Review: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Lol I saw that price on Monday for pre-order ;)

Edit: i see its still the same, well 319€ for a 8 core 4.3ghz is very good, impressed.

I payed 329€ for my 4770k back then l, ff now I can get a decent 8 core :D things changed.. well i kind of expected 2018 would be that real 8core year,

intel icelake q3 2018 l, now for sure 8core around 330€.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. DethZero

DethZero Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC2
    This whole Spectre / Meltdown v1 and v2 or whatever they call it today, it seems way more confusing than it needs to be. So from my understanding, there is Windows Update that fixes part of it, there is a BIOS update that fixes another part of it, and then there is Intel's firmware update that adds more fixes? Hilbert, has everything been applied? Curious what AnandTech will do since Techradar is also reporting similarities.

Amx85 likes this.
  3. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Thanks for the review, i hope you update it with 3600MHz RAM, i checked other review and i was impressed, most of time over Intel 8000 series, they used all Windows updates on both systems, AMD said 3% more IPC, but there's a lot of changes on cache timings, for example, lv2 cache downs from 17 to 11 cicles, that's so impressive, lv1 and lv3 cache changed too (lv3 not in much amount)

greetings

4. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    the only wrong thing on Anandtech's review is that AMD 300 series motherboards hadn't lastest BIOS and patches

greetings

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Great review, and solid results. The 2700X makes my 1800X look positively anemic, and the value proposition is insane (amazing for content creators). It's also nice to see that most of the issues plaguing the first Zen launch were ironed out. I probably won't be buying one (I'll wait for Zen 2) but I'd gladly recommend Pinnacle Ridge to new system builders. Well done, AMD.

6. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Great review as always H :)
    If i was in the market for a new CPU i think i would have 2700X at the top of my list ,for what you get the value is really good

chispy likes this.
  7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    As expected, a great cpu. I'm happy with my Intel, don't feel like I need to change it for the foreseeable future but the truth is, if I was looking to upgrade now, the 2700x would be the one I'd go for. Excellent performance even in games, let alone everywhere else. Plus, 3200mhz ram easy peasy. Lovely.

I'll sit it out until the next generation though, as I really don't feel the need to upgrade. I said this earlier, but the next generation of 8c/16t Ryzen with around 4.5ghz boost and further optimisations will be very tempting. Plus I'm expecting Intel to react so it'll be a great time to invest again. God knows, we might even be looking to see 12c/24t cpus for a similar price in 12-18 months time. But for now, AMD nailed it, well done AMD, congratulations.

8. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    over x370???

9. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I am starting to put together a new rig. I was originally thinking of going 8700K but now I'm wondering if I should go with this Ryzen instead. Been a long time since I've used an AMD processor and chipset

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If you're building now, definitely go with the 2700/x. I've been a long time Intel user, the last AMD I had was a 3800 x2 but I'd take the 2700/x over the 8700k right now. the 8700k is a great cpu for sure. The advantage of AMD comes with more cores/threads so if you see yourself using them, go for it. The 8700k will have better IPC and overclock better. So, for heavily threaded use, Ryzen is the one to go with and in games, it also does great. You'll probably have a better choice of motherboards if you go with Intel and you'll probably find running faster ram easier, although fast ram is quite pricey atm.

TLDR: I'd personally go with the Ryzen, unless you have a specific reason where you need a faster IPC and higher clocks.

maikai likes this.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Marvelous article as always @Hilbert Hagedoorn , finally a proper review to read :) , well done and thank you so much for the time and effort to make such an outstanding cpu review.

Guys if the Motherboards Bios + Windows Updates is updated to the latest , it is already Spectre V1 and V2 / Meltdown patched so stop asking the same question again and again :rolleyes: , and that goes for both Intel and AMD. If the reviewer said that he updated to the latest Bios and Windows update no need to worry about funky and skewed results.

This cpu in fact did surpass my expectations :) by a lot as i was expecting a hardwall at 4.3Ghz , but it is a fact this is not the case and i'm so glad of this ( I have already seen a 4.5Ghz overclock stable cpu on propper water cooling , so there are some hidden gems to be found out there :D ). 16 threads at 4.4Ghz as you can see per own Hilberts review it's a force to be reckoned with. I see it as a big win win double slammer for AMD this round , all those small optimizations add up giving you a refine all around better cpu than Intel , be it for gaming ( Unless you play all your games at 720p :p ) and every day multitasking. Keep it up AMD and a big thumbs up for such a great cpu !

Kind Regards: Chispy

HandR, jura11 and Embra like this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Pretty much how I see it, AMD used all their experience from the first gen Ryzen and improved on the recipe, throwing it out with a sweet price. I really think that Intel will put up a stiffer competition next time around, making AMD even better. I'm really excited about all of this. The cpu market has been very stale in the last decade with Intel dominating and only doing as little as they had to, which is, of course, the right thing to do if you're Intel. But in the last 12 months or so, it's getting interesting again and thank god for that.

chispy likes this.
  13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Well .. too bad that i play mainly Guild Wars 2 because that games is slow as hell with any Ryzen CPU, unlike Intel.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Tbh, even at 4.3ghz it would beat an 8700k @ 5ghz in many of the multi-threaded benches. 4.3ghz could be the sweet spot in terms of perf and heat/power draw. I wouldnt want to OC this thing if it only brings incremental gains but at a much higher heat/power cost. Which is often the case with chips binned near to their limit with little to no headroom left.

The final clincher is value. At 4.3ghz you could do with the included stock cooler at no extra expense. The 8700k you have to buy the cooler. So the Intel chip would end up costing up to a $100 more.

chispy likes this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I agree with you in regards to overclocking , some people do not overclock at all and runs stock cpu clocks wish is fine on 2700x with a boost to 4.3Ghz it is a no brainer. While a few of us like to overclock everything balls to the wall without worrying of a few more degrees/power draw it would seem like a big step from Ryzen 1 hard wall 3.8Ghz~4.0Ghz going all the way up to 4.2Ghz~4.4Ghz wall on Ryzen + 2700x.

I also agree that this is the best value cpu out there right now with the aggressive pricing and including a well made cpu cooler , there is a lot of value.

alanm likes this.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    yep, one of many games that will take advantage of your IPC/clocks and not utilise the 16 threads. Typical with many MMOs.

I personally would throw the bundled cooler in the bin and use something better anyway, so would many more I'm sure. Most people already have more capable coolers, I would even say "drop the cooler and make the price £30 cheaper because I'll be using my own cooler".

17. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'd love to see one of those immensely popular older CPUs included in the benchmarks, like 3770K or whatever was the Sandy Bridge equivalent.

The Phoenix likes this.
  18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Me too but it's a lot more complicated than that. a 3700k at say 4.5ghz would look good in graphs but there's a lot more to it. Older cpus are limited by ram throughput and other limitations. While they would look good in charts, think within 10% of a modern i7 at 1440p, the real life performance would feel a lot worse than what we see in charts.

19. zero_cool

zero_cool Guest

GPU:
    Two amd fury X
    Ohhh we have a problem with ryzen + reviews , most of the were not done with spectre/melt patches and not Toms are re-doing the review

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Fantastic review Hilbert.

Eagerly waiting for Zen 2 as my next upgrade from 4770k.

-Tj- likes this.