Assassin’s Creed Origins

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Aug 21, 2017.

1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This is an utterly fallacious statement as SLI is necessary for many AAA titles (4K, max details) and equally for older, more demanding titles.

While we can all agree that mGPU support has been less than stellar for the last few years, implying that anyone who invests in it is only interested in 'internet points' is patently untrue.

Many titles are properly supported although sadly the level of support SLI users once enjoyed is not what it used to be.

In all honesty, I'd like to get rid of SLI but until there is a single GPU solution that can manage max res @ max details, those of us who do not want to sacrifice eye candy for the sake of resolution are stuck with it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Barry J and Dragam1337 like this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    This is a recent trend, it didn't start 5 years ago - until 2017, nearly all major AAA games supported sli... battlefield 1, witcher 3, gta 5, even the previous asscreed game syndicate (and all asscreed games before that).

But non-sli users have always been talking crap about sli, despite the fact that they know nothing about it, besides the BS they read online... usually from other non-sli users.

Passus and BangTail like this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well even if there IS scaling, I find it mandatory that it's GOOD scaling and not like 30-40% I got in Witcher 3. I was once an advocate of SLI and had it for three generations but FC:primal and the lack of support really got me chewing on my desk with anger. Frostbite games however were always mGPU friendly.

4. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Let me fix that for you :) --

max res @ max details @ max fps @ max refresh rates.

This is only possible with SLI, in any game. Unless you're playing Half Life 1. I use a 3440x1440 @ 100 Hz display. One overclocked 1080Ti does not drive 90% of games to max res @ max details @ max fps @ 100 hz. Using only one card, one or more of these need to be sacrificed.

And lets be clear -- who would willingly choose to play a game at just 'ok' over 'fantastic!' if they could? No one. Which is why it's funny when SLI-bashers come out of the woodwork: you're on an enthusiast PC gaming forum, and you're flipping the bird to those who want the best gaming experience? Odd. What are you doing here then?

And I haven't even gone into the benefits of running games in DSR, especially 4X DSR -- adding even more stunning visual fidelity to your game, and which you need SLI unless the game you're playing is scrabble; or using SLI to play a demanding game quietly -- the load split between two cards with fans on 50% versus one card with the fans on 100% blowing a cyclone in your ear. Quieter gaming while running max FPS in your games? Yes please.

I'm quite happy with my SLI setup, thank you very much :)

Witcher 3 scaling is like 90%. Was that before a profile was released?

Also just in case, a beefy CPU is necessary depending on the game to drive SLI.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Dragam1337 and BangTail like this.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, there are plenty of users who insist on 4K but are quite happy to sacrifice visual fidelity to get there, I'm not one of them (I'm not bashing those people btw, you pays your money you makes your choice).

I actually prefer moving to 1440P (as opposed to lowering settings) when SLI is not supported because one 1080Ti/Titan Xp is usually enough for 1440P (maxed out).

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Witcher 3 has 90+ % sli scaling - sounds like you either had an inadequate cpu or ram.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4cP3Z

If you were having bad sli scaling in far cry primal, it again points to cpu bottleneck, as that game tends to bottleneck on core 1.

This.

7. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    Remembering why I stopped playing. FedEx go fetch side quests. And the ai is terrible. Can't believe I can sneak next to someone from the side (don't even have to be behind) and assassinate.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I used to have two 980Ti running Witcher 3 in SLI and with one card I got like 75fps and with to I got like 95fps at 1440p running on a 6700K @ 4600MHz (at that time)

Aha! You both said something very important here, a beefy CPU, something in the 1000€ class is required to handle SLI. So not only you need to buy two cards, you also need a beefy CPU. Totally worth the money I'd say :p

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    In witcher 3's case, it would likely have been the lack of pcie bandwidth, that prevented you from getting more than 95 fps. It varies a great deal how much pcie bandwidth a game uses, but witcher 3 uses alot in sli, and you would only have had 8 pcie lanes for each gpu, where as cpu's with more pcie lanes will give each gpu 16 lanes. People neglicate how much that matters, but it is really important for sli.

