Metro Exodus - NVIDIA RTX Real-Time Raytracing Demo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So from what I've been reading, it sounds like DX12 DXR does the raytracing for all these games, regardless to whether it supports RTX or not. DXR works on any GPU but in order to get high quality output, you need an extreme amount of rays, which will bog down modern GPU setups. RTX seems to invoke DXR but with minimal rays then uses one of three different denoisers (depending on the effect) to get a clear image with those minimal rays. That denoiser is specific to Volta - but technically you could DXR Raytrace on any modern GPU. So theoretically, a developer or AMD could do their own denoiser and mimic this idea.. although the algorithm Nvidia is using for RTX seems to take advantage of matrix operations, which is why it runs on Volta's tensor cores. Perhaps a highly optimized FP16 implementation could get similar results.

It also sounds like the dev gets to control the initial ray output - which is why something like Epic's demo of raytracing was so performance intensive/high quality, while something for Metro is probably using far less rays optimized for a non $60,000 setup lol

akbaar and Stormyandcold like this.
  2. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Thank you Hilbert for posting this video. I'm really looking forward to this game, and I appreciate 4A Games for making it!

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    To be a bit more specific. DX12 DXR Raytracing works on DX12 compatible cards, RTX, however, is a hardware/software layer part of DX12 DXR that only works with Volta and newer cards. So if you see a video listed tagged with NV RTX, it's Volta or newer gen cards responsible for that.

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    So does this mean that the game will be supporting this?

5. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Yes

6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Okay, steam page says that the game is scheduled for release sometime this year. That means we can also expect next gen cards this year? Wonder why Nvidia isn't saying much.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah early dx9 not even c

for me I think its just the game or the style it just looks older but it has its moments in some areas.

Hiikeri likes this.
  8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    No way in hell will my 980 be able to play this,on the upside Metro continues to be the Source to blow-up your video card I love it!

Massive delay on 3-d guru using my mobile phone,which gives Hilbert?

9. SharkyUK

SharkyUK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4090
    We're still a long, long, long way away from full raytracing in games. It's great to see this tech coming to current generation cards but, as some have already said, this is the first step of many. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome in the meantime, namely finding a nice way to integrate and harmonise rasterisation and raytracing processes and having sufficient compute performance to make it happen. These demos are only using 1-2 samples per pixel for reflections, shadows and AO which isn't many! Especially when you consider that offline CGI (such as we see in movies) will be using thousands and thousands of samples per pixel. That said, there is some cool denoising technology being developed that produces excellent results from a minimal amount of samples, as we are seeing in the likes of the UE4 raytracing demo. It's just a shame it requires a £90,000 DGX workstation with 4x Tesla V100's to run it at 1080p @ 24fps.

10. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    Only water look good.and what happened to shadows inside house.Looks very bad shadows stuff there

11. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    The water looks like garbage, and not only because of the archaic technique, the scale off the ripples is way off.
    But if you find this outdated water good, then you may like this water too.

youtu.be/f0E5-lDwN90?t=6m53s

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    gx-x likes this.
  12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    To be frank, water from 3D Mark looks much better. Especially considering the year of the making...

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I think the point of this video was to show how RTX works, that's about it. Graphics wise, previous Metro titles have a better picture, so I would assume this either doesn't have all features enabled yet.

cowie likes this.
  14. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    Notice the bad grass physics

15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Looks like Ukraine to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Wow, terrible. I remember seeing ray tracing rendering years ago in cgi and was like wow, wonder when games will be able to run this. But i'm thinking now that the tech evolved so much with global illumination (and even with some implementations of local illumination ) that the above video looks like years ago.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    If it's RTX and their method of using ray-tracing to enhance certain effects then the difference isn't the lighting. :) That would be some form of global illumination used for that along with physically based materials.

RTX would be used for the reflections (Water early on in the video.) and the shadows and ambient occlusion. (The interior area later in the video.) From how I understood it at least. :)

EDIT:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworks-ray-tracing

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    impressive looking, but is really 60fps?, and if so what was running on?, I do find it sad that I need to run video at 4k on YT to just get the effect true 1080p in YT though there most likely a night and day diffrence between 4k video on yt vs 4k seen in person

19. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Too much criticism. This looks great, the amount of hard work that people have put into producing this and getting it out there should be recognised.
    I for one and very excited for this to come out and will be supporting it.