OverdriveNTool - tool for AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tede, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Szaby59

Szaby59 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega56
    Doesn't work with Fiji:

[​IMG]

Memory OC is disabled for this card, probably that's why, since it wants to apply memory frequency and voltage too.

2. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    I'm trying to explain you that OverdriveNTool.exe process doesn't start at all when you use your .bat file. How could it apply profile when it doesn't even run? You have problem with your .bat files
    What about other Fiji users?

3. yestolife

yestolife Guest

GPU:
    yes
    Thank you so much for this great tool! I have a question about under-volting dropouts. Let's say miner starts and with settings from overdriventool GPU only voltage is 80watts. Suddenly in a few minutes the voltage spikes to 112watts. What is the best way to avoid this? I assume the card wants more voltage when this happens, but it happens even if max voltage is given. Does wattman hold better? On certain cards, undervolting can be annoying and problematic to say the least. I believe proper straps have been used in bios mods. Thanks and cheers to the fellow miners! : )

4. birday

birday Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    may i ask how you set the voltage for memory and core? and p states? i was not aware of the ADL SDK being able to do that. at least for newer cards e.g. rx 480

5. sfury

sfury Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
    Hi, I've decided to use this tool for tinkering with my Vega 56 (modded with 64 BIOS), because MSI Afterburner has no individual P-state settings and I'm a bit alergic to WattMan, which has benn buggy for me in the past.

So just a couple of novice questions:
    1) Will Afterburner interfere with the OverdriveNTool? I'm using it for a custom fan curve, also RivaTunerStatistics is useful for in-game OSD when testing

2) Does OverdriveNTool load its settings on the driver/card, or do they work only when OverdriveNTool is started? E.g. do I have to run ONTool on Windows start to get my profile/settings applied, or they're already set and driver/card would auto-load them on Windows start?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. yestolife

yestolife Guest

GPU:
    yes
    OK, I think I know what I need to do. I figured out how to use a batch file @ startup to set the timings via the profile. All I need now is a way to loop that, let's say 900mv then 899mv, then 900mv, then 899mv, about every 5 minutes. This way when the voltage goes way up it quickly resets and voltage spike is thwarted. It works manually, (change from 900 to 899 mv stabilizes voltage again , at least temporarily), so why not just have windows do it for me continually? I may be able to integrate into task manager somehow, but for now a crude batch file with timeouts is all I know how to do. lol Anything to save $ on electric. This way when I restart it's all set to go and electric use will be super low! YAY, can't wait to get it set up!

EDIT:

OK, here's my first attempt:

==============
    @Echo off
    cls
    :start
    start /d "C:\Users\asus mirage\Desktop\" OverdriveNTool.exe -r1 -r2 -r3 -r4 -r5 -r6 -r7
    start /d "C:\Users\asus mirage\Desktop\" OverdriveNTool.exe -p3"3 MINER BAD MEM" -p1"1 MSI 30.2" -p2"2 MINER NEW 29.3" -p4"4 PULSE 30" -p5"5 NITRO 29.3" -p7"7 NITRO CRAPPER" -p6"6 BAD MINER"
    timeout /t 60
    start /d "C:\Users\asus mirage\Desktop\" OverdriveNTool.exe -r1 -r2 -r3 -r4 -r5 -r6 -r7
    start /d "C:\Users\asus mirage\Desktop\" OverdriveNTool.exe -p3"3 MINER BAD MEM" -p1"1 MSI 30.2" -p2"2 MINER NEW 29.3" -p4"4 PULSE 30A" -p5"5 NITRO 29.3" -p7"7 NITRO CRAPPER" -p6"6 BAD MINER"
    timeout /t 60
    goto start
    ==============

It's actually working! I have claymore start in separate bat file in startup folder.
    In this example, I am only targeting one card, my 570 pulse which keeps jumping to 120 watts. I have two similar profiles for the card, one is only different by 1millivolt. But reminding the card every 60 seconds that it's going to accept the profile keeps it at a steady 86-94 watts! Success! lol love it.

