Nvidia GeForce 397.93 Game Ready Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, May 24, 2018.

1. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    No problems here with those until now. Classic uninstall routine with DDU and clean install + optimization/tweaking. More game testing in progress.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's a couple of notable known issues in the PDF documentation but that's usually always the case with driver releases.

Netflix is doing something but avoid Edge and it should be alright, for fixed issues the problem with SLI and the Steam client could be a big improvement depending on how that worked for anyone using two or more cards and then there's a fix for HDR and certain formats not showing up and the usual game specific fixes. :)
    (Doubt many people would alt-tab between a fullscreen game and a movie running through the browser in the first place.)

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Dj_ALeX

why always use DDU, especially if you just to go from 397.64 to 397.93?

I had to use DDU when it messed up Vulkan by 389.20 (I clean installed inbetween), 388.84V to 391.37 back to 389.20V , and then kept cuda from 391.37.. This was the only time.

Anyway, will do a quick test if they're faster or slower then 397.64.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  4. DooGie

DooGie Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Thanks, that worked :)

5. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I remember when it was called Detonator Driver. I feel old.

6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Why not? I always ddu between drivers no matter what. It's not like it's hard to do or time consuming and it insures no issues, regardless of however unlikely.

Dj_ALeX likes this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes it is.

8. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm making the assumption you aren't running a toaster. I run Windows off of an ssd and have a relatively modern cpu so an extra reboot isn't a big deal. We're talking less than a minute here.

9. T_R_V

T_R_V Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 Super
    @DooGie
    @-Tj-
    @Vidik

If you use 397.64 drivers setup.cfg file (edit and change 397.64 to 397.93) instead of the default one, you should be able to install without keeping GFExperience folder. (untested!)

(Yes, I know GFE can be unchecked)

cookieboyeli, -Tj- and Vidik like this.
  10. Abomlol

Abomlol Member

GPU:
    GTX1070
    CUDA improvements seem like they're for improved deep learning. Given how often Nvidia releases drivers arbitrarily upgrading seems silly at this point.

11. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    hi just thought I would fyi a minor issue. I like coming here to quickly download every version of driver updates--windows 7, 10, desktop, and notebook.

the notebook version of the driver now has the exact same name as the desktop version:
    "397.64-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql"

which means I have to rename or save to a diff directory. I prefer the way it was before--each driver is named differently so that all 4 can be quickly saved to the same directory.

no big deal but hopefully this can be corrected now or in the future. thanks!

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There are more than CUDA improvements in this driver.

That's because it was always the exact same file. The only difference is between OS versions and 32/64 bits.

13. SabotageX

SabotageX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090Ti
    Nvidia is now trying to enforce GFE installation? Wow they sure love their bloat.

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Seems faster in FFXV benchmark ...
    [​IMG]

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    They can stream fps drop stutter and eventually hard freeze the system. saw this in COD Infinitywarfare.. I reinstalled this driver just in case, also raised some uefi voltages more - it was ok with 397.64, and it still happened.

I Will try them one more time, otherwise uninstall.

EDIT:
    same thing in COD BO3, not stuttering, but can't keep steady fps.. and gpu underutilized.

//Uninstalling.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Stormyandcold likes this.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No, they seem to provide a different license agreement to those choosing to install GFE. This is probably related to GDPR issues and is in no way "forcing" anyone to install GFE - you have another step to choose if you want to now.

17. goodsmac

goodsmac Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    :D me too...

aka2k likes this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    • Removed Experience Improvement Program from the NVIDIA Control Panel.

So did they remove the Experience Improvement Program or just the toggle for it...

Might give these a whirl anyway.

19. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    I always do a clean install using DDU to wipe out the older drivers in order to have 100% legit results with each release. Also after each driver update i do some DX9/DX11/DX12 tests in random old&new games just to have those metrics i need so i can see the improvements or degradation (in case A specific driver is bad). With this method i have always rock stable results so i can suggest or not a driver installation. It takes me only 5-10 minutes to setup everything and when i have time i start benchmarking/testing. The 1st thing i always test is the OS-desktop stability in 2D mode and then i proceed to 3D. I'm not suggesting anyone to do the same thats only on my side of things. Thats all! :)

20. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I uninstalled Geforce Experience because CS:GO would constantly give me VAC errors while in game specifically pointing to 'third party software affecting textures, colour etc'. Not worth the burden.