PlayStation 5 would be released no sooner than 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Xbox 1 of-course;

Xbox 1, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X.

Next gen will be;

Xbox 2, Xbox 720, Xbox Two, Xbox Two S, Xbox Two X.

Logical.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Maybe you're right that ppl don't think twice if the game is 1440p or 1800p when they stand in the store with the game in their hand but if they watch videos then they're suddenly aware of this and big numbers always sound better.

Some games got the ability to change display mode to either 1080/60fps or 4K/30fps and maybe 1080p/30fps in super pretty mode. I hope this will become standard and that the next PS will always have the option to run a game at 60fps. More than 60 is probably not necessary since most play on their TVs anyway and TVs in general are 60Hz.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I hope 4k@60fps will become standard, but I won't hold my breath. Only 2 years left to create 100$-ish iGPU powerful enough to drive it.
    Graphics gonna suffer dramatically if devs start to drop settings to achieve 60fps on 4k with current hardware.

Pretty 1080@60fps seems more plausible.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah it becoming more like PC options is just better for everyone, letting the consumer choose how they want the experience rather than just giving them how the developer wants it, Cause i'd take 1080p 60 over 1440p 30 anyday of the week

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Agreed. That's how I played Nioh for example. And if they add some Supersampling it looks quite good anyway.

6. Stickynote

Stickynote Guest

GPU:
    Iris Pro/128Mb
    Last time they said PS5 will be released this year. I still have hope...

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    1080p 60fps and stable at 60fps I will take over higher res with unstable fps, 1080p still look amazin IF it done right, console dont have power to do this, I dont think the pro or xbox one x can do this reliability. let alone 4k

8. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I’m ok with 2020, it could be even later (2021/2022). The regular PS4 (non pro) still good enough in my opinion.

9. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i bet most people in here using steam and know how the trending flow

most developer, even japanese developer that really "close-relationship" with sony
    releasing their game on PC, most of them released same day as US version
    look at those BandaiNamco, KoeiTecmo.... even squareenix dont want to miss the trend, like FFXV just few months behind console release

today game-console isnt like in past, where most game will be released on, and without the console, we cant play the game either.

about catching up on 4K@60fps... well we all know display trending toward high-resolution, but even current high-end PC GPU even still have hard time... by in 2020, probably high-end model can do that....but hard to say if console going to use high-end GPU

the more i see with the changes, i think sony playstation isnt all about the console anymore
    its more about the platform (PSN).... sony prolly can frachising the playstation brand to PC maker, although its hard to think PSN run over windows-platform

10. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    Why would they release a new console 4 years after the previous one when the industry standard is 5-7 years? "This just in thing that has never happened before continues to not happen!". Come on, this isn't news. They're confirming something isn't going to happen that nobody suggested was going to happen in the first place.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Actually i would be quite happy to see consoles going the upgrade route say every 3/4 years if it means getting a console that is more optimised and has every bit of juice sqeezed out of it, and if that helps keep the price down then that is the cherry on the cake, because i am enjoying 4k now and with that bar having been reached all they have to really do now in my view is incrementally tweak and tune the hardware, because i personally don't think we need massive all new consoles that ditch all previous content just because we are told this is the new thing, i like where they were they are going now.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The sooner consoles have a true generational upgrade, the sooner we get better looking games on PC. They can't currently do much more because the Jaguar CPU is a joke compared to any high end CPU from the past eternity. The XB1X and PS4 Pro both still use that joke CPU. Jaguar was made with tablets sub-garbage-tier 4th world laptops in mind, not gaming. That's why developers are trying so hard to reduce draw calls, they don't have a choice. Notice that modern games these days lack effects that would rely on some CPU power, like the Far Cry games are obviously missing effects that even FC2 had.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Regarding those FC2 effects, I'm thinking the removal is most probably due to the game being intended for multiplayer... Just a hunch, simplifying networking *shrugs*

If that's not the reason then there is no reason for the removal other than lazy developers.

14. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I doubt that is the reason, the effects are largely client side calculations, at most a trigger is sent from the server to initiate an effect, but most work will be client side.