This rig has all my problem cards in it BTW, usually no issues with good cards. : )

But looks like a great solution for that one card that won't behave when undervolting... Or to even push cards to lower voltages that normally would not hold, as long as it's not too low to crash them all together! Hope this might be useful for someone out there!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    1. I think is not
    2. It will set the settings for Adrenalin Wattman and closes (im closing it when settings are set)

8. sfury

sfury Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
    Thanks, I played around with OverdriveNTool last night, I even managed to control the fan from there with Afterburner not running.

What makes the fan control a bit complicated in my case is I have installed a Morpheus II cooler with 2 120mm fans connected to the card's fan controller. These of course have very different RPMs to the reference Vega fan and Overdrive and Wattman have settings just for RPMs, not percentage.

So to run the 120mm fans at 100% (1900 RPM) I have to set the max RPM target to 5000 RPM which is AMD's original fan 100%, same for min values.

Btw anyone have idea which sensor the "Target Temp." for fans is targeting? GPU, HBM temp or Hotspot?

9. v8tuner

v8tuner Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    wow over 15 years since I was posting on guru3d. Been struggling to control my fans with new build. I have successfully used ODNT with the exact same hardware last week. I have reformatted and DDRU'd repeatedly. I thought I found the magic pill with replacing the atiaxx.dll's but it didn't work. I'm at a complete loss. This all worked before with the same MB. Seems once the drivers are installed, the fans wont kick on. When I am in between drivers, they are running.
    MB Asrock z77 extreme 4 with i5 3570K
    1000W PS
    Only one Vega in the x16 slot right now.
    Windows 10, updated build 16299

Thanks!!

10. sfury

sfury Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
    What is your problem exactly - fans stop completely after drivers are installed? Or they work at some minimum RPM + not being able to adjust them through ODNT/Wattman?

Have you checked what diagnostics report your current fan speed is, e.g. Wattman, GPU-z, Afterburner?

11. v8tuner

v8tuner Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I wish I could say definitively how I got things working but, I cant. After formatting the HD, I let windows update to the latest AMD drivers and complete all its updates. I, DDRU's, installed the blockchain drivers, copying the atiaxx and xy dlls from the latets 18.1 drivers AND allowed AMD to install all the apps. Not to my liking but now ODNT works as it did before. Unfortunately, I want to wipe and start over trying the install w/o the wattman being installed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  12. sfury

sfury Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 (64 BIOS)
    Well, at least it's working for you now. Idk, if I'd change anything - with so many variables it would take a lot of time to find what exactly is causing it.

I have a different problem currently - in some tests/games my card will boost above its set core voltage/Mhz.
    E.g. here are my settings after Firestrike Extreme stress test crash (benchmark stops, driver crashes and resets):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This same has happened to me randomly on Superposition, Witcher 3. I say randomly because for every crash I've also had a ton of Superposition, Time Spy, Firestrike tests passing without problem, stress testing it with benchmarks, playing PUBG, Witcher 3 for ~30 mins each (I know not much, but hadn't more time and it's longer than benchmarks). It has also happened on different settings - 1580mhz @ 1050mv, 1100mv, HBM2 @ 1000mv

My card is Vega 56 with 64 BIOS modded on. Win10 Fall Creators Edition. My driver is 17.12.1. I've only started having this problem since last week removing the reference cooler and changing with Morpheus II (which I've reseated 3 times already, last time with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste)

So far what I'm sure is not the problem:
    - Afterburner, Riva Tuner Statistics, ReLive (I've tested without them all started, also current driver is without ReLive installed at all)
    - Radeon 17.12.1 driver - reference cooler card worked great with it, never crashed, I've now reinstalled several times with DDU
    - 64 BIOS mod - card has worked for 2-3 months with it, on default settings core 1630Mhz @1200mv, HBM2 945Mhz @1100mv, never touched Wattman or ODNT because card just worked with these, never crashed, probably was throttling though
    - 56 reserve BIOS seems to be working fine, though I haven't tested it for extensive time
    - PSU - Super Flower 600W Golden King 92+ Platinum - never had problem with it, single-rail, has handled dual-gpu cards like 7990 in past
    - Temperatures? With Morpheus II cooler on 1580mhz @ 1025mv or 1050mv card stays cool GPU and HBM temperatures at max 55-56 C, GPU Hot-spot 90-92 C (that's the best after 3 cooler reseats, not sure how it was on Reference cooler)

