+Dead as a Door Nail

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kwok, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Kwok

Kwok Guest

GPU:
    1x GTX1080
    I need some Geek Help from the GURU's.
    Its been awhile since I had any Hardware problems. I tend to build and forget or just clean fan filters.
    I built this rig a few years ago and its been great, but now it is dead as a door nail. There were no warning signs. I pushed the power button and got a little whimper from the case fans, then nothing. After that, not even the case fans would move. I opened up and found that the Mobo lights were still on, but nothing else working.
    Lucky enough I have another computer for back up and it has an outstanding Power supply so I tried changing them out. No luck with that. Same thing. Mobo power and OC lights come on, but no boot up.
    I have had dead mother boards before. Its my suspicion that its the mobo, but I would like other opinions since we have all had Hardware problems here on the Guru 3D.
    Now I know that these boards are full of members with plenty of opinions (kekek), puhleeze join in. Thanks, in advance.

NZXT Source 530 case---ToughPower Grand Platinum 1200---MSI Z97 Gaming 7--- I7-4790DevCan@4.5ghz
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8gigs at 1866---Noc NH-D15S---2xMSI GTX970---Asus Combo Drive---2tb Seagate FireCuda -- Logitech Z2300 2.1 sound system, Asus PB328Q 32" @ 2560x1440---OS Windows 10 pro

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I suggest you take everything out of the case and try powering board on with just CPU and memory. If nothing, remove CPU and see if it does a post error.

Likely board is bad if you've tried a new PSU and you've made sure nothing is shorting out inside the case.

3. Kwok

Kwok Guest

GPU:
    1x GTX1080
    Thanks Agent A01, I knew there were some friendly Gurus hiding about somewhere. I guess I will be doing some shopping today. I have had dead boards in the past. Its a way of life. A passing of sorts. One generation to the next.

4. Kwok

Kwok Guest

GPU:
    1x GTX1080
    Ended up buying a Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Ultimate, I5 8600k, some Gskill D4 3200 16gig. I gave up searching for a Z97 board as all I could find new was around $350 for a replacement. So now I have the in between Mobo for the inbetween Covfeefee Intel CPU. Dayam lucky I didn't have to replace a GPU.