It could also be lack of bandwidth on the ram, as witcher 3 is also very sensitive to that - what ram and setting were you using for them ?

10. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Also Gsync.

Gsync can limit sli gpu usage in some cases, I found it was a big problem is Witcher 3 and mass effect andromeda.

Netherwind likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    That's only in conjunction with TAA - in witcher 3 you must disable the ingame AA, and use fxaa through the nvidia control panel instead, then you will still get perfect scaling with g-sync :)

12. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Did that, Happened with Andromeda too. Its an old issue, TAA effects pretty much all sli games I tried Siege etc. But some didnt play well with gsync regardless of settings. BF1 did it too but that was to do with Gsync and the GFE overlay iirc

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, gotta have GFE overlay disabled, or better yet, GFE uninstalled altogether :p

The reason TAA affects sli performance as much as it does, is that it increases the traffic over the pcie bus alot, as the gpu's need to communicate previous frame info to the other gpu in order for TAA to work, which significantly slows down the sli process.

Fortunately TAA is something i can easily live without, as i don't like how much it blurs everything.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've heard about the lane thing and CPUs like Skylake-X took care of that problem but they are so very expensive.

I have 16GB of Corsair DDR4 2666MHz (in XMP mode).

I had no idea this was an issue :eek:

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's actually been possible to get full 16 gen 3 lanes in sli since 2013 - the old 4930k i have was the first one to have 40 gen 3 lanes :)

But yeah, sli has always been full of quirks, but new techs making use of previous frame data (temporal anti aliasing for example) along with g-sync, sure has made it even more quirky... but working around those quirks, and you can still get near perfect scaling in alot of games... though sadly asscreed origins bugs out completely when trying to use sli despite giving perfect scaling.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hehe I meant that one as an example :) But the big CPUs always seemed to favor SLI.

17. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Anyone thought about fps affecting the length of the day/night cycle in the game or any game? I'm not sure but it seems like the days and nights last longer in ACO when my fps is very low like around 20 fps average. It's that low because I was experimenting with setting the in game resolution scaling to 200% to see how it improves graphics with everything else maxed.

Then when I put the resolution scaling back to 100-120% maybe I notice the day/night cycle speeds up to normal, I think. I haven't timed it yet, but it seems to make difference. I prefer a longer day but that's beside the point. It's not a big deal, was just curious if day/night cycles can run independent of your fps or if the cycle speed as you notice it in real time is affected by fps.

18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    You guys heard about the next AC taking place in ancient Greece? I wonder if they take some inspiration from Troja, the journeys of Odysseus or Clash of the Titans. This could be epic.

19. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    So I've just got the game as it was on a weekend deal on steam and I'm loving it so far seeing its basically Witcher 3 in ancient Egypt ( a setting which I always found to be very interesting and romantic ) but I'm a bit puzzled by the gear in the game. For example some weapons are of a better "quality" than what I might be using but the one I have might have a higher dps so should I always aim for high dps etc. or does the quality level make a difference too ? What about rarity ? I know the more rare items come with additional modifiers like increased critical chance or melee/ranged damage resistance and so on so is it worth holding on to these sort of modifiers ?

Also throwing a potential controversial opinion out there but I wish the series would ditch all this Animus nonsense, I struggle to see the purpose of trying to anchor the story to the present or not too distant future world and personally I find that stuff just distracting.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  20. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Yeah those Animus story sections are totally boring in AC Origins, but so far they're not overdone imo.

I would def suggest trying to get golden gear with modifiers you like. I always go for:
    - healing on kill (sword)
    - bleeding on hit (sword)
    - fire resistance (shield)
    - Ranged Resistance (shield)
    - healing on block (shield)

I stay away from CURSED weapons (you have lower health points) or weapons that give POISON damage, resulting in poisoneous corpses lying around. Can kill an entire street full of civilians and i'm not sure it would be something an Assassin would risk. ;)

Repo Man likes this.