BUG: Too many monitors causes Afterburner Remote Server 1.2.0 to display “access is denied”

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by ragesaq, Jan 28, 2018.

1. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    MSI Sea Hawk EK X 1070 8g
    I recently upgraded my computer to something that has a lot more hardware monitors (8700k has 12 threads for usage/clock/temp) as well as enabling the HWiNFO plugin and added about 18 more monitors there. This creates a problem with Afterburner Remote Server 1.2.0 (uses Afterburner shared memory) where the web page says:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    "); vertical-align: bottom; height: 10px;"><error>
    <message>Access is denied</message>
    </error>

If I lower the number of monitors by unchecking items to ~42 or 43 the problem goes away and ARS reports information properly. ARS hasn't been updated in a very long time and perhaps an update is required to correct this issue.

Thanks

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nick (remote server and remote apps developer) is offline for a few years now, I'm afraid that the applications are abandoned

3. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Hi. My hands are a bit tied on this. MSI contracted me to do initial development, but then lost interest in the project (maybe due to the management change at the time?). So although I wrote the source code for the remote server, Android app and iOS app, I don't own the rights to the products. I also don't have rights to the MSI store IDs without their permissions anyways. In fact, I notice now that the Afterburner Android app is even no longer in the play store (although the iTunes one is still there). I also wrote Command Center with the mobo team, but we had an official hand-off after the initial versions, whereby MSI took it internally. They have updated it a few times since. This never happened with the VGA team. Based on what I see in the store, seems their strategy may have changed now anyways.

I don't get the errors mentioned, but I only have 34 monitors. I'll see if I can add some via HWiNFO or other and try to reproduce. If the error is in the MSIAfterburner.NET.dll, perhaps I can resolve it. But if the error is from the remote server and/or Android/iOS app, then there is nothing I can do.

boogieman likes this.
  4. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:

5. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    stangowner you rock! Yeah, the HWiNFO plugin gives a ton of extra monitors so its pretty easy to max it out. I'm using the ARS software with a collectd script and graphite/grafana to log and visualize my systems performing for tuning/analysis purposes. The ARS software is great combined with the collectd script to pull the data down very quickly and grafana is an outstanding visualization program.
    I packaged it all up in a docker container with instructions here: https://github.com/ragesaq/gamergraf

6. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, I saw it. Looks nice! So you are just using the remote server directly and parsing the xml response I guess, right? Are you only using the one main mahm endpoint?

I'm thinking it's a memory page size issue, which might take a few to nail down. I'll reply back once I know for sure how to resolve it.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It's nice to see you back online, Nick. I was not aware that you transferred all copyrights to MSI and cannot modify those apps from your side. Yep, management in MSI VGA team changed at least 3 or 4 times since I started developing MSI AB and sadly none of those who were initially managing the project from that side are currently working there. So probably they either lost interest or (which is also possible) simply not aware that they own rights to modify remote/mobile apps internally. Let me contact them and ask if they are interested in modifying remote/mobile apps internally or probably wish to hire someone to modify it for them.

8. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    You too Alex. Ive just been busy with other developments....haha. So I dont game or overclock much anymore. Not enough time for both unfortunately.

Well, the arrangement was I keep msiafterburner.net.dll (which is not open source, but is free and open to community use and was agreed I would use for the remote server.....this is my personal development as you know). I keep the source code for the remote server and both mobile apps. But the remote sever and mobile app products are msi's, and hosted on their website, app store id's and have their company name/copyright. So I can't modify without their permission, and they can't modify without the source code. It's a stalemate situation until they have interest to move forward or redevelop something else from scratch.

9. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Yeah, using collectd's curl-xml plugin it parses the mahm data.

<Plugin curl_xml>
    <URL "http://$HOST_IP:$HOST_PORT/mahm">
    Host "$HOST"
    Instance "afterburner"
    User "MSIAfterburner"
    Password "$AFTERBURNER_PASSWORD"
    <XPath "/HardwareMonitor/HardwareMonitorEntries/HardwareMonitorEntry">
    InstanceFrom @srcName
    ValuesFrom @data
    Type "gauge"
    </XPath>
    </URL>
    </Plugin>

Which then spits it into graphite, a lightweight time series database that scales really well with lots of time series data. Collectd is also awesome because its super fast, I poll all this data every second and it uses almost no processing power on the collectd server or the afterburner client.

stangowner likes this.
  10. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    I was just putzing around in Grafana and I realized that I wasn't really tapping the power it had. I made a new calculated metric on my fan RPM graph that charted the difference between watercooling temp and air inlet temp, showing me the real delta-T, now I can tune my fan RPMs based on effectiveness. :)

The1 and stangowner like this.

11. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Any luck on finding out if this was an easier problem to solve with the afterburner dll?

12. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Yes, i found the issue. It is in the dll. I'm on business trip right now. I'll continue looking for a resolution when I get back this weekend.

13. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Sweet! Thats totally awesome.

14. ragesaq

ragesaq Member

GPU:
    Any luck getting some time to take a shot at fixing the issue?

15. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Yes, I'm past the issue. Give me a bit more time to do some further testing.

ragesaq likes this.

16. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU: