Kingdom Come: Deliverance is now available on GOG

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Warhorse Studios and GOG placed Kingdom Come: Deliverance to be available on GOG and that means it is DRM-free, the game does not require any activation or online connection in order to be played.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Sometimes it feels like GOG is the store everybody loves but nobody uses...

TheDeeGee and sammarbella like this.
  3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    So true... :(

If GOG had the same games Steam has on his store thing will be different.

4. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Perhaps they will continue adding games like this and eventually add competition to steam etc....

5. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    Is it a Good Old Game already? :D

6. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    I use GOG whenever I can.
    Every game is DRM FREE.
    GOG has lots of new releases in the store.
    Great service and really great return policy. Much better than steams.
    30 days in most cases.

7. Namtrooper

Namtrooper Member

GPU:
    1080TI
    If they patch it. I will come. Wait that doesn't sound right.

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    GOG dropped the 'Good Old Games' moniker years ago, it's just 'Good Old Greed' now and stands for a cesspool of shovel ware and indie crap with the odd over priced token AAA or BBB game thrown in :D

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I think that GOG is vastly underrated. My opinion of the two services is as follows:

GOG has an enormous number of older games that you cannot find on Steam, at all--I was surprised when I compared the two at length once, thinking they were more or less equal in that regard. It's not even close, really, when it comes to old classics, etc. After all, GoG is "Good Old Games," eh? In addition to all GOG games being DRM-free (which only happens on Steam when the game dev specifies it), GOG regularly updates its game files all the way to Win10 compatibility for most of their older games--I should say *all* of their older games for which it is possible to do so), and GOG provides the buyer with his own installable game copy--which Steam does not do at all. Any game these days that you cannot find on GOG isn't there for one reason only--the publisher/developer wants DRM of some kind applied through the Steam engine for the distribution of his game. GOG now offers a Steamworks-like (but DRM-free) interface for people who want it--Galaxy came out of beta many months back--and games are now updated through the Galaxy interface by developers equally as as fast as it is done through Steamworks--I compared my updates for Divinity :OS 2 through GOG to the speed of the updates applied through Steamworks--and through Galaxy GOG was just as fast as Steam--I was surprised and pleased to see that! Indeed, I have an online library these days of ~277 Gog games; 55 Steamworks titles (many of which are uninstalled now because I was able to buy the DRM-free version from GOG for a song and a dance in their many sales), and about 28 through Origin (because EA refuses to sell some of its older content anywhere else.) I just find the option of choice of installers (manual or Galaxy) and the DRM-free certification for all their games, and the inclusion of an installable copy for each game you buy to be vastly superior to Steam. I use Galaxy to update my games these days (simply because it is so much faster than GOG's older manual method--which some people still use for some reason), but I run them from the game executable, exclusively, bypassing Galaxy when playing the game. Pretty nice, and you can't do that with Steam if the game requires Steam DRM in order to run.

Last but not least, did I mention how superior GOG's refund system works? You have a month during which GOG will refund your money (never used it myself...;)) Steam gives you *two hours*. Not even comparable. I also want to throw in a word for their customer service--GOG's has been outstanding, I've found. For instance, I have the old "Orange Box" collection of HL2 games--it's Valve's Game so I guess it's OK if they want to keep it a Steam exclusive. But Valve has jiggered the files for the HL2 collection so that you *cannot* install each of the games to its own separate directory location--you can install most of them separately, but for one or two Steamworks picks the directory and will not let you deviate--because they've merged the game files for the package. Long story short, I wrote Steam support asking them how to install all of the games to their own separate locations--on separate drives is what I wanted. Steam support got back to me with the news that "not all of our games will allow installation to user-mandated drive locations"--which is lousy, I think, but what I expected after spending half a day trying to install a couple of those games to a drive other than my "D:\" partition, etc. Funny thing is, before I bought the Orange Box I had previously bought *all* of the OB games separately, and they all installed to their own locations, so I knew it was possible--just that Valve didn't want to do it. (I could talk about how CDPR owns GOG and yet sells their games on a variety of distribution services--but Valve won't do that with HL.)

Basically at this point I'm trying to divest myself of Steam titles and shift them all to GOG, because I want those installable game copies! I don't want a game "license"--I want my own installable copy, too, and Gog provides it, free and clear of any DRM. Honestly, it makes no difference to me what distribution services people choose, of course...;) I just wanted to chime in with my own opinion of GOG...!

BuildeR2 and airbud7 like this.
  10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Ignorance to the max. GOG has so many games that Steam does not have, and actually are updated/patched to work on even Windows 10. And not to mention zero DRM. I rebought Crysis and Crysis Warhead on GOG from my steam version for 0 DRM and dont have to mess with the activation limit anymore. Its a beautiful thing.

11. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Probably GOG has most of the crap Steam didn't deem fit for their platform, ever thought of that?

GOG used to be great for those games you loved playing on your 386 and 486 all those years ago, I signed up as soon as they went live, but over the years they've had less 'Good Old Games' and shovelled on more Indie crap, plus those silly 'movies' for god's sake and now that 'In Dev' crap, and they don't update games any where near as fast as on steam and quite a few games still have bugs that have never been fixed.

They even release games with stuff missing but they never mention that, Mafia had all the licensed music missing so the game is pretty dull without the music, nice thread here on GOG about various game issues: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/g...games_incomplete_version_variations_etc/page1

Don't be 'ignorant' of GOG's failings!!

12. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Seems like you're the one that's being ignorant, and pushing an agenda.

GOG is a great service.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Same issue for Mafia on steam. Keep the ignorance within yourself.
    Steam doesnt update games, devs do. Steam delivers the updates. Same goes for GOG.
    How can you be this dense with a 1 sided narrow minded driven agenda against GOG.

14. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Indeed, the quality control of steam is REALLY great. When was the last time some shovelware showed up there? NEVER!

All games on steam are AAAAAAA-quality, that's for sure. Gog also has way more games than steam, but they're all the crap you're talking about. Crappy games like Kingdom come, Witcher series, Anno series, Larian's Divinity series, Baldur's Gate, you know? Crap like that. I mean, who plays those?

That's why I only buy on steam. Great quality control, not the crap things like gog greenlight or gog direct. Whatever game you buy on steam, 1000% chance it's going to be great!

lucidus likes this.
  15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Cannot agree more. I've used Steam since the Orange Box came out and forced Steam upon me, but since finding GOG I always buy from them if possible. I hate the idea of DRM and will cling to the days of offline install, click .exe and play for as long as possible. When I buy a game I want to own it! In 2017 I bought 4 games on Steam, but nearly 40 on GOG. I'm actually playing through the GOG version of Fallout Tactics with the Redux mod right now. :)

16. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    GOG 'used' to be good when it first started, but now it's just piling on more indie crap to make it look 'good' again! I mean, when will GOG get all the latest Ubi/EA games then if its that good?

Say what you want, GOG is just another example of a good idea that's faded and become another 'me too' online store selling whatever it can to turn a profit.

17. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Huh? Where is this all perfect steam store you speak of? sorry gabe but i have never seen, there are tons of shitty games on steam

oh and it is steam greenlight :/

18. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    I'm thinking the sarcasm in his post went right over your head.

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Maybe so but if your not British do not try to be sarcastic you never get it right lol

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yep too many crap games on steam. 7672 games total released in 2017. the majority must be quite crap lol
    I think most people don't care about indie games or old games anyways but its all about choice and every client has crap games.

Passus likes this.