AMD: We’re Very Committed To Gaming So That’s Not Going To Change

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm not sure why it happens but a few tech companies have some rather rabid fanboys. I'm always surprised AMD is as competitive as it is with the little drop in the hat for R&D that they have vs Nvidia and Intel. Anyhow it's not like this was news or anything of course they support gaming. I'll be patiently waiting to see Zen and Navi on 7nm which should be the inoculation to what ales both products today(frequency / power).

2. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Long, long, long time reader/lurker here. Mind you, I only created this particular account last year and haven't really posted... but I just happened to see this and wanted to say great job HH. The news, articles, and comments here on Guru3D are free of trolls and that is what has kept me coming back for years - keep up the good work.

xIcarus likes this.
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  4. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    I am going to respond to this because his post is annoying me............Without AMD releasing the Ryzen cpu's intel would be giving you a quad core "mainstream" cpu again, with a 1% performance increase, without AMD, Microsoft would be sitting on DX11, thanks for AMD's Mantle, you now have DX12, without AMD, nVidia would be re-releasing the 8800gtx for the 4th time (gtx 250, 9800, 8800) you can thank AMD for advancing Gaming on the PC, I for one buy products from both companies depending on what they offer and what value it brings, your comment is very childish with no real observation.

ubercake, HandR and Agonist like this.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Somebody gets it.

Its really funny though, when AMD does do great in gaming, its like meh, when they lose, its horrible. When nvidia wins, AMD sucks, rabid fanboys everywhere, when nvidia loses, AMD didnt get far enough ahead, so dont worry Nvidia will win again. I just dont get it.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Gotta justify the money they spent on hardware.

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Amd might have pushed features/stuff being used in/for games, but not gaming itself as a whole (pc market).
    not with the low market share.
    when your below 30% for most of the time in almost 2 decades ( and very often even lower), your not "the one" influencing the market.
    Nv makes almost 50% more rev just with gpu stuff, vs amd, which is making a large share with cpu (not gpu) related sales.

fact is, amd gpus run hotter while consuming more power, or i would already have one, as i dont care if the card shines green or red.
    fact is, im still waiting for any of those "nv milks us.." to show proof, where Nv increased prices on their cards, outside things like inflation or different markets.
    and were talking msrp here, not the jacked up prices from mining (a 1060 for +500$? right).
    the top 2-3 chips have basically always gone for a similar amount
    e.g. gtx 570 was 349, 580 was 499, 590 was 699. now compare to 8y later..

that said, i cant wait to sell my 3770k and get a ryzen 1700,
    and as long as amd releases a card that runs cooler and with lower power consumption than a similar priced Nv one, i will happily switch in a heartbeat.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Like Ford versus Chevy? It's as old as time. My own personal take is that of course an 'AMD PR' article (note this isn't directed at HH) is going to attract the fannies on both sides of the aisle. Whether or not the discussions have become coarser over time is a different issue. People have hobbies and get defensive over their choices regarding them.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's very amusing of you guys to still keep following AMD just as blindly as the people you complain about on the other side of the trenches going berzerk for Nvidia.
    Honestly, I don't see where the gaming industry has truely evolved over the last years, on no side. Nothing we have now improved gaming massively than to what was three years ago.
    The only "invention" was VR, and that had little to do with either AMD nor Nvidia.

edit: What I mean is that any fanboy fights here, be it zealously defending AMD or top down talking by Nvidia fanboys, or the other way around, is useless and actually means fighting over bones as they say here, big discussions over nothing.

We could try to unite against a common enemy, the miners, but no...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    fry178, Maddness, 386SX and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If AMD is planning to use the Zen inspired easily scalable approach for the next generation of its GPUs, I reckon they will need more money to pull off the R&D than they normally would. More money and more time. Ryzen took them quite a long time, although I'm sure they were struggling with money for that whole time, prolonging the period further. If the R&D increases mentioned in the article basically indicate this is the case, let's hope they pull off with it what they did with Ryzen.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Are there any rumours yet if Navi (or whatever they name the next generation) will have some realistic availability unlike what happened with Vega?

