Samsung Starts Volume Production of a 30.72-terabyte SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Improvements to tech should at least eventually lead to more TB sized SSD's if nothing else, still likely going to be really expensive but little by little traditional HDD's might start seeing gradual replacement if nothing else comes along in the meantime.

EDIT: One of these would still be sweet to have though. :p

3. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I highly doubt that and even the consumer 4TB are so ridiculously overpriced it ain't funny and 30TB SSD I beat well north of 20k
    And should read this https://www.backblaze.com/blog/seagate-60tb-ssd-36pb-storage-pod-next/

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I suppose it's to be expected, even the 256 GB models are still quite expensive though the speed advantage and other improvements over mechanical makes it a worthwhile upgrade and quite a bottleneck removal on modern systems for a variety of tasks. :)
    (Read and write speed but also less seek times and such.)

That was a interesting read too, good information and I really under-estimated the price range for enterprise hardware and it rises even more as storage size increases.
    (Which I did know but not quite to the extend I had thought, it ramps up by a lot more.)

Well nothing bad about having a storage HDD and a system SSD though a full HDD replacement is not happening anytime soon then.
    (Besides HDD sizes are also increasing year by year even if they can't match a SSD in terms of speed.)

I suppose HDD's were a bit like this initially too though, 10 - 20 MB of storage for a home computer though back then it was thought to be a lot but it costed a small fortune too.

5. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
  6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I had a upgraded 40MB HD in my 386 and it was awesome had so much storage space would never fill that up.

386SX likes this.
  7. Man, what i wouldn't give for 8 of these running raid 60 in our SAN.......talk about some blazing storage.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think if they come in at ~10K..that's not bad...double the storage and performance for the same price as the previous 15TB model.

9. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    So I buy 3 of these and then I download the whole internet. Give me a call if you want to have a copy. *lol*

Imagine you buy one of these ... you get the same effect as back then. Welcome to your flashback. ;-)

But honestly: If they at some time come down with the prices to "user-fiendly" levels ... why not? I think it will be the same like always: Let some years go by and you get this "over-1337-heavenly-tech" for 5,99 with taxes.
    A 256MB USB drive was 29,99 in my area at some time (early 2000`s or even earlier?), now you get a 64 to 128 GB model for that price. Probably it will not happen with THIS specific model, but it will happen.

Btw.: Am I the only one to notice: This SSD has more space than ANY other traditional HDD you may buy right now? I think 8 or 10 or 12 TB (somewhere in this range) is the current maximum for HDDs, no?