PC issues, desktop crashes, general slowdown... "taskhostw.exe"

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by B.B., Mar 19, 2018.

1. B.B.

B.B. Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1060 6gb
    Hi there,
    Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong forum section but I couldn't see the appropriate one.

Right then, so, my PC has been having issues for the last few days and I can't figure out where.

Problems are general sluggish'ness (even opening browsers take that bit longer to open), start up is slower than normal, feels about twice as long. Desktop crashing, most games crash on opening or after a minute or 2.

I've ran several tests and they come up strange. The 'perfmon /report' lists it being high cpu usage "Process taskhostw.exe [ProcessId: 12852] has a high CPU consumption of 98.0%."

I've searched online but it's been pointless advice and on top of that, it's all regarding taskhost.exe... my problem says taskhostW.exe, which I can find nothing on.
    A dxdiag still doesn't show anything either. (Tried to post it but forums said it was too long)

I look at my task manager and there is nothing listed, the CPU usage is normal as always... it's as if there's a ghost program running at high load I can't find.

Suggestions welcome... please anything, because this is driving me mad

System:
    CPU: Intel 7600k
    GPU: Asus 970 GTX
    MoBo: Asus B250f
    RAM: 16gb Corsair (4x4)

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Try a fresh install on a spare drive to see if it's a software issue.

3. B.B.

B.B. Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1060 6gb
    Sorry, I have some questions... what sort of install?
    My OS?
    Shall I format my boot drive before I reinstall? Or a Mirror?
    I've never had to do that before, is there a guide you could refer me to please?

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Install windows OS on another harddrive(not your main one)

5. B.B.

B.B. Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1060 6gb
    Did a clean windows install, same issue again.

I'm guessing that would of given the same results if I used another drive yet? I mean, nothing is telling me the hard drive was the problem.

Also ran a Whysoslow... and this came up "The highest measured SM BIOS interrupt or other stall was 156 microseconds. This is considered poor behavior. Your system may have difficulty handling multimedia in real-time and may be subject to unexpected stutters and unresponsive behavior."

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    What OS are you using? You do know Windows 10 will lock up if you use third party anti virus? You using the CPU for graphics?

7. B.B.

B.B. Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1060 6gb
    Using windows 10.

I have norton, but even with this clean install it's still saying my cpu load is at 98+%.

I don't know what you mean by using the cpu for graphics... you mean using it's on board graphics instead of the gpu? No, I'm using the gpu.

8. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    There's your issue Norton, get ride of it. Problem solved

HK-1 likes this.
  9. B.B.

B.B. Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1060 6gb
    I doubt that, because as I just said... It's gone after the clean install and it's the same issue.

Besides, Norton never takes anywhere near a 98% load.
    that's stress test numbers.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    HK-1 likes this.

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Norton is the Biggest resource hog there is, I give you the answer you don't wanna hear it good luck! Again, search "windows 10 removes all third party anti virus".