Profile list not the same in "Nvidia ctrl panel" and "Profile inspector"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dasoft, Apr 26, 2018.

1. dasoft

dasoft Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 / 2Gb
    Hello,

why is the profiles list of programs (for 3D parameters) in my Nvidia Control panel (version 8.1.940.0 / the check box about programs found is unchecked) not the same as the list in the Nvidia Profile inspector (version 2.1.3.20) ? Some programs appear in the first and not in the second. Others in the second and not in the first...

My configuration : GPU GTX 1050 / Driver GeForce 391.35 (23.21.13.9135)

Someone has an explanation ?

Thanks to all

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    dasoft likes this.
  3. dasoft

dasoft Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 / 2Gb
    Thank you sir mbk1969

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    every profile in nvcp is listed in inspector, but not all listed in inspector will be in nvcp based on the graphics card family you have in use (Quadro vs Geforce).

nvcp also lists them per executable, where as inspector lists them by profile name and then lists the executables in that profile in the green bar beneath the profile menu.

5. dasoft

dasoft Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 / 2Gb
    Thanks Astyanax,

but does it mean that profile not appearing in nvcp will not be activated at the program launch even if it appears in inspector (which is the case of Cubase from steinberg) ?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, not at all, they are just hidden from users who aren't typically expected to use them.

They still apply any settings changed from within inspector

7. dasoft

dasoft Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 / 2Gb
    I hope so because Cubase 9.5 often crash with exception 0xc0000005 on nvwgf2umx.dll...
    Thank you Astyanax

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @dasoft

It may be that you can test whether profile is loaded with exe-file. As I take it when profile is loaded NV API will not let user to edit and to save it.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the profile is loaded into memory, you can alter it in nvcp or inspector, theres just a high chance the settings won't apply without a restart

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. I don`t remember the details (may be NV API refuses to import profile when exe-file is launched) but I stumbled upon this behaviour when I modified NV profile inspector for a user here. NV profile inspector is available in source files and one local user asked me to modify it for his purposes with export and import of profiles, and we discovered that NV API returns error when profile is actually in use.
    NV profile inspector has a command line parameter for importing profile from file.

PS But it may be that NV library just refuses to import profile from file not because it is already loaded but simply due to fact of launched exe-file.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    In use would be a collision event from two sources trying to modify at once. A profile loaded into memory is not locked from being altered, otherwise you couldn't change any of the profiles for windows processes like explorer.exe

Or a bug, that i've just never encountered when messing about with settings for running applications (which i do a lot).

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Of course it is logical to be able to edit and save profile regardless of exe-file status. And it is logical that freshly edited profile is taken to account only at next launch of exe-file.
    But since importing the profile from file is another function in NV API it can be implemented completely differently (comparing to simple editing and saving). It was not looking as bug though because error message was specific (about inability of importing the profile while exe-file is launched).