GeForce 397.31 WHQL Game Ready Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Apr 25, 2018.

1. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 397.31
    Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 397.31 , NVIDIA Corporation).

somehow crashed at like 1130pm, interesting part is i put my pc to sleep at like 9pm so go figure.

shame since i was hoping to get away without having to update these for quite some time. On a surround+SLI system its pretty much aids every time i do so i save it for big/important drivers usually.

2. mtbiker033

mtbiker033 Member

GPU:
    3080ti FE
    with 397.31 I had some issues with latest RTSS 7.1.0 and OSD. one of my games, rising storm 2: vietnam would whitescreen crash on opening with the OSD. another game, path of exile, the OSD would show up but hotkey toggle would not close it. Both of these were working fine with 391.35.

I rolled back via DDU and everything is working fine again.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you've got it installed, disable the nvidia virtual wave extension device, seems to be the source of sleep errors in this driver.

4. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    These drivers are buggy as hell. A reboot and I have no display driver issues but eventually the display driver fails over time..

NCP Says I have 397.31 installed but NGE doesn't think I have any drivers installed and prompting me to install 397.31 because it can't detect it.

DDU time and back to 391.xx

Looking around I've seen others with this problem where games/apps etc simply no longer see the card after Windows is up and running for a bit. They need to hot fix this crap ASAP. Or better yet.. Pull the entire thing.. Trash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    thanks for this reply. what is the virtual wave extension device before i disable it. Out of curiosity? The more you know right? :p

Also assume its in device manager? Considering ive never even heard of it before.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible)

Its a driver GFE installs for PC > Shield streams.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Probably what he means is to disable the Nvidia High Definition Audio Device, in Device Manager under 'Sound, video and game controllers'.

8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    disabled it. we'll see what happens. Is it something that will require a GFE version update then, not just driver update?

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You explained that pretty damn well. :D

-Tj- likes this.
  10. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    hmmm Wonder if that's why I got a system freeze playing a youtube video in chrome for like the first time ever on my system. (I doubt ms reintroduced the gdi leak. lol) Back to 391 for a while.

11. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8G
    Haven't updated to the 39x series at all after my 1060 started crashing at random times in games with no artifacts or any other anomalies. It stopped happening with the 38x series. Not updating to these either because apparently it's even more borked on some 1060s.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Depends, maybe only by RS3 since they're native Wddm 2.4, you can test again on Monday when 17134.5 RS4 releases.

13. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8G
    I'm on the latest RS4 build right now. But I have not tested the 390 series on RS4, actually, no.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yes, I am on Windows 10 1803. No idea but it's showing 6.0 as the highest shader model still. The app build I have is dated to March of last year, so it's fairly old.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I have that same issue as well. But I haven't crashed or anything. As far as I can tell, the drivers are completely stable.

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

GeForce.com Sora account belongs to @Squall Leonhart , he was banned here many years ago since that time multiple troll account were registered by him here in past years (e.g. @RandomDriverDev). diceman2037 account @ reddit belongs to exactly the same person, that fun Australian guy seem to have a personal crusade against G3D since loosing primary Squall Leonhart account here.

AsiJu and Cave Waverider like this.
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I used to skip over that guy's posts during my lurker days lol. What a loser!

Heartsworth likes this.
  18. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    How are you enabling HDR in RGB mode? I cant in 1709 w10 via windows settings. I have to select ycbcr 10bit first.

19. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    With dp 1.4 i can select 10 bit RGB full range for HDR. Also it works automatic with default settings wen enable HDR in window.

KingDazza likes this.
  20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Hmm...

I had left pc idling all night last night and went to play fc5 this morning, i got a message saying that there was no gpu driver present

this was fixed upon reboot ... win 10.. 1709

game itself doesnt crash now so for me at it is fixed in that regard, no problems with anything else that i have seen yet