Intel Core i7-8086K anniversary edition CPU gets listed at retailers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 30, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Just don't copy it...

And hey there's the 5.0Ghz single core CPU we needed in 2005 or so. :D
    Will be interesting to read more about it such as what the actual frequencies are when it's not boosting to well however this works in newer Intel CPU's, guessing 4.x somewhere then and maybe some tweaks.
    (Probably going to run quite hot as a result, wonder if it's a quad core as I assume it's not a hexa or octa core but eh no info available for now on what this is going to end up with specs wise.)

EDIT: Oh so it's actually expected to be a hexa core then. Interesting.

So a base clock of possibly 4.0Ghz and then boost up to somewhere around 4.4Ghz perhaps and finally 5.0Ghz but likely only on a single core.

Well if it's starting to get listed in various stores and if Intel is doing a presentation of it in a week it won't be too long until more info is available.

3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
  4. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    So its a binned 8700K, good for 5Ghz single core, re branded and put up for sale at a premium price for the gullible e-peen saps, willing to pay extra for bragging rights on tech forums to complete strangers...:rolleyes:

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I couldn't imagine buying an Intel CPU right now tbh.

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Not Amd either :)

It' s enough with 1950x and 7980xe.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yes, that I can imagine :D
    My upgrade time's next year, and chances are slim that it's going to be an Intel system.

8. fatboyslimerr

fatboyslimerr Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2060
    I'm very happy with my R5 2600. I couldn't imagine buying an Intel CPU right now either....
    They've abused us for too long with their dominant market share tactics!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think Intel's long-term hardcore fans are the target demographic here, rather than enthusiasts. It caters more toward sentiment or nostalgia than anything else. Anyone with half a brain would know the 8700K is a smarter choice, since it isn't that hard to reach 5Ghz (the extra money you spend on the 8086k could go toward better cooling). Intel is well aware that people will buy their products just because of the name, so it's safe to assume people will pay a whole lot extra for a novelty. But, it can't just be a novelty - their hardcore fans may be gullible but there still needs to be something that separates it from the 8700K, so that's where the boosted clocks come in.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If the 3700X closes the gap even more on Intel, I could absolutely consider AMD :) For me the choice of CPU depends on performance (and to some extent the price since I wouldn't buy something crazy expensive even if it was faster)

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Too bad EU not **** Intel for their NewMobo every tick-tock plan!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_external_power_supply
    They made huge deal from phone chargers- why not talk about forcing new Motherboard every few month? 1 Pin more, 1 pin less since 11xx?
    Now with AM4 it's has more sense buying high end MB because in 1~2 years we can pop in new CPU, and enjoy.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think this CPU is for "collectors" who like or want hardware a little bit more special or limited. So instead of buying another 8700K that everyone can buy, they buy this that it´s certain to sell in very limited numbers. It´s basically a special and "limited" edition of the 8700K for those who like this kind of stuff.

Normally this is an easy way of making money. AMD did something similar with that Bulldozer CPU that also had clocks near the 5Ghz barrier, don´t remember the name right bow.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah, I think collector is the better way of putting it.
    Well there was the FX-9000 series that came in those tin boxes, and I think one of them came with an AIO cooler. I otherwise can't think of anything else.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Well according to current 8700k prices in Europe(~€330-340) this makes the 8086 homage 8086K cpu about €130-140 more expensive. lol

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well that would be lovely, yet it's hardly interesting to the EU I guess. People hardly upgrade, the average user (companies mostly) use a product until it's warranty is over (like with my company, a few years), then they just replace it alltogether. Upgrading is an enthusiast's thing.

16. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    True story about Intel CPU/MB problem:
    My brother bought I7 3770 + ~$200 Z77 Asus MB, the warranty was indeed for 3 Years, but after 1 year MB died and the store told us that because there is no more Z77 MB any more the only solution is to get refund $200.
    Now we could not find any new Z77 on stores because Intel released new Chipset/CPU.
    So what you do now with the 3770? had to sell it for cheap and buy all new system with Intel tick tock speed improvment.
    warranty doesn't worth much when you change sockets like socks.

17. TWK_OCZ

TWK_OCZ Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050 2GB
    Good job.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I had to sell my 3770k because 2nd z77 mb died and the cheapest z77/67 was about 130 euros no warranty and used so sold the cpu brought an r5 1600 and new motherboard was not going to buy a used mb in such price like i did in 2015

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    That price... and it's not even April 1st :D

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Everyday is April 1st @ Intel's HQ :D