The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I did enjoy the game, and actually consider it one of the best games in recent memory. I bought all the DLC as well, so CDPR definitely profited from me.

But I am not going to tolerate unreasonable downgrades just for platform parity. So if they do it a second time, I will not support them again.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    CDPR is a great developer no doubt, but what they did with the downgrade is reprehensible, because they lied about it repeatedly and only after mounting pressure did they release a statement about it which confirmed everything anyone with sense had already known. I think you underestimate how big the blowback was from this (it was widely covered by the gaming media), mostly because of the attempted cover up, and the fact that CDPR is (or was) a developer with impeccable PC credentials that never downgraded anything and actually improved the aesthetics and quality of their games through the "Enhanced Edition" patches.

Yes, some of the downgrades are understandable in terms of achieving a certain level of performance on as many systems as possible. I have no issue with those downgrades, because they were necessary. However, I do take issue with the forced downgrades concerning artificial platform parity.

Anyway, this is my last post on this subject. Playing with the HD 4.8 mod just brought back some feeling as to how much more magnificent the game could have potentially been.

3. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    It was a vertical slice, misleading, but it wasn't the game.

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Finally got around to playing the expansion packs, and holy crap! It's like getting two brand new games! This game is a true masterpiece, or what I call a grown up version of Zelda. No dis-respect to Ocarina of Time, that game was incredible.

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    CD Projekt is the only company I'd pre-order a game from, from the trust they've earned with the Witcher 3 and it's DLCs. For the price we paid for the DLCs, and what we got - some companies could really learn a thing or two.

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    *Cough* EA *Cough*

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    CD Projekt is great.They'll release a game when it's done.

8. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Is there anything I can tweak to improve water (and perhaps grass) in this game?
    I’m on my 2nd playthrough and currently using HD Reworked Project and STLM mods.

9. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    The mod you have improves water quality (not the tessellated one) drastically, adding SSR, just make sure to have Blood and Wine installed, otherwise it won't work properly:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4784/40626245682_1c58ca6206_o.png

Didn't you notice? :D

Of course it is not as beautiful as, for example, AC Origins' water, but it's much better than the vanilla version. Regarding the grass you can improve its LOD and density, but not much more than that.

Read here to get every info about the tweaks: https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/g...-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

10. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Cheers for the reply, sertopico.
    So.. water improvement (SSR) from HD Reworked Project is as far as it can go, it seems.
    With regards to grass, I’ll check out the GeForce.com article you linked.

11. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    No prob. ;)

As far as I know, that is the only good mod that gives a decent look to the water. Anyway Witcher 3's tessellalted water is not bad per se, they just chose a wrong colour palette in my opinion, making everything look way too dark and muddy.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Heh, this is the best mod for grass:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1545/?tab=description

Difference with this mod is massive.

13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    What does it do specifically? From the description it's not that clear. Does it make it more dense? What's the framerate hit? As far as I remember, improving grass distance and density is one of the most taxing tweaks.

14. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Without this mod i don't play W3. Here is what it does:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Wow, that's a day/night difference. What's the catch? :D

16. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    The Witcher 3 in Chinese.. that’s unique. :thumbs up:

17. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    By any chance, have you guys played Horizon Zero Dawn ?
    Grass (and HDR implementation) in that game is amazing. It’s just amazing what a talented/skilled developer can do with a fixed hardware.
    I wish Witcher 3 on much powerful hardware (PC) to at least produce similar quality.

18. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    This has nothing to do with fixed hardware or more powerful hardware. It's how much effort you put into your foliage, meshes/textures. Btw, Blood and Wine has much better looking grass. With that grass mod W3 looks way better.
    HZD grass looks beautiful but non-organic.

My grass is the best :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I think you misunderstood my post above. With regards to fixed hardware/platform and incredible level of optimization, I was referring to “overall” visual quality of HZD, not just grass.
    Speaking of overall visual quality, HZD is amazing. And yes, grass in HZD looks better than Witcher 3, too.

20. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    No i did not misunderstood you. I'm trying to explain you that this is about design choice and amount of effort, not about fixed hardware. Also B&W grass looks much better then the main game, because they designed it better.
    HZD is more pleasing to the eye, but HZD is less demanding game. For example foliage in Witcher 3 is 3-4 times more dense, and LoD is less aggressive. In HZD everything is covered with fog in the distance because of aggressive LoD.
    And again, Witcher 3 foliage is much more organic.