Quick test: Corsair PBT Double-Shot Keycaps

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We check out some plastics today, as we review the new PBT Double-Shot Keycaps from Corsair, compatible with their K95, K70, K65, K66, K63 and STRAFE keyboard models. The new keycaps are extremely dur...

Quick test: Corsair PBT Double-Shot Keycaps

zaft and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Very interesting, thanks for the review HH.
    Although I have to admit, the most interesting thing to me would be the key puller, so I'd have an easy time to clean my keyboard as well as the keycaps! I'll have to look for that one...

Solfaur likes this.
  3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Typo : " Ironically I had no idea how good white keycaps on a black motherboard look."

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh yeah, that's definitely not a motherboard :)

5. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    The only thing I want to know from Corsair is one thing; When will they release keyboards with the new low-profile mechanical switches? :)

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm honestly surprised that pretty much all mid-range and up keyboards, particularly all the standard expensive mechanical keyboards don't have double-shot key caps. How much could it possibly cost for something that prevents a very common problem with pretty much all these keyboards? I use a Logitech G910 Spectrum and I wouldn't have bought it, even far below the MSRP, if it weren't from Logitech which reassures me they'd send replacement parts if any key caps are flawed (that would peel). I had some flawed keys, they sent me a replacement set no hassles. I can't say the same about other manufacturers... *cough* Cooler Master *cough*
    Bro, if you don't have key caps on your motherboard, you're not keeping up. Keyboards built into the motherboard are the new hot thing.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We've been there and done that back in the 80ies, my man ;)

[​IMG]

Neo Cyrus and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    LOL, I only remembered that used to be a thing after I made my post. But these days it's even more useful, you can use the CPU/GPU heat sinks to cook your food right on your desk now. That gets me thinking, miners should open restaurants. You're welcome miners, don't be late on sending me payments for the brilliant idea.

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.
  9. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I have these keycaps for my Corsair Strafe, and I'll be honest: I don't like the white keycaps on a black keyboard. I do really like the keycaps themselves though, so I'm thinking of figuring out a way to paint my keyboard white.

The keycaps themselves are amazing quality. Really good.

10. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    I own a K70 lux rgb, with 3D printed white back-plate to increase backlighting around the keys, and personally the white key-caps don't look that good to me. They reflect the light very nicely it seems, but I prefer the clean and professional look of plain black, and find it hard to believe the lettering is actually more visible with the white key-caps. I'd love to try it out however, on the numpad for example, but 50 euros seems very steep to me.. Nonetheless, good review.

they're so good and fast they cause you to skip words? :D

The key puller isn't that good imo. I use mine only for the two middle rows so that I can grab the key-caps with my fingers. I don't have experience with other ones though, so I can't assess how well it performs relative to the competition.

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I might consider this in regular black for my k95 plat as I intend to keep it for a looong time. White looks beyond ugly on a black k/b to me

12. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Interesting review, thanks HH!

Think I have few of these key pullers for giveaway, used only once on few gaming A4Tech keyboards we have on our gaming rigs at home, X7-G800MU, X7-G100, KB-28G... iirc all of those keyboards came with same key pullers, I just need to find original boxes for those somewhere in basement (that's gonna be a lot of work lol), 100% sure these key pullers are still there inside those boxes. It looks identical to that one Corsair is bundling with those keycaps. If you're interested PM me and I'll send it to you for free, just need few spare hours to find those KB boxes, somewhere :)

Or come buy for coffe and few shots of Rakija when you have few spare hours, 300, 400Km from Austria to Serbia via highway is nothing :)

edit
    Gotta check if any of my friends living/working in Austria is heading there these days, for sure it'll be faster than sending small package via our (slooooow) post office.

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.
  13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For those that do not like the white keycaps but are interested, the keycap kit is available in black as well.

zaft and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This is my intention as well. Bought the K95 (Cherry MX Brown) last year for a record price as far as keyboards go but it's a fantastic piece and I too hope it will last me years.

I don't mind the white on black since I have a similar combination with my case and I like the color scheme a lot (I have a CM Storm Trooper which is black with a Stryker exterior which is all white and the system looks great through the side window with all the black interior). Only problem is I can't seem to find the caps anywhere, so probably Corsair store will be my only option.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I've searched a little for where to get stuff like that extra (without the caps, which I might still buy because of the lesser attraction to dirt, hopefully), and they are something between 3€ and 9€ on amazon. Although the reviews aren't great on most of these.

hehe no need for the extra effort, but thanks for the offer! Sadly I couldn't offer sleepovers :D
    But if you give me your pay pal addy I'd be glad to send you the money required for sending it via mail, for convenience reasons hehe

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Thing is that at this price range u can buy mech keyb on blue switches...

17. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Since this article is about keyboards - does anyone have insight into the closest comparison typing/gaming wise, to the now out of production Microsoft Sidewinder X4/X6 keyboards?

18. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I for one like the black caps, and if they last as advertised 50euro is ok (and will buy one set) . Just need for them to be in shop in Ro or order from amazon as corsair I think does not ship to Romania.

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I had the x6 before this k95 plat (brown). Typing and gaming is a little better, and it's actually slightly quieter I'd say. I never liked the x6, the layout/key spread always felt off. Everything's a little better, just all around and it does add up. Is it worth $200+? no, but quite frankly, nothing is. It's a choice you have to make, and the cheaper models shouldn't be much different.