Geforce driver 390.77 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Robert84MK, Jan 29, 2018.

1. remicius

remicius Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Ti
    but yes,i wont buy two card again,that is for sure.....

2. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    is this driver better then 388.84. you guys did any comparison yet in games/bench?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It seems to me that our team of developers at work can get the approach from game developers - when users send reports with bugs or slow performance we should reply "It is Windows developers to blame. Their OS works bad with our program."

I am really envious toward game developers - their users always blame AMD and NVIDIA. What a nice and easy life.

HandR, dr_rus and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I don't understand why people are so sure that SLI/CF support is something for NV/AMD to implement in modern engines when it's been more than a couple of years now since this hasn't been the case.

ACO officially doesn't support SLI and I know for a fact that it's Ubisoft's job to make it work in their engine - and they just don't see the point.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    How well does SLI/Crossfire work in modern games? I know DX12 has a form of support for multi-GPU in the API and I'm guessing Vulkan might have something similar or the 1.1 update might see it introduced but for DX11.x and earlier I don't think it's as clear cut so it's up to both the game developers and the driver engineers to implement a robust scaling method.

I'm not sure how shaders and compute shaders in particular scale across multiple GPU's either, most newer games have several of these so some scaling is probably achievable but unlike these earlier titles AC:O does much, much more in compute.
    Even Wildlands or For Honor running newer versions of Anvil Next don't have anywhere near the same extent of compute shader usage from what I can see so I wonder if that could be one reason behind the games problematic multi-GPU support but it's nothing but a theory. :)
    The game even does LOD and culling through a compute shader, various resolves for anti-aliasing and a lot of other things I can't even understand, it's really impressive actually though it might complicate other things a bit too.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course the programmers could offer working multi-GPU implementations for their games / engines, if they'd invest enough time / money to do so.
    It just is not a sales argument to 90% of the PC gamers who use only a single GPU or even an APU, and 100% of the console or mobile gamers... that's why you won't see anybody paying a software engineer to get the job done.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    In Gears of War 4, MGPU support had pretty much 100% scaling for me if I downsampled from 4k, not so much at 1080p as I was held back by the CPU at that "low" resolution.

3D Mark Timespy scaled just as well, but I remember that SLI had to be enabled in the drivers, which to me suggests driver input is still needed in certain DX12 MPGU implementations.

As for AC:O, this is DX11 so this means it's a joint effort between developers and Nvidia/AMD is needed.
    I can't confirm this first hand as I don't have the game, but I have saw reports that it scales really well (suggesting the engine has SLI support) but has visual glitches, something that is usually alleviated with a new/fixed SLI profile.

Of course, it might not be the case in this scenario, but I felt the driver team could be a bit clearer.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    What a surprise, a non-sli user, talking out of his arse about wether or not sli works in a game.

Back in fall, ubisoft made a patch that enabled you to use multi gpu in assassins creed origins - nvidia just has to release a working sli profile for the game.

I tried using the sli bits for syndicate, and it gives close to 100% scaling, but suffers from visual issues.

Nvidia should be able to get a working sli profile, as they have always in the past been able to sort flickering etc that was caused by sli, by making a working sli profile. It's pretty much always the case actually, that there are visual issues before they make a sli profile for a game, but as long as the game actually does scale with sli, nvidia CAN get it working... if they bothered !

Here is a screenshot of me running origins 4k @ 140 % render res, with sli bits from syndicate

https://i.imgur.com/oshydgE.jpg

remicius and AQUILES like this.
  9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You obviously can't even read so why are you quoting me exactly?

tensai28 likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I could say the same to you. Don't bother replying, unless you have something on subject.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You really couldn't since I didn't even say anything about what you've written.

12. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    On a completely different note from special olympics internet arguing I have played two games with this driver so far while using the Latest Afterburner and no power monitoring. Subnautica plays alright although there is significant pop in compared to 388.77 and I think because of the terrible way it streams in textures way too late there is massive hitching when new parts of the open world pop in. It is i the worst I think I have ever noticed in a game and there is a significant difference in this behaviour just by changing drivers alone which is interesting to think about about why that may be the case. The other game I spent some time with was Far Cry 4 which I have not played previous to this driver and although the performance is way below what I thought it would be for being a reasonably dated title, it seems to play well enough and with no hitching/stuttering which is nice. Both games are rock solid after having to tweak my core voltage a tick higher for the 390.xx series drivers and down my VRAM OC a paltry 100mhz to stabilize it which really doesn't bother me. Although, thinking about the fact the we have slightly worse performance overall (although extremely marginal in most cases) and we have to up the juice and/or lower the clocks to get the rock solid stability previously enjoyed by us Pascal owners I hope that nVidia sorts out whatever is going on and in the not so distant future we can see our performance go back up as well as our old overclocking profiles stabilize.

