NVIDIA Next Generation Mainstream GPU Detailed in August

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7, chispy and cryohellinc like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    And people were hyping up for a July release, won't happen. Announcement end of August, followed by actual release Q4 2018, or a more likely one Q1/Q2 2019.

3. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    So i should stick around with my two 770gtx 4gb, for other 6 months and then see a mainstream release?
    When the next big thing is coming?

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You just read the news, sometime after August.

5. destruya

destruya Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3
    To be fair, this is their "mainstream" product. The x70/x80 parts are considered 'enthusiast' parts. So this would be news about the x60 (or maybe also the x50) part, most likely. Everyone expected that to follow some months after the x70/x80.

We'll know for sure sometime early next week, I suppose.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I doubt it, nvidia never released midget mainstream xx50 and xx60 first.. they always go for high-end, well if you can call crippled xx 104 series chips real high-end, I don't ever since Kepler 680gtx..

I remeber trollin Nvidia for doing that and they named it a Hunter card.. lmao, I had my old nick thehunter back then xD

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Regardless what we think, its all speculation. Only an official announcement will actually point out the release date. However "hypers" already hyped for July release, won't happen.

8. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Well at least leaving the announcement until August should pretty much guarantee immediate availability for the FE cards, of course whether you'll get anywhere near the first batch without staying up for three days and nights hitting 'F5' is another matter.

chispy and airbud7 like this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I purchased my card during its release, which is none of your concern.

Secondly, nobody refuses, when it happens it happens. However, I am not with the hype crowd which already started expecting a release in Q1 this year. Then there were rumours for spring release / then July release, now August.

August will be an announcement, which may or may not be followed by a release. This was discussed in many other topics, but to keep it short - Nvidia currently dominates, and up until AMD will announce their new cards and release dates for them - Nvidia has no reason to release a new product while they can milk current one at prices far exceeding MSRP. This is my train of thought, I may be correct or wrong. Thou so far I was correct on this, late August announcement only supports this.

What I am certain about is that Nvidia has already finalized their next GPU, a question is in the upcoming events will it be a refresh of current gen announced or actual next gen of GPU's. Personally, I'm waiting for the latter.

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Mining wasn't there for past many years.
    Insider info?
    Attempt to make me feel bad about my 1080ti? :(

Look, hype all you want, I understand that you have the itch to upgrade your 980, what I'm saying is currently there is only speculative information at best. What we may get in the end is a refresh or a proper next gen. Which, once again, I'm sincerely looking forward to as even 1080ti doesn't really cut it for modern titles at 3440x1440.

11. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I love when there is nano info released and everyone extrapolates it into a full blown fact of their own. Then it turns into a shark feeding frenzy and everyone starts taking a bite out of each other during it. Pascal was announced on November of 2015. The release dates were announced on May 6th 2016 and the 1080 was released May 27th 2016, and the 1070 on June 10th 2016. So if Nvidia follows this business model again, we are way off from any release as Nvidia hasn't even released the NAME of the next gpu yet. What we do know is it will have about 25% more performance over the Ti. I'll pass on the FE and wait for a 1180ti IF it comes to be. So patience, it's gonna be awhile. And try to be nicer to each other, are we not brothers of the same tech mother?:cool:

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    2 more months to August to finally hear what nvidia has to say about the new cards. I will patiently wait for the 2080Ti release to replace my 1080Ti. I know they will release 2070 and 2080 first then 6 months to a year down the road they will release the Ti , nonetheless good news as it was about time to hear something about it :)

-Tj- and airbud7 like this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This...
    [​IMG]

:D

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Can't wait. Give me a card that can easily handle 4k 60fps ultra settings and you got my money. 1080ti until then.

chispy likes this.
  15. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    What manner of BS is this. The next gen for main stream was supposed to be Volta based and they have failed to release that. So are they finally going over the release of that or skipping it all together to talk about their next big thing which they won't release for another 2 years. The only thing Nvidia has been innovating recently is enterprise and the consumer market can just suck eggs.

fOrTy_7 likes this.

16. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    I'm not that skeptic TBH, we are seeing improved "12nm" process node coupled with probably new GDDR6 memory and plenty of time for refinements and improving yields.
    my only concern is $$$, Nvidia could easily charge high prices and already officially said so....

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Not that suprising. I think it was Gamers Nexus that reported that DDR6 would be coming out of production in August at the very earliest. July was always a pipe dream.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm going to take a guess and say that they will announce 2 cards (xx70 and xx80) and they will be available within 6 weeks after that convention. Pre-orders will be available immediately from Nvidia's website for FE.

The launch will be the same as Pascal; very limited quantities for the first 3 to 6 months (leading to users accusing Nvidia of a paper launch).

I suspect that if this next-gen card is powerful enough (4K60+ being the key performance metric), then, it'll likely be constantly sold-out for the next year, well into fall 2019.

That won't be a problem anyway as showcase game Metro: Exodus has been pushed to Q1 2019...

19. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    Why no one asks
    What happens with HDMI 2.1 ???

sammarbella likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think the wait is for 7nm. TSMC has had volume 7nm production since April and they already stated they expect to ship 7nm GPU products by the end of 2018. AMD is currently sampling 7nm Vega parts out of GF and plans to sample 7nm Zen parts by the end of 2018 as well. We know TSMC is ahead of GF by a few months and we know Nvidia is a huge partner of theirs. I think they are just waiting for 7nm yields to become adequate for shipping ~300mm2 parts.

HandR, Amaze and Dragam1337 like this.