Google Chrome Adds Support For HDR Video Playback

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Google send word about an update with the Chrome browser over the last year and offered a peek at some features that will arrive later this year. To start, Chrome now supports play/pause, rewind, and ...

Google Chrome Adds Support For HDR Video Playback

2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    So if i get that right you can watch hdr ads on any platform but hdr content only to latest intrl cpus?

3. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    HDR content isn't exclusively for DRM protected content. Most of it will probably will be, but it doesn't have to be.
    It's usually just associated with 4K Blu-Rays and Netflix.
    YouTube can display HDR content as long as the the browser supports it.
    Netflix 4K (with or without HDR) now works on any Nvidia cards from the last 2 generations as long as you're on Win10 and have new'ish drivers. There are downloadable demo videos that display HDR as long as you have a player that can display it.
    There are games that use HDR as well. Those probably don't apply to in-browser HDR, but they're just another example that it isn't totally tied to Intel's DRM.

Venix likes this.
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800

5. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    Netflix 4K only requires HDCP 2.2, which the 950's-980's support.
    HDR is supported in "all Maxwell and Pascal cards"...but whether Netflix (or Microsoft) add additional requirements on top of that I dunno. The 10's definitely work with or without the new Intel DRM.
    9XX's *should* work, but it's not like MS has handled HDR very well to begin with. Their desktop implementation is still horrid.

6. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    You'll need an nvidia card that not only supports the HDCP 2.2+ spec but ALSO the hardware HEVC chip optimizations needed to decode 4k HEVC in realtime. Those are only found in the most recent nvidia cards and the intel chips mentioned previously. That's the key.

While you can play x264 4k content in other geforce cards as long as they support the resolution, because x264 hardware decoding has been in all of these cards for a few years now, you can't play HEVC, 4k, and now HDR on them.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

Check the eighth and ninth generations of PureVideo (and VDPAU feature sets F through H) to find the right graphics card for your hardware decoding video needs.

Generally speaking, if it's a Maxwell (GM) series card, you're out of luck. But if you have a Pascal (GP) series card, you ready to go!

And finally, the cheapest, most robust Home Theatre PC graphics cards supporting VP8/VDPAU-H is the GeForce GT 1030, at about $75.

I hope this helps.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    oh i see so far i thought hdr was only available to intel cpus my bad then

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Netflix 4K requires an nVidia 1xxx series card for more DRM. It won't work with a 9xx series card. What I'm not sure about is whether or not the monitor has to support 4K. They list it as a requirement but I don't know if that means that's what you need to actually see 4K, or if it won't allow 4K playback at all. I'd like to watch 4K on a 1440p screen, but I wouldn't put it past them to block 4K playback if the monitor isn't detected as supporting 4K.

9. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Can I just get HDR playback on my LG G6 first please GOOGLE?! HUH?