15 Suspects Arrested and Fined $5.1 Million for Selling PUBG Cheats and Hacks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    TheDeeGee likes this.
  2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I hope those losers learn a lesson here but they won't.

3. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Good. Cheaters and cheat makers are losers. A reflection of their character, scum.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't think there's so much anything wrong about making cheats, because a lot can be learned from them. The real problem are those who redistribute them and those who use them in public servers - they are the real scummy losers.

I personally just don't understand the motive behind video game cheaters. After a few minutes of its novelty, it must get very boring. You're not doing any of the work, so it's not you who is earning anything (and therefore, what's the fun or pride in it?). Meanwhile, assuming you unlock things in this game (I'm not sure what you get for doing well since I don't play it), your actual skill level doesn't reflect that, since you haven't actually been playing the game. If what you want is to be on top of the leaderboard, everyone's going to know you cheated because the numbers are too unrealistic.
    Is the life of a cheater really so terrible that they have to spoil the free time of dozens to hundreds of people?

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Yup.

Arrests and multimillion dollar fines seem more like an absurd band-aid than an actual fix for the problem (doing their jobs and fixing the holes that allow cheats). I hope they're only pursuing adults here. Reading about a kid being getting sued by Epic left a bad taste in my mouth.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Sod the fines, harsh prison times!!!!

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For the most part I agree, though I'm not sure I'd consider this a band-aid fix. This is a pretty hefty fine. If people keep getting sued left and right for cheating, the threat of such a penalty might get people to stop. But... if this is just 15 of thousands of cheaters, then yes, this is just a band-aid fix. It's a lot like how people are sued for piracy - the fines are exorbitant, but people are so rarely sued for piracy that the probability of you being targeted for doing it is so low that it doesn't scare anyone away.

As long as cheaters know that they have a slim chance of being caught, they're going to keep doing it. So I agree that the devs really need to focus on actually fixing the problem rather than just punishing those who exploit the incompetencies in their work.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    One does not need to fix holes. It is enough to have detection of those hacks. Then you put cheaters into cheater category and they'll play only with and against other cheaters.
    Want to play again with normal people, fine... easy. Just play without cheats for 24hours. Apparently those 24 hours would be in company of all those cheaters. I bet that 24 hours of play time against everyone cheating would give better lesson than ban and forcing to pay $10 for another CS:GO copy.

And I think that MS is next one who gets sued if this goes through. Because hacks are just code which makes other code misbehave. Guess what Windows is.
    Or maybe nVidia for having 3D vision in driver which puts viewport bit to left and bit to right. As result one can see what's behind corner sooner or even see through walls.
    Maybe online advertisement companies can sue all adblock developers...

9. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    If they were arrested on April 25th and given its now the 1st of May something doesn’t ring true for them to have had a fair trail on relatively complex issue and already be fined $5.1m.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    If it comes from the Pubg guys I wouldn't believe it, these are the same folk that though a frying pan was a unique feature that only their game could have. I also note that their release seems to spend an awful lot of time telling us about hacks and trojans and other factors other than the fact that the guys were just selling cheats. Perhaps because end of the day it's a f*cking game and their claim of 5.1mill just sounds stupidly heaven handed for what is, at the end of the day just a game. Oh I am sure that to come up with that figure and the legit reasoning behind it they pushed the virus, trojan angle and then switched to the but they are making money off our IP side and the fact that the guys just happened to also include a cheat that worked on their game has worked in their favour. The question I would like to answer is, if I coded a hack for Pubg, a piece of code that was 100% my own work and used NONE of their code to get it working and I then stuck it on the internet for nothing would I then get arrested and charged 5.1mill?

I suppose it's easier for the developers to arrest and sue people for OTT non-existent crimes than it is to actually develop their games with decent and effective anti cheat systems, sad times we live in huh!

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Haha things sure get inconvenient for them when people call them out for their own claims. For example:
    [​IMG]
    That may depend on what the actual grounds are for the lawsuit. You're still defaming their product (and in turn, pushing away potential customers) so that could be enough. I'm sure it's against the ToS too.

12. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    Altough I and everyone here (hope) abhors multiplayer cheating/hacking, some of us (myself included) do ocasionally use cheats for singleplayer campaigns games (especially when you want to speedrun) and if those cheats are coming from respected sites that sell those cheats only for SP, it's totally safe, PUBG corp here are trying to brush the whole spectrum of game cheating with something like "it must contain a trojan here and there, which is false!

If you use a cheating program, and scan it before using it, you'll be safe, if not, it's at your own risk.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree that cheating on single player games is fine (as long as it doesn't affect leaderboards), especially the quirky cheats. But to my knowledge, PUBG is strictly multiplayer, so there is no room for cheaters.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's like Drugs, as long as there is a market there will always be suppliers. These cheat programmers are making serious money. Not just off of the cheats but also by stealing those that risk it in the first place.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    "The longstanding rumor that hacking/cheating programs extract information from users’ PCs has been confirmed to be true. Using illegal programs not only disrupts others, but can end up with you handing over your personal information."

This is bad ... glad they were arrested even if the affected were pathetic online game cheaters :p

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I first encountered cheaters on MW2 and I was like top dog!.(I could win/kick your ass in MP) then some cat with a hack could see me through Walls! .....totally messed the game up....Grrrrr

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I only played COD4, but there was nothing more gratifying than killing the hacker one-on-one, or better yet, beating them in the match. It rarely happened but it feelt so good to say "you suck so much at this game that you can't even win by cheating".

What wasn't so pleasant was when people votebanned me for cheating, even though I wasn't.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    haha^ ...I remember changing teams mid-game and just shoot at my team mate cause he was a wallhacker...other team win!...hacker team lose!....Loooool

schmidtbag likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MW2 had worse. Like you join match. And instantly everyone shot. One guy 8 kills with one shot. Rrespawn, repeat. Match ends in 30 seconds.
    Then there were hacked servers, you join, and suddenly everyone has unlocked all achievement and max level. Takes away anything you get from progression. So, you reset right after, and you are back at lv. 1. So not only some cheat, but ruin another few dozens of games for you afterwards.

But cheating in CoD was as common as walking. Perfect way to kill last game just before release of next one.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    They'd be doing their jobs if they implemented such a system, can't have that :p.