Retro review: Core i7 2600K Tested in 2018 - Time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    me too ...

2. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    An excellent review. I would stress these conclusions: "if you bought a Core i7 2600K back in the days, it probably has been the best investment for a PC you could have possibly made."; "the CPU still is a very capable one"; "The Core i7 2600K will still get the job done and works fine for gaming";)

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I honestly wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed that out. But speaking of avatars, are you by chance a fan of Be'lakor? :p

airbud7 likes this.
  4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I wasn't going to quote him at first. :p

cowie likes this.

5. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    This review comes at a really interesting time as I'm actually upgrading my 2600k at the end of the month to a 8700k. My 2600k has been a superb chipset and only until recently have I decided to make the jump. It's been a sufficient workhorse surviving the GPU upgrades which have been alot more frequent from a 7970 to a 295x2 to a 1080ti seahawk x. Agreeing with others in the fact it has been overclocked for a relatively long time at 4.8ghz with memory at stock 1600mhz. 3D Mark scores on Fire Strike Standard on the 1080ti have been just under 18000 which have been more than sufficient. The Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 board has been a beaut and literally hasn't given me any problems for the last 8 years, hence I will be moving on to the Maximus X Hero. Thanks for the great review and I think this has solidified my decision :)

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yep, love em. They are writing their next album now, can't wait to see what they do - I loved vessels.

Honestly it's the perfect time for this article with Ryzen + 6 core parts from Intel coming out. It's like the first time in years CPU's really feel like they are moving forward. Hopefully the trend continues now that AMD is clearly back in it again.

fantaskarsef, cowie and Angantyr like this.
  7. Yttersta

Yttersta Member

GPU:
    Some
    Seriously you took a cpu sku that had 90% rates of reaching 4.6GHz and can run 2133 / 2400MHz RAM just fine and reviewed it in stock its configuration with 1333MHz ram.

I still have my 2700k running 2400MHz ram and 4.7GHz after all these years in a friend's machine. Still have 2 sata 3 ports, which is good enough for 2 SSDs and requires only fair cooling for that amount of overclock and without the stupidity of the requirement that is delidding.

I disliked this review.

kroks likes this.
  8. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Present! Still running a 4.5GHz 2600K which suffers a bit in some games where it even reaches 91/92 degrees but i never put too much time into optimizing my oc, i was pretty satisfied with this performance, especially with the crappy cooler i'm using.

9. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Is it stock clock? Well, Sandy Bridge were coming significantly underclocked. They can easily work at 40% higher clock at one click. There is no point to compare them on a stock clock. Nobody's using them at stock clock.

10. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Still running my 2600k at 4.4ghz with 16gb 2133 DDR3. Not upgrading for as long as is possible. It does everything i need. I also feel, in my years of building PC's, the 2600k was the best investment in a cpu i ever made. The longevity of it is astonishing in "PC" years.

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    good stuff hh,think im gonna hold onto this 3770k a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit longer

12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Post #23 and #53 respectively in previous pages:

And quote from the Conclusion of the article(first paragraph):

"Our H67 motherboard refused to tweak whatsoever BTW. We'll try and update this article with OC results as we're trying to get a P67/Z68 motherboard for further testing."

:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had that chip running at 4.5ghz with HT enabled with zero issues.....until the motherboard crapped out. If I remember correctly, I think I even told you I thought the motherboard was faulty. If you stick it on a P67, Z68 or another Z77 board, it should have no issue getting back to 4.5ghz with proper cooling. Just don't use an ASRock Z77 Extreme4.....lol

airbud7 likes this.
  14. Jacku62

Jacku62 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 690
    Apparently, I'm one of the lucky ones to have reached more than 4.5ghz on these chips. A budget build with a 2600k, I could see a reason to jump ship. With the right equipment, these chips are still beast..

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In Vermintide 2 I do use guru3d Tag, as there tags are based on steam group membership... I think it is good advertising :D

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I love mine 2500k. It just keeps on delivering frames with nice OC. Probably the best consumer CPU, considering price, performance and how long it lasts.

Hope we will see some breakthrough in CPU performance with Zen2 and Intel upcoming Cannonlake.
    There no any CPU/Arc that came close to what Sandy Bridge offered. Zen has yet to proof itself.

17. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I'm rocking an AMD Phenom II X4 955 (non-B.E 95watt rev. c3.), Intel Core i7 3770K, Intel Core i7 5960X, Intel Core i7 6900K and a AMD Ryzen 7 1700X and personally I am still very surprised how the old Phenom II holds up in 1440p gaming, I would have though it would be a much larger bottleneck than it' actually is.

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i m still on a i i7 990x (does not reach 4ghz stable, like 3.8max) on x58, and i m thinking to upgrade now just because i changed country and i do not want to unbuild the water cooling and pay a lot of transport to move all the pieces.

19. snagar

snagar Guest

GPU:
    G8800 640M
    What a great article,Exactly what I wanted to read for a long time.
    I currently have the Core i7 2600k and thinking to upgrade to the latest 8700K (as of this writing).
    Although this review proves that Intel done mediocre work in pushing the CPU envelop since Sandy Bridge, it might be time to say goodby to my old chip-set and upgrade to the new ones.

Thank you Guru3D for such review, maybe you should consider some more in other areas too.
    Cheers

airbud7, sverek and Hilbert Hagedoorn like this.
  20. BadAssMusician

BadAssMusician Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EGPU
    Good review! But regardless whether you have a locked board or no, I'd rather compare overclocked results because it's seems to be the best case scenario and give the 2600K a fighting chance against the 8700K.

I managed to get mine to 4.65 GHz Stable for some reason. I think I hit the silicon lottery with this and it was a second hand CPU and a second Asus P8P67M mATX Board.

Would like it if you can just go grab a P67, Z68, Z77 boards.