Possible memory leak in 4.4.2 with amd crossfirex?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Phantom3107, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

Hello.
    In december 2017 I installed a second GPU for crossfirex and since then I have some MSI AB hanging with strange memory usage. It looks like memory leak as I understand. For example - 1.8GB RAM usage without any screen capturing. It starts from few MB memory usage and gradually rising for 1.6+ GB in a few hours after that LCD G510 losing MSI AB plugin, data on OSD is not updating (except FPS and Frametime) and MSI AB window not opening from system tray with "Not enough memory" (or something like that) message.
    [​IMG]

I'm using MSI AB for hardware monitoring and capturing screenshots/video some times. Main monitoring on OSD like on picture and part of this data on LCD G510.
    [​IMG]

About PC:
    1) Core i5-3570K;
    2) Sapphire R9 270X 2GB *2 (Crossfirex);
    3) 4*4GB Samsung DDR3;
    4) Aerocool Strike-X 1100W PSU;
    5) Windows 10 Pro x64;
    6) MSI Afterburner 4.4.2 with RTSS 7.0.2.

I'm not sure in reason of this - MSI AB or GPU drivers? This did not happen to me with single R9 270X (Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Adrenalin 17.12.1 and older crimson drivers/Windows 10 Pro x64 Adrenalin 17.12.1) but its happening on Windows 10 with crossfirex and adrenalin 17.12.2/18.1.1/18.2.2/18.2.3. What can you advise?

P.S. Sorry for "google translate style" english :eek:

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

3. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

Ok, I will try disable all monitoring sensors then switch them on one by one and watch which setting provide to memory leak. It may be problem with some sensor or some setting (like combo string/graph, OSD customization, .jpg screenshot, system time, MJPG codec) can leads to memory leak too?

4. Unwinder

I'd assume that it is some sensor (more likely some monitoring related AMD ADL API call) since it seems to be specific to CF platforms only. But I cannot say for sure.
    BTW, you may use PerfCounter plugin to track own process memory usage directly from monitoring module, it will give you much more readable memory usage pattern while diagnosing the issue. To do it add the following performance counter in PerfCounter plugin:

[​IMG]

5. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

Hmm... should I use beta-version or switch on some checkbox in other settings tab to get access to PerfCounter settings? I have HDD monitoring via SMART.dll and PerfCounter.dll but not MSI AB own memory usage.
    [​IMG]

MSI AB 4.4.2 installed 23.12.2017 (dd/mm/yyyy) and update check tell that there are no updates.
    [​IMG]

6. Unwinder

Use search. Development betas are not intended to be visible to everyone, that's on purpose, I'd like to leave testing for experienced forum veterans and isolate betas from fake bugreports from newbies.

Phantom3107 likes this.
  7. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

Thanks. I understand that beta-versions not for all users and that was just question because I dont know from what version was that screenshot.

8. Unwinder

No problem, I just explained why development betas are invisible to update checking system.

9. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

So, memory leak providing by second GPU sensors when AMD Crossfirex enabled. It doesn't matter what GPU2 sensor I switch on - it provoke memory leak like 0.2-0.3MB/tick with 100ms polling period. When I use my monitoring settings like on screenshots in first message but with 100ms refresh rate - I have a 0.9-1MB/tick memory leak. No problem with cpu/hdd/gpu1 (main r9 270x)/gpu3 (Intel HD4000) sensors. With gpu2 sensors no problems too but only when crossfirex is disabled (over 30 minutes msi ab ram usage under 30MB).
    [​IMG]

Problem with amd drivers? While I was testing sensors in MSI AB, I noticed same memory leak (0.5MB/tick) with HWMonitor (started for check gpu's temperature on background)
    [​IMG]

Unwinder and RzrTrek like this.
  10. Unwinder

I'm afraid so.

Phantom3107 likes this.

11. Unwinder

BTW, if you're running CF config with ULPS enabled - try to disable it. Possibly the driver is leaking memory when polling "sleeping" GPU.

12. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

ULPS is enabled by default and I use MSI AB setting to disable it every time. Maybe I should disable ULPS in regedit without MSI AB?

13. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

A fast update in amd video driver maybe can cause memory leak. At night of March 6 to March 7 I installed 18.3.1 drivers via quick update and still had memory leak. 18.3.1 caused some graphics problems in World of Tanks, so I delete it using DDU in safe mode and install 18.2.1 and no memory leak since then. I dont know why earlier clean installations haven't effect, but in last days I see MSI AB RAM usage like 7-10MB stable for hours without app hanging.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
  14. Unwinder

Hehe, probably you just forgot to enable Crossfire after clean reinstall? )

15. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

no, crossfire enabled and works fine without memory leak.
    [​IMG]

16. THEAST

THEAST Guest

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Actually I am also facing the same problem. Afterburner regularly hangs with an "Out of memory" error and I have to manually kill the process from Task Manager and then reopen it. I am not sure when it started happening but it started somewhere around 2 months ago. I am on the 18.2.1 driver.

17. Unwinder

Actually read the thread.

18. Phantom3107

Phantom3107 Guest

To be honest, this is not the end of the problem. Sometimes memory leak starts again, sometimes I see OSD hang and "Out of memory" when trying to open MSI AB while no memory leak is detected (MSI AB uses 6-11 MB RAM without increasing). I just dont know what to do and still closing MSI AB via task manager when needed.

19. Unwinder

Pray for AMD to fix it in their driver.

20. arbys

arbys Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire R9 Fury
    You can report the bug to AMD @ http://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966

I guess that all you can do right now is to create a script that runs on startup and kill afterburner and rtss after X hours and restart it OR use Wattman?