Just paid $1500 for some LED lights

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Illyrian, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    My computer knowledge is slightly above average, so maybe some of you can shed some light on this please because I thought PC's get outdated and slow pretty fast.
    I've basically had the same PC since 2013 and I finally built a new one, gotta say I'm not at ALL impressed with the jump in performance from my old one, all my BIOS settings are proper, drivers, etc.... so no issues there.

I kept my old PC fresh once in a while with newer graphic cards but that's about it, no other upgrades. As you can see below I moved my Fury X card in the new system and I know graphic cards offer huge jumps in performance, but still, I always assumed newer generation CPU's and Motherboards do the same also which is the reason I upgraded.
    I also know graphic/gaming benchmarks aren't everything there's more to a PC than that, but I'm very bummed out to get identical scores in 3dMark benchmark tests as my old PC :(

Old PC specs
    i7 3930k @ 3.8ghz + Asus X79 Sabertooth + SSD + 16gb DDR3 1866mhz Corsair memory + AMD Fury X (2 R290X in Crossfire I had in before the Fury X which OC'd kept up score wise with both the Fury and my new system)

New PC specs
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700X + Asus TUF X470 Plus + M.2 NvME-1.2 SSD + 16gb DDR4 3200mhz G.Skill Ryzen memory

Anyway both systems liquid cooled, and yea.... what's the deal here ? I would have thought a nice performance bump would be in order, what should and shouldn't I expect here ?
    as it is right now, I feel like I just paid for some nice flashy lights

Keitosha likes this.
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Assuming you carried the GPU forward, 3dmark will be more of a benchmark for the GPU.

Try cinebench 15 and then compare

3. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Appreciate the reply, and yes I brought over 2 components which I got about 1.5 years ago, my 1000watt PSU and Fury X.

Also yes I get about 13k in Physics score with the 3930k and 20k with the Ryzen, so a 7k difference, but the combined score never gets a bump, stays pretty much the same.

I mostly do video editing so I will be editing a video later today looking forward to seeing how much faster it ends up being, should get a proper boost there I suppose.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you werent suffering performance issues, there isnt much to improve.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    3dmark isn't a real world test.

It's mainly a GPU test; 3930k is not holding a Fury x back so a new CPU isn't going to make your score much better; combined test is more affected by GPU strength than anything else.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    In real world your not going to see much improvement because games use average 25 percent of CPU power. thx

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That is incorrect.

Illyrian
    The main reason you don't see much of a difference in performance is your GPU. On day-to-day workloads that you most likely have GPU will be the main difference factor, not the CPU.

Try to do some rendering workload, or simply run cinebench and you will see the staggering difference between your old rig and the new one. Besides, I can guarantee you that with your current rig you will have:
    a) less stutter overall.
    b) ability to run a large number of apps at same time/play games/ have a gazillion of windows in the background e.t.c.
    c) future proof. 2700x is Solid CPU that you will use for years to come. Dx12 / Vulkan is the future where Core count will actually count. Currently there are handful of games that are actually built ground-up using those API's, with another handful of games that claim to run the API, however in reality simply use dx12 / Vulcan as a "wrapper" resulting in worse performance compared to dx11 (which, in theory, should be the exact opposite). The "multi" core era is just starting and your new hardware is ready for it.

Main suggestion for an upgrade is your GPU and monitor - buy a new one. Go for Vega if you like AMD, however, they all are overpriced right now, or just wait for several months for next Nvidia release.

What is your current Monitor?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    As others have stated 3DMark is heavily GPU dependent, you'd only see a bump in combined score with CPU upgrade if your old CPU was bottlenecking the card (and for that to happen in 3DMark you'd need to have a really weak CPU).

CPU limited games should get a nice boost though and obviously CPU workloads like video editing.
    Actual games in general will likely show some improvement across the board unless completely GPU limited to begin with.

You've future-proofed your rig now so you'll get the most out of your next GPU, think of it this way.
    Granted, for most obvious performance gain you could have kept your old rig and just upgraded the GPU.

Going from Fury X to say GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti would give, and have given, notable gains.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The thing is, I guess in games you're mainly GPU bound, limited by the GPU's performance. Hence there is little to gain there by upgrading the CPU. You will have a longer life though with your new platform, and it isn't wasted money strictly speaking, just an investment that lasts longer than your 3930K.
    Like others have said, money invested in the GPU would have brought you more, instantly noticeable gains in the GPU score, of course.

10. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Appreciate the replies all, Cryohellinc my monitor is a newer Asus 24 inch Freesync monitor, and you're right I will wait for graphic card prices to go down, way too expensive right now

What you guys mention about the multi core era coming, well that's why I built my old PC few years back with such pricy components, wanted to be ready for true multi core gaming, but to me at least that never came.

For example the only 2 games I play are Total War series and Assassin's Creed series games.... And both of them run on terribly performing and outdated engines. They play and perform no different now than they did with my old system, a little bit smoother but that's about it.

I guess maybe I need to expand my gaming library to really experience the new PC properly

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That tells me nothing, give me your model name/number.

Smoothness is already a major benefit, less micro stutter on the same GPU = amazing.

Your current rig is designed for multi-tasking. GPU is your weakest point right now, upgrade it down the road and you will see all the magic. As mentioned above all current game engines are "old" and barely use if ever more than two cores. However, with Dx12 / Vulcan and Engines which are designed and built from scratch with those API's in mind will truly show all their benefits.

So relax and enjoy your new rig, its great. 2700x is fantastic.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I understand the RAM speed is better, but if "upgrading", why didn't you opt for 32GB of RAM? Seems to be the new norm. I'm already assuming I'll need to upgrade to 64GB next year.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Unless you plan to have 200 chrome tabs open at same time, 16gb is all you need.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The more ram, the better.

15. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Monitor is Asus VG245H, it's a Freesync monitor with a range of 40-75hz, and I didn't know what range was, but now I wish I did more research and got a monitor with a wider Freesync Range, because the Total War games on the campaign map drop down as low as 25fps depending on what you're doing, no matter your settings or what computer you have.

And I don't know, do I need 32gb ram ? I had 32gb in my old 3930k setup but felt like it was overkill, all I did was play Fifa and NBA 2K and browse the internet, which I'm pretty much still doing with this PC, heh

Anyway yea that's why I upgraded with the 3930k few years back because I wanted to be ready for multi core gaming, and here we are 2018 and it's not here yet, I thought by now the DX12/Vulcan stuff would have taken off bigtime, but companies are greedy don't want to build new engines from ground up I guess no need as long as it can still run and look good on the PS4 and Xbox 1..
    Funny because, all the bragging PC gamers do over console players, and we are still stuck waiting on console cycles before we see major moves in the field, heh

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nope, 32gb is a total waste in your case usage.

17. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    You are correct. But all I was saying was for the CPU, on average games take 1 or 2 cores,, that's all I wanted to state. Of course its a sidegrade, the GPU will hold you back not the CPU. If your expecting to see a difference in games, at least a nice noticable difference your going to be disappointed.

18. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    I moved from a 4930K @ 4.3ghz to a 2700X and the real world gaming performance is outstanding. Test out your games. Even games with seemingly low CPU usage got quite a boost for me. Ignore the GPU score in 3dmark.

Asus Crosshair VII Hero WIFI, 2700X, Vega 64 Liquid, 32GB Gskill FlareX.

AsiJu likes this.
  19. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    OK so I been doing some research since you guys told me to upgrade GPU, and from what I saw there is no cards that AMD currently offers that will blow the Fury X out of the water, they're all just slightly faster.
    Even AMD's fastest card the Vega 64 is a bit faster but it still can't do 4k at 60fps+, which is what I'm after here because I just bought a 4K Freesync Samsung TV, I also have a Freesync monitor. Point being is I would have to get a 1080ti to get the 4k performance I'm after which would suck because I invested quite a bit into this Freesync thing.

How long until AMD releases something that can compete with the 1080ti ?

20. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    UPDATE:

So I managed to squeeze some unexpected performance and stability out of my system, well the Fury X to be specific.
    Screwing around with GPU-Z I realized it was running at PCIe X4 1.1 even under load.
    So I moved the card up to the closest PCI Express slot to the CPU and now it's fully running at 16x 3.0, and what this did is bring some very noticeable stability and quite a performance increase in the few games I tried.
    BTW when I installed the card well both PCI Express slots on the motherboard have stamps saying X16, and I obviously assumed they were both capable of running the same speeds.

So WTF then.... I mean I remember back years ago different PCI Express slots were capable of different speeds, I had no idea that was still a limitation ? anyone elaborate further please I'm eager to know a bit more about this.
    Also what about Crossfire then? does that mean 1 card can run at x16 while the other runs at x4 ??