Far Cry 5: Denuvo with VMProtect cracked within 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 18, 2018.

1. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    For those thinking that this article doesn't help or mean anything, look at it this way:

Ubisoft and the others pay a pretty significant amount to the companies that develop these DRM system (or in some cases spend significant money internally), which means that proving that these technologies don't actually help much goes a long way towards showing they are not worth the investment. There's also a cost incurred by having to provide authentication servers - you know, the ones that have repeatedly stopped legit customers from playing the games they bought over the years?

Now couple that with the fact that the base price of AAA titles have not increased since the PS3/360 launch in 2005/2006 and you can see how attractive cutting out a company that provides ineffective DRM might be. Between that and the success of CD Projekt Red's DRM-free model, someone at the big publishers may eventually wake up and realize their policy doesn't help anyone. We're kinda overdue for a base game price increase, but cutting DRM may actually be able to stave that off for a couple more years.

2. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    Unpacking usually takes hours because only 1 core is being used and it is also very bad for your ssd's health since for a game, lets say of 40gb, with these fitgirl's repacks, more than 200gb is written to your ssd. Imagine this happening with every game. Shadow of war repack wrote more than 400gb

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  3. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    The thing is that it is not an easy task for us to say how much time must pass for the copy protection investment to pay for it self. And there is also a big degree of subjectivity to it. So for these big companies to drop drms altogether is something that is highly unlikely to ever happen. Best case scenario is to drop denuvo like protections and keep some generic ones that will prevent your average guy that doesn't know much from computers copying it from his friend.

4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Most of us older guys are not in a huge hurry to spend our hard earned bucks on AAA titles. I still haven't played Wolfenstein II The New Colossus yet, installed it and had 10 minutes messing with settings and stuff but i now have patience with the titles i want. Does it matter if i wait 6 months to get FC5 on sale? No of course not. I'm not really into theft but i will use a cracked version of a game if i own it and wish to rid it of DRM.

That very thought should make Devs think carefully about ALMOST malware levels of protection which is getting out of hand. It might not bother those with powerful PCs but some people have what i call borderline gaming machines where every bit of CPU/Ram usage counts.

HandR, Backstabak, bigfutus and 2 others like this.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Can't say that enough.

6. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Good now my Phenom 965BE @4.2GHZ can run it. I can play on ULTRA settings on the last 2 titles FARCRY games and FARCRY 4 wasn't dumb down like FARCRY 5 and you can tell from studies on youtube.

Anyone that doesn't have SSE 4.2 CPU instruction set should be finally able to play the cracked version?

7. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Bought the game, co op is really good fun

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Ssd's prouven that can witstand a lot more ..A LOT more thatn their advertised durrability and especially if it is a game drive where you install and forget often is not even a consern! Now hours? Not a chance ! I am actually really tempted to download the 15 gb version just to time the unpack and then delete it :p

9. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    IF unpacking takes "hours", then something is terribly wrong on your end. Most take 15-30 min and that is with a quad core + hdd. And no it doesn't write 5x the download.

10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    FITGIRL's repacks can take upto 2 hours actually depends on the compression

pokerapar88 likes this.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    steam pretty much max out my connection to 1.7 mb / sec 25 extra gb is 4 hours + download for me ! at least i have no data cap and i know for a fact on my area i got a lucky draw on my speed ! adsl only available here ...people get from 8 up to 15mbit ... i got 17 mbit ... i would really like a packed option on steam

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It kinda depends how you buy your games on Steam. If you pre-order and pre-load, those 25gb don't really matter, because you have a lot of time to get it done. Also, if you want to be there at the launch of a highly anticipated game, it would take sooooo long to decrypt the files on Steam if they were heavily compressed.

Or do you buy your games on a whim and once you buy you want them to download asap?

I know where you're coming from btw, ADSL was the only option for me until recently, living on a 14mbit down. I now have 70 down and 20 up so the extra gb don't really matter to me that much, I'm just curious how you buy your games on Steam because I've been excited about a game before, more than once, and when it finally unlocked on Steam, sitting through the decryption of the files was so annoying.

Venix likes this.
  13. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I'm just gonna say one thing:

This is not a bad thing for the gaming industry.
    All serious studies that have been carried out by governments and private institutions have demonstrated that (at least for the gaming industry) piracy is beneficial (or at the very least it's not harmful) for gaming companies.
    It has been proven that piracy works as means for free propaganda where people try the games and decide wether they like it or not (as if it was a demo) and if they like it, there's a big chance they will buy it. If they don't, then they weren't a potential client from the beggining, and there's no actual loss of money for them.
    Also, users that play pirated games comment about it and share their experience with friends, generating more possible customers.
    This is why demos should have a big come back.
    If you don't believe me, check this article out:

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

The only industry that's actually harmed by piracy is the movie industry and the conclusion of this investigation was that going to the cinema is too expensive, this is why people tend to wait for a pirated version or to see it once it comes out on one of their streaming services such as netflix or amazon prime video.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Nothing beats DRM free.

lucidus likes this.
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i normally buy only on sale ..and not in a whim i am very aware when i buy games and normally i will leave em to download overnight and not bother much and i NEVER EVER EVER pre-order i will wait to see if the game is actually good from reviews and then decide to buy it ... now if it is 40gb i forget it for that day i will buy it and leave it at night now if it is 10-15 gb i will play the same night is not a deal breaker but i would love the option that's all ... my main point was that it is funny .. that pirates offer both options on that aspect it is kind of funny isn't it ?!

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You are not wrong there, my back catalogue of games is paying dividends big time as i can sit on the sidelines and watch the mess that is the games industry of the last few years, unfold. Lol
    Now i am off back to Skyrim on the XBX which i have had sitting for over a year and i am not stopping until i finish the game on one plarform. Lol

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    lucidus and airbud7 like this.
  17. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    I don't own Farcry 5, That game looks dumb down console shitty. Farcry 5 will drop price around 5-10 bucks. I like Farcry 1 better than all other series.

2 cents.

18. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    For those in the UK, the Currys deal of a Samsung 500GB 860 EVO + Far Cry 5 for £134.99 is not the worst deal in the world if you really want the game.

jura11 and airbud7 like this.
  19. Carbonic

Carbonic Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    What I I am curious about is how the performance is "cracked version" vs. "DRM version".

bigfutus and TheDeeGee like this.
  20. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    exactly.
    with this kind of pricing policy torrents are on rise again.