GeForce 397.64 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by zandathrax, May 9, 2018.

1. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
  2. grpm

grpm Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050
    I got a BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when I restarted the PC right after I installed this driver.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Anything that injects itself in every process has the risk of breaking it, especially in fullscreen video games where you can't be sure that safe means of dll loading is utilised.

Take the max payne games for instance, they initialise d3d within dllmain which is unsafe as you can deadlock the creation of the device in particular combinations of drivers and third party injection utilities.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I’m using CUE v3.13, the one released with support for Far Cry 5. Not had any issues with it and other games. A much earlier build did cause issues starting Mass Effect Andromeda but that was fixed within days.

Still cannot start this game even on a new profile. Whenever I start it it goes through the launching and progress bar thing I mentioned previously, every time, but never gets to even the splash or loading screens. Exhausted all my options now so I guess I will just have to uninstall it. It isn’t a driver issue so I won’t clutter this thread any further. :(

5. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    That's why you can add exclusions in windowblinds

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I took the plunge today and updated to this set of drivers. My report = Good drivers for my gpu 1080Ti , all the games i'm currently playing smooth as butter and no problems to report - Forza Motorsports 7 , Forza Horizon 3 , Need For Speed PayBack , ROTR , all good here.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'll reinstall Absolution and try it out too, see how it goes.
    Plus I want to be able to play Absolution myself. Plus I haven't benched my Ryzen build in HMA :)

If it works here we can try and find what's different (I'll PM you).
    Running W10 17134.48.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hitman runs fine here, like always.

Although I had similar glitch once, it would load or ctd, I fixed it by reinstalling physx, driver, game and all thatguy91 visual c++ files.

These drivers also scored the best in Batman AK avg went from 95 to 97fps. FFXIV heavensward - very cpu bound also scored the best so far incl. older 388.84.

Although earlier 397.xx has less minimized to desktop game startups, e.g. 397.40 and 397.31. Now I've seen it by few, most are DSR'd.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  9. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Custom colors settings are messed, seems they get loaded after Windows 10 boot but few seconds after they get unloaded and have to be reapplied manually. It's highly possible they can get unloaded during normal Windows 10 usage multiple times per session.

10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I intermittently got that too with both 397.31 and the hotfix driver 397.55. I sent NVIDIA some memory dump analyses to debug the issue with.

I've not had another BSOD since rolling back to 391.35.

grpm likes this.

11. jrolson

jrolson Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Firefox nvlddmkm driver crash is back... :(

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    My color settings keeps reverting from rgb full to YCbCr422 limited on every system start on 1803. Otherwise this would be a perfect driver.
    Edit: The issue was with CRU. After reapplying my display profile, the issue went away. Driver isn't at fault.

13. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I have noticed that frame rate is bit more stable(higher min, similar avg/max) at cost of increased CPU usage compared to 397.40V. Did anyone else notice same? I am on 1803/Pascal.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    an exclusion list that has a history of not being enough for some games :rolleyes:

Check your entire computer for instability, can't confirm it here.

did you disable the scheduled task?

15. grpm

grpm Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050
    I got another BSOD after a massive stuttering playing Dragon Age Inquisition and immediately rolled back to 391.35 too. What a waste of time.

16. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Same here with all 397.xx drivers on our GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Zotac Mini) based PC on Windows 10 1803, Windows 10 BSODs with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on startup or driver installation once the driver is loaded.
    When that happens, I can only wait for Windows to launch startup repair, which never finds any problems, then pick startup options and go to Safe mode and run DDU to uninstall the drivers.

391.35 is the last driver that works for that setup (perhaps it's a WDDM 2.4 issue with the card, since the PC was running 397.31 WHQL just fine in Windows 10 1709 before upgrading the OS, although there was one driver in the past that caused crashing issues with the card in 1709 as well). The driver works fine with the Titan X (Pascal), GTX 1080 (Notebook) and GTX Titan X (Maxwell) based PCs in the household, it's just the 1060 one that causes problems. When I replace the 1060 with one of the other cards in that PC, it works fine (on the other hand, when I put the GTX 1060 in one of the other PCs, it has the same BSOD problems with this driver), so it's definitely a driver issue with the card (I first thought it could be a problem with the rest of the hardware, since it's the oldest PC still in service here with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and some old chipset, but since the other cards work fine and the driver works fine).

Maybe @ManuelG could look into this, from user posts it seems it's mainly GTX 1060 and 1050 users that are affected.

PS.: By the way, with every new WDDM version introduced with Windows 10 having caused trouble with certain games and other things (especially the first couple of months after the new WDDM version becomes active), could we perhaps get an option upon installation to pick the WDDM version of the driver to install, perhaps? It should be possible, since the drivers include lower WDDM versions that are installed on older Windows versions anyway. Might be a good way to do some troubleshooting and see if the WDDM is to blame (or is there any way to force install the WDDM 2.3 version of new drivers via a modified .inf, etc.?).

grpm likes this.
  17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Not a single crash yet with Firefox.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

It doesn't work like that im afraid.

The driver simply tells the system "hey, i have this set of features" and RS4 is "yo, i know this stuff" and does 2.4" while RS3 is like "yeaah.. i dunno what those things are, lets just use what i know" and does 2.3

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Driver may "tell" the system whatever it wants. So yeah, it may work like that. It won't though as there's little reason to provide such debug function to end users.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Not if it wants to pass WDDM tests and get a whql stamp.

Microsoft has taken capability fudging away from the gpu vendors for a reason.

Of course, the validity of that reason is questionable.