That... sounds like a ridiculous question. But you never know.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    My next Desktop PC is going to be AMD Ryzen based. This will be my 1st AMD CPU since my K6 III 450 and my am486 DX4 120. AMD struck gold with Ryzen it made Intel wake up to go beyond 4c/4t and 4c 8t mainstream CPUs.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    way to early for that
    hbm Is killing them.just look how the custom cards are doing and remember the slack from the aib' s even before they got chips.
    back to the secret love affair between pc gamers and amd

amd loves them too much to tell them to go get a console for that would break the hearts of the one she really loves.
    while shes got a few miners(legal aged) stopping by during the day and night plus the professional guys having there way with her too.she would have brought her friend "tessy" and did something special for looks like doing her "hairworks" for her pc bf, but she does not want to be slowed down.
    she has to keep big papa micro deep 12"er happy too

but she needs you she has expensive tastes deep down in her heart she really wish you would just spend less then 500usd get a console and live happily ever after

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    386SX and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I can make some on spot based on unrelated information.
    1st) delayed - as we should expect more Compute oriented products (Read Vega doing well on compute side)
    2nd) Expect AMD to split GPUs fully into Compute/Server category and Gaming category (As currently GPUs are way too wasteful on transistors.)
    3rt) Dynamic IQ Feature for fps sustain (secret source)
    4th) Still expect beefier chips than from nV as they'll not clock as high (cooking from water here)

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehehe very creatively saying the same thing as me, only better :D love it

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    ... are you serious? The existence of the Titan cards is all the proof you need. Even though I like Nvidia (I'm a customer and stockholder), I despise the Titan - it effectively putting the top high-end card out of the reach of most consumers. To me, the Titan is like Intel's HEDT series, a massively overpriced product for the niche, cashed-up market (the 6950X was an outright insult, and the current 7980XE isn't far behind). It's the kind of product you make when you have a virtual monopoly and want to cash in on it.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    But you know, there's where you as a customer don't have to buy a Titan... wait for the TI if you want to go Nvidia and you already took out your argument against the Titan. And Nvidia knows that, why would they even bother to offer a TI if they'd not know that only people that don't care buy a Titan...

As consumers we have a choice to go to another manufacturer, or buy another card. Be happy that somebody pays for those Titans, it adds to your stock value ;)

18. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I agree with you, unite against the miners. I have a thread here asking for my planned upgrade. I just checked a few recommendations only to find out even in Germany (where we usually do not have big availability issues) most GFX are not available anymore.
    But see here:
    [​IMG]
    43 cards available in total! AMD and NVIDIA together! Usually there are hundreds.

NVIDIA and AMD should integrate some check into their drivers. As soon as a mining software is started the screen goes black if the card which is running is NO dedicated mining card. Then they should put up some specified cards which are only able to do mining. They did the same with Phillips TVs after a legal issue. If you connect a Phillips TV to your Geforce GFX by HDMI, you will get video but no sound. That scheme should be adaptable to mining ...
    NVIDIA link: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...hen-graphics-card-connected-to-a-philips-hdtv
    (Sure, they don't name legal or license issues, it is ALWAYS incompatibility! But a Phillips tech told me.... ;-) )

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The Titan series is a relatively new product though, 4-5 years old. It's essentially a workstation card marketed to rich gamers.

Obviously Nvidia release them to make money, but would you rather they didn't exist and the Nvidia cards topped out at the TI range instead?
    It's not like removing the Titan cards from existence would not make the TI cards and everything below any cheaper.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Titan is massively overpriced for gamers but massively cost effective for compute servers/researchers/etc. It's the only card outside Tesla's that support TCC mode and it's a fraction of the price.

I also don't see how it's much different than Vega FE.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.