Windows 10 April Update has been released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is now confirmed, Microsoft has started rolling out the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, weeks delayed due to some issues when it initially released the update. ...

Windows 10 April Update has been released

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup mine updated real quick, make sure you guys have enough space lol.

3. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    I has done got installed it!

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Basically no real changes, just more bloat. 1607 is a keeper.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Much faster user experience and improved game performance...yeah not worth it. o_O

6. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Is there actually any benchmarks which verify this?
    As an insider I already had this update though, haven't really noticed much difference at all apart from a huge thing, the start menu actually works again.

7. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm a little impressed. All 4 of my machines got the update offered on manual update check immediately. Updates went fine, best so far in fact. I only had to reinstall my Creative Labs drivers as usual and turn fast boot off again on one machine. Bit sad that the home network group has been axed. I know many people hated it anyway, but I used and liked it.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    "Much faster user experience" - how so?
    "improved game performance" - proof.

Order_66 likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's good build. One can break start menu by moving around icons too much. Some will suddenly disappear and entire menu stops responding.
    Only functionality it keeps is close/open of menu itself... Takes like 5 minutes for it to recover.
    And it wants you to use its entire space, so if you remove 1/2 of icons, remaining will just not go in tidy little place you want them to be in.
    And empty space is not shrunk.

10. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    Isn't this the fixed patch where intel released the protection for specter for previous genarations cpus ? also AMD . Since I wasn't able to Install the previous version on my pc this one has no problem and after checking on my intel machine now it's not vulnerable to spectre .... so pretty much a must for older genarations intel

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    What's the build number for this update? Cheers

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I defer feature updates 365 days, and continue to do so after my early adoption experience with 1709.

1709 runs flawless now, but it sure as hell didn't at launch.

Not interested in repeating that experience again.

13. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    By "improved game performance" he's probably referring to those multiple user reports stating that stuttering is now completely gone on 1803. I personally never had stuttering issues on any build so I wouldn't know though.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Much snappier interface and I noticed fps increases on some benchmarks. As for proof, sorry I'm not going to spend the time to reinstall 1607 just to prove this to you. You can however give the OS a try on a separate partition and see for yourself. If you decide not to try it, your loss but I think you will find the overall feedback from this build to be very positive.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Unfortunetly most of us are too busy enjoying it to verify it. I've seen my score go up on final fantasy benchmark and I'm able to raise the settings on cpu limited areas slightly. Like I said in my post above, I'm not really going to go through the trouble of proving it but maybe someone else will. I also assume it effects different hardware differently.

16. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Wait, you're not referring to stutter on a main 144Hz screen when any animation is playing on a secondary 60Hz screen right?
    Because if so I'm gonna celebrate by letting out a pathetic nerd screech.

17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, I had to reinstall my Xonar U7 sound drivers after the update - otherwise the sound levels were all messed up, everything was amplified to the same volume (quiet bits in songs were too loud, and loud parts of the song were too quiet, no dynamic range). I've experienced this phenomenon every time there's been a major Windows Update, just reinstall the sound drivers.

Seems to be working fine in desktop & gaming so far, no issues & 3DMark scores are the same.

One thing to note, if you've used KB4090007 to install the latest Spectre-protected Intel microcodes then that KB is no longer compatible with this new version of Windows (v 1803), so we have to wait for them to release a microcode KB that is meant for this latest version of Windows, they've not released it yet.

18. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    No, stuttering during gameplay. Might fix your issue as well though, you never know.

19. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    What I've noticed so far:
    • It removed my Google Drive settings so that has to be setup again.
    • 3D Mark Timespy benchmark didn't work after the update so can't say if that runs faster.
    • Also creates a Edge shortcut on your desktop in case you need to install Chrome/FF again and tries to make you enable all the tracking and privacy invading settings again by forcing you to go through the settings process again.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Then don't talk nonsense. You experience fanboy placebo. Not more not less. As others stated above at best you got used to stuttering and now that it's fixed you perceive it as an improvement.

Order_66 and RzrTrek like this.