Missing Adrenalin notification bar icon

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by sheppitydawg, Feb 11, 2018.

1. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    Hi,
    Pretty certain since the move to adrenalin (I am sure it was there before with all the crimson drivers) the small icon in the botton right notification bar is missing.
    It shows in the list of options in the customise tab but doesnt show the icon.
    If I launch the program it appears,just not at start up.
    Each recent driver update has been a clean install using DDU in safe mode and also ran CCleaner registry cleaner too.
    Windows 7 64bit MSI RX580.
    An annyoing niggle rather than massive issue,but if anyone knows a simple solution?

2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    press Win+R on your keyboard to open RUN COMMAND

Type : msconfig

Look for ''startup'' tab....
    -------------------------------------
    You will see list of programs that are enabled or disabled during startup....try
    -------------------------------------

roll back to your previous driver if the issue is not solved.

3. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    yep I also already see this behaviour but only when using Aeroglass :rolleyes:

4. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    Strangely there is no AMD software in the start up list.....which is now obviously the reason...any suggestions how to include it at start up as this should be default surely?

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    There's a toggle for this in the Radeon Settings. Personally I leave it off, since I can just right-click the desktop to get the "Open Radeon Settings" option.

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    I think it is a task

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler.

Look for STARTCN.

Enable it

Browse: X: Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\

Add (RadeonSettings.exe) to Task scheduler or Startup
    OR

May be driver is crashing

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    Looked for STARTCN in task manager but i cannot find anything referring to that,
    Unfortunately I never used Task manager before ,but found all the files in the folder you mention including STARTCN in the AMDfolder as described ,just not sure how to apply them to the task scheduler.

The settings exe works fine manually,its just not launching at startup once launched the icon is in the notification bar and fully functional.
    Appreciate your help all the same!!

8. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Same. Graphics profile choices, that are available by right clicking on system tray icon, can't be accessed though through Settings alone. Video profiles can.

9. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    which is why i want to rectify the issue....i dont have that option as the icon is absent.Toggling the system tray icon on or off (in the Radeon settings or in windows ) makes no difference for me.:(

10. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Since it's Windows 7, check customization of notification area - maybe you have your system icons set to off.

11. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    That was my first check,this is all since the Adrenalin update ,noticed a few crashes too actually...back to an earlier driver I think.

12. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Mia culpa, you said that in your OP.

RadeonSettings process, the one that 's also responsible for showing system notification area icon, starts with user logon by task "StartCN". This task will not be running permanently, so you can't see it in Task Manager, it executes, then quits.

You should check if you have such task: WinKey+R, type: taskschd.msc, hit enter.

13. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    No i dont have this task in task manager

14. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    If I import the StartCN html file from the AMD folder into task manager will this then launch the settings program at start up?

15. Shellar

Shellar Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    If you mean import into Task Scheduler (not task Manager) and StartCN.xml (not html) then - yes.
    No reboot needed, just re-login.

(Make sure you import into the root of Task Scheduler Library)

16. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    Thanks I shall try this,i appreciate your advice :)

17. sheppitydawg

sheppitydawg Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX580
    Just as an update for those who helped to resolve this issue I have the icon back again.
    I launched the settings panel (which makes the notification icon appear) and upgraded to the latest driver from the settings window.
    From this point on settings have launched at windows boot (as normal) ,somehow the settings must have been skewed
    The last upgrades i have done ,have been in safe mode and clean instals using DDU so perhaps this had an effect,i dont know.
    Irritating problem solved by itself.:)