rather Valve should screen games released on Steam more strictly.

Nowadays it's everything is released and later, maybe, removed. So kind of release first, assess later, when it should be the other way around.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    A purist group that see tiddies as evil incarnate mass bombed and abused the report game feature resulting in them being temporarily removed.

I don't believe valve had any part of that

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Even if they put EA games back on the store they would still require origin, just like ubsofts games require uplay, and rockstars games require social club. So you would not escape.

And yea i remember seeing some of those anime "games" on the recent releases tab, and you know what i just ignored them they always have "sexual content" in the tags when they got naked anime girls or w/e, nm visual novels i find completely fing pointless and boring as hell nm how great the story is like a steins gate (watch the anime tho it is amazing).

So yea all they need are tag filters and maybe account locks for parents so those games do not show at all wo a pw to remove tag locks on the account.

Adults should be ok to decide what they want to play even if it is anime girl cringe. if that is your thing tho have fun.

Steam is the PC store period, if a game is not on steam it might as well not exist to a ton of gamers, so it should be a wide open a platform as possible while giving users the tools to not see that stuff if they wish.

16. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I really like steam but their store is full of crap. Still, crap has the right to also exist. So im not sure. Gotta make a way to filter the crap i reckon.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I don't think Valve can put EA games anywhere. Only EA can do that. And they have their own store and they don't want to pay Valve. (Valve does take a big cut from sales. Steam is not a free service.)

18. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol, firstly it isn't censorship in any way shape or form, censorship is done at a governmental level. Steam is a store and like ANY store you would assume that they would like to have some say in the quality of the product that is allowed to be sold there. At the moment the Store Valve operates is one were anyone can walk through the front door, set up a table from which they can sell big piles of dog sh*t covered in vomit and as long as they have paid for site location they can do this all while the Manager (Valve) sits at the side line giving the great big thumbs up to them.

Valves statement is pathetic, we don't want to spend the time and effort of curating our store is what it amounts too. I am not talking about curating it to the level that they ensure the content they sell is of high quality, is bug free, is supported by a dedicated developer, I am talking about the very basics, i.e isn't an obvious asset flip, isn't some POS thrown together in five minutes, how about just ensuring the f*cking game works? Nope it seems that as the owner of the store it is not their place to say that the product they are selling should at least be functional... morons!

It won't last though, the cracks are already starting to appear, their Steam sales are worse than they have ever been, their store front gets constantly under cut by resellers like GMG (to the extent that Valve talked about stopping the free developer keys they issue) You now have indie developers who would rather look to the likes of the Nintendo store front and PSN store front rather than have their games get buried under the mass pile of animal faeces that inhabits the Steam Store front. I wonder how long it will be before governments start to wonder about the store front that allows the sale of games called 'Aids Simulator' in which you shoot Africans because they gave you HIV or a store front that allows developers such as Digi Hom to go after it's customers for posting bad reviews of it's product?

It's only a matter of time before Valves laissez faire attitude to it's store front finally comes back and really bites them hard.

Oh and as some already said the title of the post is a bit misleading as it suggests that at some point Valve did curate their store, which as we know is total b*llocks.