Mini version of Commodore 64 will be released at the end of March

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    -Tj- and TeX_UK like this.
  2. manowarfreak

manowarfreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh can't wait to see it on my hands!

3. ratzuk

ratzuk Member

GPU:
    Inno3d 980
    In case you wondered here is the full list of games included and yes the classic Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe is in there, ice-cream anyone

AlleyKat
    Anarchy
    The Arc Of Yesod
    Armalyte: Competition Edition
    Avenger
    Battle Valley
    Bounder
    California Games
    Chip’s Challenge
    Confuzion
    Summer Games II
    Spindizzy
    Slayer
    Star Paws
    Super Cycle
    Cosmic Causeway: Trailblazer II
    Creatures
    Cyberdyne Warrior
    Cybernoid II: The Revenge
    Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
    Deflektor
    Everyone’s a Wally
    Firelord
    Gribbly’s Day Out
    Hawkeye
    Street Sports Baseball
    Speedball
    Temple of Apshai Trilogy
    Thing Bounces Back
    Thing on a Spring
    Heartland
    Herobotix
    Highway Encounter
    Hunter’s Moon
    Hysteria
    Impossible Mission
    Impossible Mission II
    Insects In Space
    Zynaps
    Mega-Apocalypse
    Stormlord
    Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe
    Trailblazer
    Uchi Mata
    Uridium
    Mission A.D
    Monty Mole
    Monty on the Run
    Nebulus
    Netherworld
    Nobby the Aardvark
    Nodes Of Yesod
    Paradroid
    Pitstop II
    Rana Rama
    Steel
    Snare
    Who Dares Wins II
    Winter Games
    World Games
    Robin of the Wood
    Rubicon
    Skate Crazy
    Skool Daze

Caesar likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Unless it is enhanced HW replica capable to run all code in native mode, it is going to end same way as other emulator HW boxes.

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    Typo? "...For those that where born after the 90'ies, the Commodore 64 was THE personal computer back in the days...".
    You mean before the 90's. I was born way before 90's, C64 was my first love :)

So far I'm not interested into buying this. Mostly because I still have two fully functional C64's (original/beautiful "gray fat" and that ugly slim white).

Second reason are games bundled with this replica. Lots of great C-64 games are missing:
    Last Ninja series
    Turrican series
    SilkWorm
    Commando
    Barbarian
    Bubble Bubble
    Ghosts 'n' Goblins
    Rick Dangerous
    Laser Squad
    Bruce Lee
    Myth
    Defender of the Crown
    ...I could do this all day long.

It was long time ago but the games (good ones) I still remember bundled with this "replica" are:
    California Games
    Summer Games II
    Creatures
    Cybernoid II: The Revenge
    Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
    Speedball
    Thing Bounces Back
    Impossible Mission
    Impossible Mission II
    Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe
    Uridium
    Who Dares Wins II
    Winter Games

...and that's it. Maybe I've missed few ones from the list, can't remember all games I've played more than 1/4 century ago :)

But if new games could be loaded via USB flash-drive then I might consider buying this, we'll see...

Caesar, Kaarme and airbud7 like this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To add something. Best game of all times for given hardware capabilities:
    EXILE - c64!!! Who here finished it without trainer?

7. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Can't even remember Exile, guess it wasn't part of my C64 game collection.

For me, like you just said "best game of all times for given hardware capabilities" on C64 were these games:
    Turrican & Turrican II (superior graphic, great variety of weapons, huge levels with lots of hidden stuff and MASSIIIIVEEEEE sprites: up to one and a half screen tall bosses!!!)
    Last Ninja series
    Rick Dangerous
    Myth

airbud7 likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I played Turrican 1 so many times till I finally completed it. That day was something...
    Parents went out with my brother to my cousin (I signed myself out as busy). And played for like 12 hours without leaving chair.
    I did not take break after finishing, then my family came back. And i went to say: "Hi".

I made exactly 0 steps as my legs were out of blood and I fell. I never felt any part of my body that stingy... "Ants and needless!"
    And I did laugh happily, because I still finished game!!! So big challenge.

airbud7 and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  9. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    Android box with c64.emu and wireless controller anybody?

HonoredShadow likes this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why do people pay for this junk? This is NOT a C64. It's just an emulator.

Get a Pi, install RetroPi on it, there you go. Cheap, and it emulates multiple retro machines, not just one. You can buy a case for it too, that looks like an NES or whatever you want it to look like.

