Gtx 680 throttling down, no oc

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by siulmagic, Jan 30, 2018.

1. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    Hello iv been experiencing this in games, but mostly on bf1, my cpu has turbo core disabled and i set it to all cores @ 4.2ghz 1.488v core. I already reinstalled my driver with ddu, i also reflashed my stock gpu bios, but still the card does it, it is completely random.

Cpu amd fx 8300 @4.2ghz
    Gpu GTX 680
    Mobo MSi gaming 970
    16gb of ram

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you're using vsync, that is what happens when your FPS drops below 60 FPS.

3. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    You need a custom bios to prevent all throttling on the GPU. (Up to Nvidia 900 series, 1000 series does not have bios mods available, requiring shunt resistor mods).

It's safe to bios mod if you know what you're doing. Drop me a PM and I'll help you out.

Using V-Sync is NOT advised as it will introduce massive input lag, putting you behind everyone else. In game FPS limiting, Nvidia Fast Sync, or RTSS frame limiting are much better options.

4. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    Now that i remember i set a fps limiter on rivatunner, for a different game i was playing. i will disable it. thank you for the info guys.

airbud7 likes this.

5. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    I think i can manage that, i have to look for a guide on kepler gpus, i did it for my gtx 950. thanks for the info man.

6. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Alright, if you'd like I can give you some pointers and a "template bios" with the correct tools to work on it. (Also, since you are running on AMD, you need another GPU (literally anything) to output video so you can reflash if you flash a bios that will not work)

airbud7 likes this.
  7. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    this has happened to me before, i have done some blind flashing before XD.

cookieboyeli likes this.
  8. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    lol me too

airbud7 likes this.
  9. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    airbud7 likes this.
  10. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Maxwell bios tweaker is the new version of the tool, it is backwards compatible.
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/71-n...te-gtx-9xx-h2o-air-bios-tweaking-oe-c-sa.html
    In my experience with my 770 (which are 680's), you can pretty much set power target to 1000w and voltage to 1.313v (not all the sliders, only some!!!).
    I also found more success using NVFlash 5.190.0.1 to flash instead of newer versions. Don't forget to unlock the fan limits as well. I went from around 3000rpm -> 3400rpm. Which was essentially 89% -> 100%

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Have you actually tried cleaning the card and replacing thermal paste?

12. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    i don't think its thermal throttling , this card mostlly loads at 65c. but i can repaste cant hurt to try it.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its the K-boost thing thats letting it clock down and up. Modded bios should fix this.

14. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    Yea havent gotten around modding my bios, been busy with work, hopefully i can do it later today.

Edit:Finally modded my bios, and the k booting is gone. thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  15. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    Bump

My card is still throttling, even though i am forcing my boost clocks always. and i have 0 vsync on =/.

These are serttings i am forcing on the card.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That isn't very helpful. I've no idea what your actual issue is because all you keep saying is 'throttling'. Your performance seems normal for the age of your GPU and the game you're trying to play. If you want better more consistent performance, spend the dough.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Try this bios http://www.filedropper.com/asus680updgop

You're complaining about a feature of Boost

If that bios doesn't fix it, you'll need to flash a modded GTX 770 bios(they are the same card) which has more control over boost function.

18. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    i only say that because there is no other way to describe it, i monitor my clocks with afterburner but the card never actually down clocks, its just the fps dip for no apparent reason, the gtx 680 is more than enough to play this game on 1080p medium settings. And yes i understand my gpu is old, i am planning on upgrading soon, but right now i cant so this will have to do in the mean time.

19. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    I will flash it and report back, i don't know if you remember me Agent-01 you actually helped me flash my gtx to a 770 before XD, anyways i did not stay with the mod, as that made my card not post bios, but it would actually boot to windows and work fine. But i guess i could try again.

Edit: i tried the modified bios you sent me, and it "seems" to be working i don't want to jump the gun and say it is fixed like before, but yea i managed to play 3 matches and not fps dips.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  20. siulmagic

siulmagic Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RX 6750 XT
    After further testing the card will still dip my fps, even with agent-a01 bios, i guess this card is just dying. I will just do what i have been doing for the path couple months, minimizing and maximizing the game so the fps go back to normal, that's the only thing that seems to fix it.