Anyhow, that is all for me... just pitching into the conversation and trying to divert from the needless internet arguing.

Blackfyre likes this.
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I installed these today when installed my evga 1070ti black, I did quick test with Shadow of mordor @ 1080p on ultra getting 60 fps that buttery smooth, Swtor seem to run about the same as always has, I will test Skyrim SE and Witcher 2 later

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm unsure if this is a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver, Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (v1709 Build 16299.214) or both but I've seen this behaviour numerous times now, mostly in Unity Engine games, where the framerate will drop to around 20-24 fps when G-SYNC is enabled, in my case for both Fullscreen and Windowed modes. I have to force the exclusive fullscreen mode in order to fix this issue as I did in, for example, Dungeons 3 and Road Redemption, two Unity games off the top of my head.

Tonight I downloaded and ran the Final Fantasy XV Benchmark, a game that as far as I'm aware doesn't use the Unity engine, and was somewhat shocked to see the 1920x1080 Fullscreen with High settings running at 21-24 fps giving me a Low rating and an overall score of 1,917. I disabled G-SYNC and re-ran the benchmark on the same settings but this time the average framerate was 70-85 fps and the rating was Very High with a score of 9,189!

So clearly G-SYNC is not working with this game and actually destroys the performance. Why is this happening and with Unity Engine games as well? It ruins G-SYNC. When I first started using G-SYNC on Windows 10 v1703 it worked flawlessly but since updating to v1709 it seems more and more games are affected by this 24 fps bug. Surely I'm not the only one who has this issue?

PC specs: i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 GB, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2. My monitor is the 27" ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Lmao.

Why is this an issue if forcing FSO off fixes it?

Those optimizations can cause their own set of issues which is why i disable it for everything except for those that only use fullscreen windowed mode with no option for exclusive mode.

Blackfyre likes this.

16. Eesi

Eesi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 H2O
    ok i also got the pg279q and i ran the benchmark twice now. first time with g-sync disabled and vsync disabled in nvcp on 1080p high settings and the second run with g-sync full and windowed enabled and vsync set to application. my score with g-sync was actually higher than without it.
    btw i got a gtx1080

17. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    24fps bug i have in forza 7 with this driver! with every driver i have some problems with g-sync and games i play :mad:

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    installed my evga 1070ti black to day with these drivers. I am happy to say I not seeing and stutter issue. I am also happy to say i more happy with this evga 1070ti black then I was with the evga 1060gtx ssc.

1070ti black had much better fan curve as such better temps and much quieter fan then the 1060gtx.

1060gtx full load fan barely spun 35% and was hitting 72c + easy under auto fan, If I put to 45% it was much louder then ever other fan in my system and still was hitting 70c under full load.

1070ti, at 60c the fan is at about 50% and barely noticable. I tried put full load on my gpu but really couldnt get best i could get was 90-94% and card was saying under 67c so full load would be about 70c so this card not only is huge jump fromthe 1060gtx it also quieter fans and better cooling.

Skyrim SE, Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 2 ( with ubersampling) all play at max settings vsync @ 1080p at butter smooth 60fps, card barely hits 60% usage so i got some nice power to spare now, 1060gtx was doing 99% load in all them @ max 60fps, skyrim se was more like 70%

As far as i can tell for time being there nothing wrong with 390.77 drivers atlest that i can see atm

anxious_f0x and AsiJu like this.
  19. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Congrads on the new 1070Ti, just don't forget to update your sig, hehe. I still got my 1070, but hoping nVIDIA will bring out some new graphic cards this year so i can upgrade and give my 1070 to my lil' bro which is replacing his 970. I haven't installed the new nVIDIA Drivers yet, 390.77, still using 390.65. Since i'll probably be playing Kingdom Come soon when its out, i'll update the drivers to 390.77.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you know if you didnt say anything i probably wouldnt of update my gpu in my profile