What's suspicious:
    - VRM temperatures sometimes appear on sensors, sometimes do not. When they appear the temp in the 50-60s C
    I've got small heatsinks that came with the Morpheus on all the VRMs
    - when I switched from reference cooler to Morpheus card has always been unstable in Superposition at default 64 BIOS settings: core 1630Mhz @1200mv, HBM2 945Mhz @1100mv , When testing with Reference cooler at same setting months ago it never crashed, though I think it throttled and hit 1500-1530Mhz at max with fan at 100%, maybe high 1400s with regular fan curve

So does anyone have any suggestions what's causing these instabilities?

My best current guess is with the new cooler GPU doesn't throttle as much and reaches Mhz that it can't actually handle. That's why I'm currently lowering the P7 state Mhz so it doesn't boost so high.

I'm really at loss why a cooler and undervolted card would randomly crash at P7 1580Mhz where it runs really 1500-1540Mhz in tests and games.

And also why when driver resets it stays on GPU clock 1650Mhz when it's 1630Mhz default. (as the screenshot above)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  13. gd42

gd42 Guest

GPU:
    RX470 O4G
    Hi tede,

Thank you for this tool. I'm new to mining, and set up my rig based on the tutorial on the mining.help website.

My problem is that after making any change in OverdriveNTool, I have to restart the computer to see any kind of change in hashrates in Claymore.
    GPU-Z shows that the changes are being applied instantly and I'm able to freeze any cards by undervolting (no restart needed), yet there is no change in the hashrates in Claymore (even if I restart it).

My rig consists of 5 Asus Strix RX470 O4G, Asus H-270-plus mobo and a server PSU. I'm using windows 10 (latest version), the blockchain beta driver (without AMD settings installed), and Claymore Dual miner 10.6. I'm using overclock.bat (reset and apply profiles).

Is there anything I can do to diagnose what could be the cause of this?

14. dud56

dud56 Guest

GPU:
    amd 7650m
    tede, thank you much for a good util!

Guys, maybe some used it with old r9 390, 390x or 290 cards. What driver needs for a work it and what settings applied fine?
    When i'm try to use any voltage settings, i'm geting reboot (With blockchain drivers aug23)
    Thank for your answers!

15. FidelisAdUrnam

FidelisAdUrnam Guest

GPU:
    Vega FE
    Someone give this forum member a GPU Utility of 2017 award!

16. deksman2

deksman2 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB (mobile)
    This program doesn't work on RX 580 4GB (mobile version) in GL702ZC laptop.
    The GPU is basically registered as a desktop version in a laptop... but underclocked.
    Any idea why changing the settings doesn't affect anything?

I'm trying to lower the voltage... but when applying the changes, I just get the above error like others.

17. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Hi deksman2, what errorcode do you get when trying to apply?
    If -8 (ADL_ERR_NOT_SUPPORTED) I can't do much about that, GPU is blocked from using wattman api
    If -1 you probably set to high/too low values
    You can try to use built in SoftPowerPlayTable Editor to change Pstates. After using it and restarting driver or windows click on "Reset all".

mirh likes this.
  18. robsenponte

robsenponte Guest

GPU:
    RX 570
    @tede
    I'm also facing the THIS GPU IS NOT SUPPORTED problem with RX570s.

Can you tell me how to fix this?

19. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    Try to use DDU, reinstall driver or restore oryginal bios.

20. robsenponte

robsenponte Guest

GPU:
    RX 570
    Thank you for fast reply, @tede

Tried that. Didn't work for me. Do you have any further suggestions?