Xbox One may get Google Assistant, Alexa and Cortana

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder what the percentage is for people who own the console vs people who use this feature.

3. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I am one of the few who use Cortana and prefer her to the other assistants for my use. I own the Invoke and we got word last year that MS and Amazon would make the 2 integrated and we’ve been waiting ever since. This is the next logical move and apparently will be when us invoke owners finally get the integration we were told we would be getting. It’s a for sure thing it’s coming

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So they are spying on people through their consoles now too?

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    "Hey Cortana, how do I do 360 no scope?"

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    "Take xBox camera and throw it into trash."
    "It will spin for sure and I will be without scope."

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is anyone else sick of all these pointless AI assistants?

I mean, I just got an S9 and it's got a dedicated Bixby button... instantly disabled bixby, for one because they're pointless, and two that button is exactly in a position where you press it by mistake every time you pick up your phone, or press the power button on the opposite site (obviously need to hold the other side of the phone to press against) likely done on purpose to get stats on huge Bixby usage...

Plus it's quicker and easier to manually do pretty much anything the assistants can do, and other than mucking about with it because you're bored in the house, who is going to be talking to an AI when they're out in public? Those adverts of people on a bus talking to Siri just does not happen in real life

That dedicated button would have been better used for opening the camera or flashlight or music app (I know it can be remapped but requires the bixby services to be enabled again)

Not a fan of them at all

sverek and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I've seen enough grown ups who kept talking to it, as if they actually needed it.

Just a feature to brag about, like most people do when buying a new phone.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I find it embarrassing rather than something to boast about tbh, first hour I had the phone I asked it a few questions to see how good the AI was, seemed better than Siri, could control the phone better, but still completely useless for any real life scenario I could think of that I can't do myself, obviously a gimmick addition though as it will rap and sing and tell jokes....

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Bixby is universally agreed upon to be garbage - same with Siri.. so yeah.

Google Assistant is pretty decent though, especially if you have any home automation. I get home and I just say "hey google turn on the music" and it automatically talks to my logitech harmony, powers on my audio receiver and switches it to the correct input and shuffles a music playlist i created through my chromecast audio group throughout my house. I can do the same for turning on the TV. I have hue lights as well and android auto - so I can tell it when im driving home to turn on the outside lights, or turn off all the lights if I forgot to them off, etc.

I also use it for alarm clock and the "whats my day like" feature in the morning, where it gives me personalized news feed and weather/traffic info on the way to work + whatever reminders I have for that day while i'm in the shower.

I find it fairly useful but I admit I kind of bought into the home automation ecosystem which makes the overall experience more powerful.

Edit: I'm aware that Siri/Bixby/Alexa can do some of these things but I've tried Siri/Alexa and they don't work anywhere near as reliably or easily as GA. Bixby I also tried and it was just worthless.

11. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    so i can do "hey cortana, play the game for me" ?

12. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Don't even have a microphone connected to my console, so its pretty much useless.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm only waiting for Xbox addon to analyze gases from my farts.

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    based my personal experience
    in handsfree situation (aka driving) bixby can do most things i needed
    other than that, in most daily situation when u using normally (watching+touching the screen) bixby is pointless

i think current AI system engine, how it work kinda pointless
    current AI system engine is more like 1-task/point job rather than integrated universally
    its like : wake it -> ask/command a task -> done

if i can use AI assistant more smoothly/organically while doing a task , say like when i am making schedule and then i need other things, say instead looking at contact i can just say "bixby, add *name to schedule"
    if AI can do something like that, i think people will using it much more

for own apps (default/in-house apps) probably such that will possible soon enough
    the problem is for 3rd party apps, because each 3party apps have their own "things"
    how to make AI assistant can adapt/learn those is quite challenge

Extraordinary likes this.
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Alexa : how can i help you today?
    Venix: shut up ...forever!
    Sjw's : burn him alive !