AMD Ryzen 3000: Globalfoundries expects 5.0 GHz in the 7nm process

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BetA, Embra, airbud7 and 1 other person like this.
  2. george1976

george1976 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    Bring it on!!
    Now please :)

3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    My next upgrade..... Can't wait :cool:

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If this does truely happen, it will more or less eliminate any lead intel had in terms of performance.

Silva likes this.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This 7nm node should also be a boon for Navi. The 7nm node is going to be make or break for AMD staying competitive with Intel and Nvidia. Its good to see things are going well. If this works out like AMD expects my 1800x will be getting swapped out.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    That would be a pretty sweet deal indeed. Is Zen2 anticipated to hit the markets in 2019?

7. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    lets not forget that Intel will be developing their architectures too, a 5.0ghz Ryzen 3xxx would be fantastic, but i can't help but think Intel would be touching on higher clocks still.

personally i am really excited about the potential of a 5.0ghz Ryzen, the better these chips become the harder Intel has to work, we all win as consumers.

Maddness and Silva like this.
  8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Simply soldering K skews would get them a decent bump. I am really looking forward to a CPU performance war, like the 939 days, that was pretty cool.

Silva likes this.
  9. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    40% increase at 5ghz or at same clock speed as Ryzen 2000? That's a huge difference.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Wow that would be something! I might just hold-off then another year.Go Amd!!!

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ryzen at 5 GHz? Shut up and take my money :p

GSDragoon, fantaskarsef and Silva like this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel chips can do 5GHz on 14nm already. What do you think they will do on better processes?

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah Intel will obviously improve as well. We should see actual competition either way and that's important.

14. Nebula

Nebula Guest

GPU:
    R9 280X 3GB
    You're right, when you say that Intel is gonna up the clocks too, but you have to consider the die shrink, so we could get 12-16 cores with 4,7-5GHz with Zen 2. ^^

AsiJu likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes IIRC from the AMD roadmap. This year Zen+ and Zen 2 the next.

16. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    Everyone, get your camera ready!

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What a bad news. Now Zen+ has to clock well and keep stable at 4.35GHz as shown otherwise I can just wait till 2019Q1.
    Well, cash can be transferred to other things.

I mean, If Zen+ clocks on 4.3GHz and Zen 2 does 4.8GHz, it is already 11.6% boost just from clock. Add all improvements to architecture... and I see at least 20% boost in total.
    WTF?!? Zen 1 came year ago. Zen+ now brings like 16% max improvement. That's Zen 2 being 40% faster than Zen 1. And we are in the middle, now knowing THIS!!!
    And it is apparent, that After Zen 2 there will be just IPC and energy efficiency improvement, as clock boost will not be as huge as this.

Zen 2 with that clock is going to last for quite a lot of years. Something like Sandy.

This is like one news I did not want to read.

Embra likes this.
  18. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    I learned in some posting here that when a foundry says Performance it doesn't related to CPU performance in any way shape or form, which is why 1Ghz isn't 40% of 4Ghz... and yet the claim is still 40% better performance.

Performance of what exactly?

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD already confirmed that Zen2 design is complete, now they are getting it to run properly on 7nm. 2019Q1 was original schedule. May happen even in 2018Q4.
    They usually mean Perf/watt. Mostly statements say 10% higher clock or 25% lower power consumption. And often they count are based performance too. Smaller transistors allow to add another CPU core into same area.
    Then press gets it and does some mambo jumbo and spits bad numbers. One has to read original statement and apply it to targeted technology. With Ryzen, AMD is not going to deliver AM4 12C/24T, so area efficiency is meaningless, unless there is cost reduction or it allows higher clock by lowering density (leakage) of smaller transistors.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  20. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    My friend, Zen 1 goes to 4.1Ghz binned. a 235 MHZ max boost increase isn't 16% performance increase from zen to zen+....it's 5.7%. Maybe you typo a 1 in there, i dunno.

A proper 16% performance boost to Zen+ is what I was hoping for, but supposedly I was being very naive in thinking it was possible.

One thing peoples should keep in mind is that GloFlow 7nm is some what comparable to Intel's 10nm, which Intel has good experience with. There is a lot of complaining going on regarding how long it's taken Intel to produce 10nm is ridiculous. There was no market for it so why release it? The 10nm product we will get from Intel in the near future will be a better product than if Intel released 10nm a years ago. The now 10nm will be more refined and optimized and in the end, a better product.

Personally I bought AMD this time around. I don't mind saving $ on cpu's.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018