crazy woman shooting at YouTube! ...wth?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Apr 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    At this point, there is no way to reduce the violence in the US. The US is a lost cause. We have a mental health crisis....that goes almost completely ignored. We have an opioid crisis....that goes almost completely ignored. The Gov't is too busy giving the top 1% and huge mega-corporations massive tax breaks while tearing down every program designed to help the poor to worry about what's actually going on in the country. Things are only going to get worse from here.

2. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I hope your wrong.

JaxMacFL likes this.
  3. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    Someone writes a constitutional element a few generations ago using then usage of American English, at a time when the cost of a gun precluded many more people, and guns were fundamentally less lethal and far more cumbersome.

And yet people still think it should apply today, even though the cost of guns has clearly not scaled with the time that has past (inflation), while manufacturing capability is clearly far beyond what the writers of the law could ever envisaged which has fuel their low cost, while technological advancement has made them fundamentally more lethal by orders of magnitude.

I find it had to think that if you could somehow go back in time and find the lawmakers of then and were to hand them a gun of today, tell them how little it cost relative to a working persons wage, and were to tell them of the social ills and failing of today, that they would somehow use the same verbiage for the constitutional elements, rather than a far more stringent and restrictive verbiage that would preclude magnitudes more people from ownership.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's bit deluded way to look at constitution. Owning a gun in as dangerous times as those were meant same thing it means today.

Ability to defend yourself with appropriate force attacker uses. Ban guns and not much will change. And that what will change will be for worse.
    Criminals will still use guns, illegally obtained. Victims will be just victims, or people who decided to obtain illegal weapon themselves. In that case those victims will be subjected to criminal charges on top of being forced to defend their lives or die.

Isn't it funny? Good choice between Death on Street or Years in the Prison, right?

JaxMacFL, Lex Luthor, Brasky and 3 others like this.

5. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070

Deluded would be thinking laws are not subject to change to keep with the times, deluded is thinking verbiage used then has the exact same meaning/context now, deluded is thinking guns were as dirt cheap then as they are now, deluded would be thinking the social ills of today were the same as then, deluded is thinking that many of the illegally held guns weren’t at one time legally held guns that are prolific precisely because laws have been so lax on purchase and ownership etc, deluded would be thinking banning guns for most people will overnight undo well over a century of deluded state, government and judicial apathy to the problem, deluded is putting off doing something to effect change even though it may take 50+ years to undo the damage of state, government and judicial apathy.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Look at UK.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Banning guns wouldn't make things better unfortunately. Only worse. I've already seen that here. Imagine guns only being in the hands of criminals and you'd have no way to defend yourself.

JaxMacFL, Lex Luthor, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  8. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    You say look at the UK, look how safe it is even in the worst places, much like the rest of Europe.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can put it pretty straight... Tell us what does not categorize as Offensive Weapon in UK. So you are legally allowed to carry it.

If you are in situation that you have 5 guys roaming nightly your area. And some person being assaulted by masked group. What legal weapon you can use for your self defense?
    Police? No, they already questioned this group and found no evidence.

If they ever decide to hurt you, they will be empowered by knowledge of you being very limited in your defense choices. Kids here are playing with tools UK classifies as Offensive weapons. They grow to respect this force.

And on other hand, people here are protected by mere knowledge that quite some civilians here have guns. Criminals never know if that little lady is capable to put few bullets into them. Or that man 10 meters away.
    - - - -
    Problem is with US. Cops there are trained to shoot. people in general have much lesser respect for life. As I am not stupid nor suicidal, I know that in US you do just one thing if you see Cop who does not look like he has great mood and there may be problem:
    "Officer, I intend to do anything you ask me to do."
    No jokes, no talking back, no sh*t. And there is good reason for it. They would be killed in great many situations. Take weapons from law loving civilians and they will still face same criminals Cops are afraid of to point that they rather ask once shoot 2 mags.

10. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070

Offensive Weapons:

a folding knife with a none locking blade of <3” blade length you can carry only for lawful purposes (only if you have reasonable need to carry such a knife – defence is NOT a reasonable need)

However anything you hold in your hand for the purpose of attacking someone can be considered and offensive weapon, so can your hands themselves if you are licensed to box or perform other martial arts.

But it is also context driven, e.g. a screwdriver is not an offensive weapon if you are using it or intending to use it as a screwdriver, if on the other hand you intend to use it as weapon and can offer no believable reason as to why you have it on your person, then there is only one logical conclusion.

In in the situation you pose, I may use reasonable force in protection on another, but in the situation the question of MY “self defence” doesn’t arise until I have to defend myself, and then the force used must be reasonable force.

In theory if I have used reasonable force for the situation then it doesn’t matter what I have in my hand for that purpose.

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I blame the NRA and the ability to buy and own guns in the state.........................

12. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    London recently passed New York in the murder rate. Violent crime, including the super scary "gun violence", has been ever increasing in England over the last few years.

and now you are going to lose your right to own a knife. Chop Sticks for everyone (except for criminals who now will find their victims even less able to defend themselves.)
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/world/2018/04/09/london-mayor-knife-control/500328002/

Lex Luthor likes this.
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    According to that text, there was no implied intent for the average "private citizen" to have a guaranteed right to own a gun but rather for members of the "militia", presently known as the "National Guard"....

I usually try to avoid such discussions because there always seems to be some gun fanatic that was present the day the Bill of Rights was drafted, that discussed the second amendment with it's drafters at great length and knows exactly what they actually meant, contrary to what the document actually says....but what the hell....

That makes 2 of us. Unfortunately, I have this bad feeling that I'm right...

Unfortunately, you're correct. Banning guns in a country where guns outnumber people would never work. There are too many in this country that would be more inclined to start a revolution than to hand over their guns peacefully....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Lex Luthor likes this.
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Who would collect them all... our sons and daughters in the military?

I don't think so.

JaxMacFL, Lex Luthor and sykozis like this.
  15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I find it rather funny that it's perfectly legal to walk down the street in my city with an AR-15 hanging from your shoulder but if I walk down the street carrying a sword, I'll end up in jail..... The AR-15 can kill more people per second than my sword could per minute, yet the AR-15 is legal to carry and my sword isn't..... However, you don't see sword owners screaming about their second amendment rights being infringed even though a sword would be protected under the second amendment per it's wording.

JaxMacFL, Lex Luthor and airbud7 like this.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    That is True^....pocket knives can only be 5" or less... Lol

Edit: with concealed weapon permit is different here in S.C.

JaxMacFL likes this.
  17. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    It's ironic that a Bowie knife is illegal to carry in Texas!

JaxMacFL, Brasky and airbud7 like this.
  18. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070

Yes London’s Feb and March figures did pass New York in murder rate.

Jan 2018 London = 9, New York = 22

Feb 2018 London = 16, New York = 14

March 2018 London = 21, New York = 20.

(correct as of April 6th data)

But in Q1 London = 46, New York = 56

So for the 3 months to 1st April 2018 London has had 10 less murders, which is ~18% less.

Or if we use data for 2017 as a whole:

London = 166, New York = 292.

Which is ~43% less in London

Now if you know anything about statistics you will know that little bumps in data are to be expected, and the longer the period you sample give you a better overall picture of the longer term average, thus the real reality of just how safe somewhere is, rather than being statistical blips.

19. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Wow! That's still a lot of murders, London should make firearms illegal!:rolleyes:

JaxMacFL and airbud7 like this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    A nebo by jsem to mohl stihnout v poledni pauze. Alzu mam par zastavek zalinou
    No, their main London's Apologist intends to ban knives altogether. Because... You know... Knives Kill... not people.
    Maybe Germany can learn thing or two from them and ban Trucks... Or better all cars altogether.

JaxMacFL, airbud7 and Lex Luthor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.