Tweakers Get Coffee Lake Procs Going on Series 200 and even 100 Chipset Motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 likes this.
  2. AMDfan

AMDfan Guest

GPU:
    280X
    AMD confirmed that they will support AM4 for about 4 too 5 years.... Ryzen was the first, Ryzen 3 will be the last.

Intel will never change, and still the majority of the people will keep on buying Intel. Why??? Because of the higher clock speeds??? Where is the sanity of most people, Intel is over charching for their stuff, AMD gives enough power fir 90% of the people at a more friendly price.

Silva likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Both AMD's clock speeds and Intel's lies are catching up with Intel at a remarkable speed!

4. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    I remember when you could swap an Intel cpu for AMD cpu no problems lol socket 7 and maybe socket 370 too ahh simpler times lol

Silva likes this.

5. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    for every new CPU they sell Intel want to also sell a south bridge...Double dipping :p

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Pure and simple Intel greed

Silva likes this.
  7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This is good news though, however I think that the 100/200 serier is limited to 4 cores. That's most probably why we don't see the new 6 core i5 running. But hey nothing is impossible so let's give it time and see how this play out.

8. Forebode

Forebode Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G 1530/8k
    I disagree. It's a business. Previously to Ryzen they effectively had no real competition for awhile. They could trickle advancements and not change the price. The smaller the process got, the more expensive it is to make. You can't compare their pricing to Ryzen pricing. Ryzen's used a completely different process which yields a greater amount of chips in the end.

I'd back away from the pricing subject and aim at why doesn't AMD and Intel solder all their chips? avoid using the tim.. I understand it's gettign better and better and makes the chip less expensive (by how much?, 5 bucks? just do it, add the $5)

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's just sped up obsolescence for the purpose of profit.

10. QBI

QBI Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    If core count was the only limitation we would be seeing older LGA1151 CPUs running on 300 series chipset boards... but we don't. So yes, I'll stick with Intel greed.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I KNEW this was going to happen. Many people said this was never going to work.

However, I do have my doubts that we're going to see anything better than an i3. Though Coffee Lake architecturally isn't really any different than KL, I don't recall there being any 6-core KL for socket 1151. So, I don't think the motherboards would recognize such a chip.

12. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    "Compare that to AMD, Zen 9 and even Zen 2.0 will very likely work on the current X370 motherboards."

Uhm... Wouldn't that be Zen +? or something close?

I don't know for sure, but the whole 300 series chipset was a mess from the beginning. First there's only z370 boards for months, we're only now seeing "leaks" of h370, B360. Then there's the whole LGA 1151 socket which... Made no sense at all. At least change the socket? Or give it a new gimmick name, like AM3+, AM2+ or whatever?
    And the fact that people are managing to make it work with older chipsets is only getting worser... Maybe a 4/8 core/thread limitation? Or maybe under peak load on a 6 core things get more intense? Then again this doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you have excellent power circuits for overcloking... Maybe some boards wouldn't be able to handle the current for a full 6 core usage?

13. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Sorry, but single ryzen chip is 8 cores and prior to ryzent here was hardly something with more cores available except Xeon server chips so your point is wrong here, if something Intel 14nm should make a bit smaler transistors giving them advantage in chip size and potential Yields.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh they were available. Just not with the mainstream platform, you had to pay extra. Lots of extra.

15. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    If you dont count server cpus, only available more than 8 core cpu in HEDT was Broadwell-E based Core i7-6950X.
    Anything else come after Ryzen launch.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Nope, there were 6 and 8 core Intel consumer CPUs available long before Ryzen came along, it's just that they were outrageously priced (e.g., $1050 for a 6900K). What Ryzen did was make 8-core CPUs more affordable. Note that this is the sole reason why I switched to Ryzen (I really wanted a octa-core CPU for grid computing, but couldn't stomach Intel's prices).

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Wait I thought your Threadripper build was for grid computing. So you have a TR and a Ryzen 7 for grid computing?

18. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Forebode points was about AMD having much better yields, but thats mostly only in case of AMD using multiple dies per CPU -> Threadripper and Epyc.
    Otherwise Intel using similar 14nm chips and should have similar yields per square mm or even have small advantage due to a bit smaler transistors compared to GloFo 14nm process.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I don't know why these news stories keep popping up; 4core and less are relatively simple to get working.

6 core is an entirely different story which is why not a single person out there has gotten it working.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes. I use all my PCs for grid computing, including my Threadripper and Ryzen 7 systems. Specifically, my TR system is a computing and mining rig, while my R7 system is my computing and gaming rig. I built them to be sister systems (both use the same case and both are water-cooled).

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.