Busted S5

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by cowie, Dec 31, 2017.

1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok so after a few years of smashes and drops a simple slip off my bed hitting a hard floor its screen is messed up.
    glass does not look broken but at first I seen only half a screen now its just black

it still works with sound and I ghost called a few people yesterday so...
    wtf 199 to fix it but the poor thing can be brought for like 150 used or 300 new
    thing is I like it too much sure I can go get a new one but anyway mu question is can I just take out the sim card pop it in the new or used one and I will be good to go with my apps and stuff??

maybe just getting it registered with my carrier?
    or I will just take the freaken screen out of it and replace mine with it?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No, all your apps are on the phone itself, you might have some data backed up by Google backup that can be restored when logging into your Google account on the new phone, but more than likely you'll just have to start fresh with them all

Replacing the screen would be the only way to have everything as it is really, none of the backup solutions work properly unless you are running TWRP custom recovery, in which case you could create a Nandroid backup and restore it on the new phone (As long as they are identical model S5s)

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    sadly, repair Samsung smartphones is nowadays more expensive than iPhones.I charge aroud 80€ for a new screen for iPhone 6, and 180€ for a S6 .Go figure.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well that sucks but really this phone is no pussy it really been through a lot and has mostly business contact stuff on it
    I will get it fixed
    maybe it would be good to just get a used one or two and swap out everything if it happens again.
    the big reason I like this phone cus its pretty good around construction sites dust dirt and stuff
    Lately I have seen the newer phones with good case and plastic glass cover break from weak spills like the one that mine has taken 100 times

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    S5 is a good phone, I had one before my S7, gave it to my Dad and it's still going strong today

Plug it into your PC USB and you'll be able to at least copy/paste your media files from it for now

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    fudge
    not only did I bust it again today but 3 weeks ago too
    he said 120 only this time lol
    I will give him more if he glues it down right this time it basically came out the wrapper this go around

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Jeez I work in construction granted mostly inside and I've never busted a phone but I keep it on a clip on on my belt and wear a bluetooth ear piece so I only take it out on breaks.I have a S5 Neo.