Suddenly Chrome causes 100% CPU usage

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by vidra, Apr 27, 2018.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi, a couple of days ago I noticed that simply opening Chrome caused my CPU usage to shoot up to 100%. I hadn't installed any new software or add-ons. I tried deleting the add-ons with no change... still 100%. I opened Firefox, which I use as my backup browser and everything ran fine, no extreme CPU usage.

Has anybody experienced anything similar? I tried googling, but the threads I found with a similar topic all died quickly without any proper explanation of the problem or a solution to it. Now, I've imported all my settings to Firefox and it's doing a great job, but I've been using Chrome for so long now, that I feel much more comfortable in its environment.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can use process monitor to spy specifically after the Chrome process to see what is it doing - file/registry/process/thread/network operations.

3. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Thanks, it seems that when I uninstalled the add-ons, they didn't actually uninstall, so I did it again and CPU usage returned to normal. I'm going to reinstall them (only 2) and see which one caused it.

Either way, thanks for your reply!

4. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I've noticed that, too.... but in my case, it's just out of nowhere. Haven't installed or uninstalled any extensions or anything lately. Kept wondering why A) every time I opened Chrome, my fan speed would ramp up quite a bit, and B) YouTube would take FOREVER to respond to going full screen and closing windows. Opened task manager, and it's showing anywhere from 13 to 18 i'm guessing you could say instances of Chrome open (shows " > Google Chrome (14) in the task manager), one of which is using nearly 100% of the CPU.

Funny part is... if I expand that to see every instance that's running, and just end that one specific one that's using all the CPU.... fans ramp down, and Chrome runs just fine.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, I suspect that after Chrome is upgraded to a newer version some advanced/experimental flags can stuck with values from previous version, and you can reset them manually. You can try this manual resetting too.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Meh.... i fixed it with the good ol' fashioned method of uninstall/reinstall. Still 8 instances of Chrome in the task manager... for whatever reason.... but at least none of them cap the CPU.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Reason for multiple instances of chromium-based browsers (may be others as well) is (1) one process per a tab (site), (2) several processes are dedicated to work like rendering/composing.

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Extensions even spawn an instance in task manager as well.

9. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I use soo many extensions, CPU usage is 0 lol, It's probably one extension that is bunk.