Noctua teases NF-A12x25 fan - almost 4 years development

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I was wondering what happened to those. I saw the preview on Computex and it sounded like some good innovation went into those. Now they just need to also release 140mm, since thats what I primarily use.

3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    If only they would offer alternative colour schemes

chispy, Silva, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It doesn't matter to me personally since I don't like cases with windows or other sort of transparency, but considering how popular see-through is among other PC builders, I have always wondered the same thing. It's almost like their trademark, but if it hurts sales, is it worth it?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, it is worth it. People who buy noctua fans love this design and color. But, they may create blueish tinted version for people who have Blue taste. Green light may work well enough with regular color scheme.

But in the end of the day, those who consider lighting in PC case as main priority will get fans which have LEDs integrated, maybe even RGB controller compatible.
    So, noctua is really not going to make entry to PC-Instead-of-Xmas-Tree crowd.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 likes this.
  7. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Not too sure about that in particular. While I don't find Noctua ugly I couldn't claim them to be visually appealing, either.

The reason I opt for Noctua whenever possible is solely because I prefer functionality over aesthetics, which is where Noctua delivers like no one else - especially under consideration of their 6 year warranty.

A proper Noctua tower can easily last you a life time given their compatibility kit history if you're willing to replace the fans whenever (if ever) they're due for replacement.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I don't quite understand why people like these expensive fans and from my experience, they were always louder than anything I had laying around.

9. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    You should try out a Noctua fan and then you'll find that it actually is incredibly quiet.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Also you need to be sure to actually compare apples to apples. Noctua fans are also quite powerful, but they also ship with a Low-Noise-Adapter that reduces both their airflow and noise if you are so inclined. So when comparing fans, you also need to compare their airflow and/or static pressure at a given noise level. Some other fan could be quieter but also shuffle much less air - so you atttach the Low-Noise-Adapter and it probably outperforms it in both metrics.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I've got 3 Noctua fans (2x120mm, 1x140mm) but had to remove all of them due to unwanted humming sound.

I'm now running on cheap Fractal Design case fans and temps are just as fine, so sorry for not falling for the hype.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    D3Master and -Tj- like this.
  12. OddGentleman

OddGentleman Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X 3G
    That is not the point. You can have an RGB lighted PC with the performance similar to Noctua if not the same. Companies like Phanteks make fans that are on par with Noctua, yet they can have multiple colors and RGB. People ARE buying other fans because of style AND those fans are not worse then Noctua, or Noctua fans are 2 degrees C better yet no color options, and people will chose some other fans. So Noctua's color politics is absolutely counter-profitable.

RzrTrek likes this.
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm not so sure of that, but who knows. I only buy Noctua fans, but it's definitely not for the colours. In fact the colours make them uglier than most fans I've seen, but like I said, you can't see the insides of my PC, so the colours don't matter to me. I just like the quality and performance they offer. Plus they are easily available in my parts. I don't like to wait two weeks to get a fan or two.

Though that being said, checking the links in Hilbert's post, Noctua seems to be experimenting with other colours as well.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    These new Noctua fans look interesting, I wonder what the little V's on the fan blades actually do?

My favorite fans so far have been the Corsair Air Series SP120's... the body of the fan is black with rubberized parts and they have these little rings that you can take off to change the color around the fan...

15. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    One of the reasons i buy Noctua is specifically because they don't cater to the RGB nonsense. I'll never buy a case with a window if I can avoid it, windows have terrible acoustic behavior, and the less I notice my tower even being there, the better.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    big ROBOT bill likes this.

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    [​IMG] The new Noctua fans are a little too strong if you ask me;)

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I like the Noctua color scheme, it's different in a world of black, white and RGB.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  18. TwisterZ

TwisterZ Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Noctuas are good but right now they are not the best if you want the best performance at low rpm that's the silent wings 3 by be quiet! I'm really interested to see how these new noctuas performs at that 1000 rpm range on radiators

D3Master likes this.
  19. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    I really like their Redux line for that reason.

20. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    What's with the poo and puss colours?