HonoredShadow likes this.

11. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I remember finishing Turrican and Turrican II on C64 was so satisying. My brother and me we we jumping all over the room :) Completed both games at least two times each.

Damn, I forgot to mention Elite on C64: my brother and me we were playing that game without turning off C64 for days :D because there was no savegame option backthen, untill we managed to harvest iirc 110DEM (equivalent of todays 55€) and bought Final Cartridge II. After that it was much easier to "savegame" any game: press on (was it called like that?) Froze button on FCII, dump everything from C64 RAM to tape or 5.25" FDD and later load that memory dump back to C64 via FCII and continue with game on same spot. Still have FCII, few months ago together with Hilbert and few other folks here on different thread we posted few pics with our own C64 (and A500) hardware.

I also had 300baud modem backthen to access local BBS's. GEOS was great, had that too on few 5.25" FDD's.

HonoredShadow, airbud7 and LIGuitar77 like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yeah, Turrican II was not that satisfying for me. Was easier. But I loved music. Listened to it for years to come.
    With my brother we finished Bubble Bobble together. Repair on our joysticks... We never went brutal or raging on them, but we played so much.

On Elite, I remember saving... I was master trader, writing down prices through every system I went through. Saving... Then came cute tribble... Then realization that i ruined my saves, because tribbles were not as much cute as disaster in waiting. Elite was another great concept. (Concept of "endless" game.)
    Same can be said on Original Sim City. (Author was guy who made damn hard game: "Raid on Bungeling Bay".)

HonoredShadow and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Cute thing but i recognize very few games so i´m gonna skip this one. Maybe they will release next a mini Amiga 500 with the games i love, if that happens they have a customer.

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I have no idea how many games I played on C64, but I do know I didn't finish a whole lot of them. But then again, back then I wouldn't spend hours playing a game, forgetting the time entirely. Except maybe with Ultima V...

15. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Yeah, music in Turrican games was out of this world. I remember well my brother and me we loaded last scene (outro) via FCII RAM dump in these games multiple times just to enjoy listening to the music. Sad thing while listening to that music we were aware those were the last days for our beloved fatty. Amiga 500 was out in the wild...

C64's SID chip was superb compared to anything else in home computer market, until Atari 520ST and Amiga 500 came out. Amiga's sound capabilities were nothing more than brutal.

Hahaha! I remember that like it was yesterday. We also played Bubble Booble co-op via two QuickShot joystick, iirc level 98 had some kind of bug/glitch resulting in complete game freeze (followed by mostly my raging sessions on my brothee lol), but not always, so one of us had to blow insane number of bubbles and the other one had to jump up to reach iirs some kind of item (white egg?) to jump straight to level 100. Oh, good old days, wonder if he remember all those things like I am, bet he do...

My first electronics repairs were weekend days and repairing joysticks for our own and C64's of our friends after all kinds of joystick smashing games like Daley Thompsons. But now looking at those joysticks sports raging sessions tbh they were "healthy" for us as a young boys, more power to our hands, especially that right one if you know what I mean :D

Fox2232 likes this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    10 PRINT "AWESOME"
    20 GOTO 10

RUN

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I remember playing some Egyptian runner avoiding sparrows and Buck rogers space shooter

lol that loading screen skizofrenia attack xD

Looks ok, maybe you misunderstood. check whole 2 sentences bellow :)

THE computer to get back in the 80ies, and thus this is a lot of nostalgia.
    For those that where born after the 90'ies, the Commodore 64 was THE personal computer back in the days.

18. MrAMD

MrAMD Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080
    Where the hell is Paper Boy and Spy Hunter??????

19. Dean_Demon

Dean_Demon Member

GPU:
    Titan RTX 24 GB
    A full version is appearing at a later stage as well, i tried to get one of my own C64 game releases put on this package but couldn't get a deal done unfortunately but this mini version sure should sell well.

20. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

They go to all this trouble to stylise it after a C64... and then supply it with an Atari-style joystick (looks to be a replica of the Competition Pro 5000). Commodore had their own joystick design which they used for the C64 and 264 series - the T-1341 and C-1342 - and it would have been a fantastic touch to include a revamped one of those instead.

I can almost guarantee it would be far harder to fix, and much less fun to do so, than an original C64, though. Still, it's a pretty decent list of included titles - but no International Karate Plus seems like a missed opportunity, among the other titles mentioned.