Agony

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by (.)(.), Aug 21, 2016.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Out on Steam now, the reviews on the store page are a bit poor though and the developers issued a statement regarding the final say on the censored content.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/487720/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/487720/allnews/

EDIT: Some in-game content might have been toned down too although it's not cut entirely.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/487720/discussions/0/1694922526918039631/

The bugs, crashes and glitches mentioned in the reviews are a bigger issue though than some changes to the in-game content, hopefully a patch or two can fix the worst problems.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.
  2. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    After all the demos and video's why, right at the end of it all....on release day,....do the censors decide raise their concerns?

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    So, the game is out. Anyone picked it up?

4. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Gonna grab it tonight

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I backed it on Kickstarter so just got my key a few hours ago. The game is way too dark and torches do almost nothing to help you navigate around. The atmosphere is pretty spooky and the enemy design is cool but not being able to see a damn thing kind of ruins it for me.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I really want it. Visually it looks right up my alley. I have concerns gameplay wise, but, I'm willing to give those a pass and try and support it.
    But, I just had a CT Scan at the hospital, and unsure if there will be any more stuff... I'm being responsible and saving my money instead of feeding by hobby/addiction.

7. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Yeah i bought a guitar pedal on Trademe instead......might wait a few patches to iron out bugs then get it later on

Hope nothing too serious mate

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just talked to my doctor today actually. It started at as kidney stones but they found a cyst on my liver, but he said unless I have pain... it's nothing to worry about.
    He even went one to say he has a cyst on his liver, and has had forever.

So, I'm spiffy. :)

9. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Theres no way they only just got the word from the ESRB. They knew well in advanced. I personally believe this had nothing to do with the ESRB, after all the questionable anime borderline pedo games released..., but rather the devs sacrificing their original idea and promises/sales pitch to backers, just to reach a wider audience.

I knew this game was going to be to good to be true. I made this thread and was disappointed not many cared for the game. Its not the censorship that annoys so much as the execution of it.

Count me out. After the reviews, video footage and backer reviews...Im out

10. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    "So big and strong. Hes afraid of a woman?" - Promptly censors nipples. The irony

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Played for few 20-30minutes, nothing scary yet.. also can't change some of the controls -_-

And it looks a bit meh, too colourful, typical Unreal engine vibe.
    Kinda dull atm.. will see how it goes later, but that controls glitch is killing it for me..

Runs ok, I play it DSR'd 2880x1620, it uses typical 62fps limit.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I saw nipples and a penis!

The future is now.

AsiJu likes this.
  13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i am a bit scared of playing this, it looks very gloomy and dreadful

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Dont be, the evil within is 10x more scary.

Idk what's later, but the evil within has this intense vibe from start.. here by Agony I'm just not seeing it., yet.

ramthegamer likes this.
  15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    the UI definitely looks like a game from the 90s....

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Picked this game up for £13.99 on CDKeys.com last night as it has been on my Wishlist for some time.

Agony is certainly interesting but it is also very flawed even from the brief time I have spent with it. The positives are the graphics or rather the art style which look suitably gruesome but against that the game is so dark at times - likely used to mask the terrible LOD and draw distance even on Ultra - that I struggle to see anything in places despite using a torch. The torch doesn't seem to cast any light on the environment, which might be intentional - it is Hell after all - but it makes for much frustration. The font the game uses is hideous and hard to read (such as the options menus for example where it just looks plain ugly and borderline readable) and the game does a poor job of relating basic information such as the possession mechanic which you have to use after being "killed" (aren't you already dead though...?) by a demon. If you die and don't possess another "living" body then you go right back to the last checkpoint. The controller is supposed to rumble when a demon is nearby so you can standstill and hold your breath to avoid detection but it has never worked for me in spite of me using the Xbox One Elite controller. There doesn't seem to any combat so far, which is a good thing in my book as too many games, especially first person ones like this, fall back on using it to pad out the gameplay. It's refreshing to play games that don't rely on this which is one of the reasons I like so-called walking simulators as a change of pace (not that this game is a walking simulator per se, it's more interactive than that).

There is a good game somewhere here buried under layers of annoyance and the overall dark look of the visuals. It is not in the slightest bit scary either even when the demon inevitably catches you. I thought this would add some tension but the reality is that they feel so random and unfair that I am more irritated at having "died" again than anything else. Probably best to wait this one out and pick up in a sale or wait in the hope that the core mechanics will be improved at some point.

17. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Sounds like what they did with Aliens Colonial Marines. Show you 1 version of the game to bait you in. Then at release they give you something not even close to what they showed you in the teasers. Figures.

18. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Everyone seems to be hatin but I played it a bit last night and loved it. I was worried it was gonna end up just a walking simulator but there's fairly interesting puzzles, stealth mechanics, possession, and between the crazy visuals and maze-y levels it really does feel like you're lost in hell. The stealth has been really forgiving so far but it's clear it'll get harder further in.

I think the darkness is on purpose to further the tension and feeling of being lost plus encouraging you to use torches which make you more visible to demons, but it it's really bugging you just turn up the gamma. I think the torches may legit be broken though because yea sometimes they don't cast any light.

Overall the main selling point is still the sick visuals but I'm pleased that they come with a real game too

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    There's a 3.9 GB "patch" downloading for this game now. Anyone know what this fixes/changes? The game itself was only 13.9 GB so this update is a third of the size of the installed game!

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I read you can't remap WSAD.
    That alone was enough to kill any interest I had. It can sit in my wishlist until it hits a bottom end sale... or they fix the hell out of it with patches.