Intel Sandy & Ivy Bridge Microcode patches Available for Older Windows 10 Builds

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2018.

1. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
  2. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  3. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    Dude if you think any computer you put personal data onto on is secure then you need to follow your own advice. These are data catching machines and data is worth money. With all these holes coming out no one should be surprised. I can guarantee the largest manufacturers of chips have all had unpleasant conversation with government entities(you know for security from terror) on how they will make backdoors or else. It's not as flashy or discussed as how social media is in the same boat but the same reasons apply there.

Irenicus likes this.
  4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    link works fine for me

5. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    That's a very asinine and non-sensical statement. What if I don't actually store any personal information on my PC? I should be allowed to use my PC as I see fit, not the way some vitriolic, bitter old man thinks I should. GTFO

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You aren't forced into it. Windows 10 provides a way to disable the mitigations, and Gibson Research has provided a utility that makes it easy to enable/disable meltdown and spectre mitigations in Windows with a click of a button:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Right-click, "Run as administrator", and it will tell you whether these mitigations are enabled or not, and it has "disable/enable" buttons.

You can disable the mitigations manually if you want by setting the needed registry keys yourself.

On Sandy Bridge, as of now (28 May 2018), InSpectre should report that the Meltdown mitigation is active, the Spectre ones are not (because the SB microcode is not on Windows Update yet.) You can run your benchmarks and other tests, then disable the mitigation, reboot, and run your benches again. You can then see for yourself whether or not there's a perf hit on the stuff you care about. For gaming, there shouldn't be any noticeable hit. But you can check for yourself.

In my own tests, on an i5 2500K, I have observed a performance difference of exactly ZERO in all my games. Workloads that depend on heavy I/O however (storage or network,) should see a significant perf hit. I do not care about these workloads though, so I didn't run any such benches.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Enizax and jaggerwild like this.
  7. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    In summary, if I understood well:
    - you can patch your older CPU if you are still on older Windows 10 versions, which should be, by definition, less secure than the latest one
    - you cannot patch your older CPU if you run the latest Windows build, which should be the one Microsoft focus its efforts on ?

Am I the only one who finds this situation non-sense ?

-Tj- and airbud7 like this.
  8. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    win 10 insider build 1803
    [​IMG]

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Don't worry, they won't. This is a tech forum where people understand the potential repercussions of not patching their systems. This isn't /r/gaming, try being edgy there.
    I don't understand why you give a frack what people do with their systems in the first place.

10. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I got myself the ryzen 1600 its not perfect but its an improvement

11. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Is Sandy Bridge-E (3xxx series) included in this? I only see regular Sandy Bridge and Xeon counterparts listed by Microsoft.

12. R41DZ3R0

R41DZ3R0 Guest

GPU:
    797o xfire
    forgive me bro.. i think what he meant is he cares.. thats what's he tryin to expressed.. (just slightly in very lovely serious fashion) :)

airbud7 likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can check by CPUID.

14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Right on.

I'm trying to hold out until my hexa-core with hyperthreading is no longer supported. Just wish the new GPU's were here sooner than later.

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    To be honest i probably would have been perfectly fine on my 3770k @4.4ghz as the most demanding games i have with my gtx 1080 and 4k monitor only used between 50-60% of my cpu during gaming.

16. How does one uninstall updates? I'm currently on 1803, Since that update one of my SSDs appears on initial boot but then "unmounts" itself. Only to return for good after a restart.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

DeskStar likes this.
  18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Riiiiiight

Calm down now. Just because someone doesn't secure themselves doesn't mean you're going to affected in lieu of that.

And performance in a system four plus years old truly matters if it is remotely effected in any way.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    lol...

KissSh0t likes this.
  20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Patched my install of W10 1803 manually yesterday. Boot up time is a few seconds quicker surprisingly after the update. Odd but at least my 2500k is a little more secure. I only play games so I shouldn't see much of an impact vs other tasks.