AMD: We’re Very Committed To Gaming So That’s Not Going To Change

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. krakenxt

krakenxt Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    AMD hates PC gaming by giving us shoddy gaming performance with Vega and Ryzen. Ryzen matches Ivy Bridge in gaming and gets destroyed by a heavily gimped i5 8400, whereas Vega only competes with a midrange GPU die from Nvidia.

tensai28 and Rakanoth like this.
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You made your point, 10x now. Your AMD dislike and passion for Intel is clear, each and every single one of your posts is showing your agony with AMDs products. Infraction point added to your account, it's getting old and other readers are getting annoyed by your comments. Share some good vibes on the forums, as this is not what the forums need to become.

4. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    For vega i would say yeah maybe, but for ryzen let's be real i got myself a 5 1600x and i'm loving it really, works like a champ.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Amd loves gaming they want 4 or 5 consoles in every house

lucidus likes this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I already use my Ryzen 7 system as my main gaming rig, but they have a lot of catching up to do regarding GPUs. Although I've considered getting a Vega GPU in the past, it was for computing purposes (I suppose I could try gaming as well, although I think it'd be a downgrade from my GTX 1080). I just hope that they make some good money from the mining craze to put towards their GPU development. Even those who support Nvidia should support AMD's GPU efforts as well. After all, we've all seen what lack of competition can do in the CPU market.

7. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Ryzen is doing very well and with new RTG leadership there is a bit of new hope for the GPU side as well.

That's quite the feat with him having just 14 posts altogether.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Fender178 and Silva like this.
  8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Makes sense, as they havn't been able to compete with Nvidia for a long time now at gaming on the PC, just too far ahead, i said they were finished and out of it ages ago.

alanm likes this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, they fell almost a generation behind (Pascal>Vega> next NV soon). Nvidia having much deeper pockets will likely continue to be ahead in foreseeable future. I'm sure AMD committed to gaming, but that doesnt change the cold hard facts.

tensai28 and Rich_Guy like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They want to achieve putting more money into R&D? I guess that means they might try to up the production as well. Because they need more money to do so... somebody has to pay horrible prices to help such a development.
    Of course in the future their products try to serve a more multi purpose work fields for their customers, like doing things besides gaming, like data centers or miners.

Honestly, who ever complained about Nvidia's latest statement in regards to limiting GPU sales to small numbers per order, this is just as much of empty words.
    I'd like to see both of the companies to follow their word and do something about the current market situation.
    (Of course we know, soon Nvidia will give us something new. I'm curious to see how that turns out with miners already waiting with filled wallets.)

11. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    There wouldn't be these quite appealing custom Vegas if they would have given up. Sooner or later there will be custom Vegas in stock for the list price or less, but I just wonder how much lower power consumption you can get from Volta cards. The comparisons are going to be nasty, but if they are going to sell Vega very cheap, then I'm fine with the power.

12. Dyseman

Dyseman Member

GPU:
    RX-6800XT 16GB
    My latest rig is an AB350N-Gaming and 1600x w/ Vega56. I've had Zero issues and pretty much soley used for VR (WindowsMR & Oculus). I'm just hoping that my B350 Motherboard will be compatible with upcoming AM4 2xxx Ryzens if I decide to up my proc.

This rig replaced my retiring x58 i7 980Extreme. Which, really, had no issues at all... just needed a refresh.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seeing as Nvidia basically said the same thing yesterday, it's a little funny to hear AMD be like "hey uh... me too!"

Considering Vega64 should've been a financial failure, miners coincidentally found a need for Vega GPUs, and instead Vega has been raking in a lot of cash for AMD. Remember, AMD themselves have been making most of the Vega sales, not the AIB partners. That being said, I'm not sure it will be so much of a struggle for them to pay for R&D. Also, since AMD doesn't have their own fabs, there's only so much they can do about increasing production. As long as they stick with HBM, I suspect production is going to be pretty limited.
    Aside from limiting orders, I'm not sure what these companies can do. If there's any truth to Nvidia's claims, the retailers are the ones jacking up the price, so there isn't much of an incentive for them to do anything AMD or Nvidia want.

I know Vegas are deemed very power hungry, but their wattage suddenly becomes a lot less un-settling once you start comparing compute performance. Vega is really only especially inefficient when it comes to games. To my recollection, Volta would still be significantly better (though the Titan V is crazy expensive).

Lilith and airbud7 like this.
  14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I've converted both my gaming PCs to Ryzen over the past year and have not regretted it at all. They are definitely lagging behind in the high end GPU market, but that's only an issue at resolutions over 1080p or 120hz gaming.

15. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Are you disappointed with your Vega64? I am asking because I see very little entries of people dissatisfied with Vega, who are also owners of this card. The vast majority negative comments about Vega, come from NV card owners.
    As for me, I am sure of one thing after these few months of using the V64LC - I certainly would not trade my V64LC for 1080Ti.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    correct me if I am wrong but isnt all consoles atm AMD powered?

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No not at all, im very happy with it :)

Yes, apart from the Nintendo Switch, which is a Nvidia Tegra.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No.

Nintendo Switch is powered by an underclocked Nvidia Tegra X SoC right from Shield TV...

Edit: Damn" Rich_Guy got me by seconds! :D

Rich_Guy likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Really I thought i read that was AMD too.

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)